Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default "Thin Red Line" Decal

Hey Fellas,

I just bought a new (to me) 2014 Tahoe SSV, and I'm in the process of rigging it up for department work.

I'm trying to differentiate it a little bit, but I like a sleek factory look and I'm not a big fan of stickers all over the place. Ideally, I'd just like to take the front and rear Chevy "Bow-Tie" emblems and overlay them with a black background and thin red line through the middle.

I've heard about the "Plastidip" stuff lately, and I'm open to that, but I'm curious if any of you guys know where you can find decal overlays or just emblems pre-made with the thin red line instead of standard chevy gold. Let me know what you know!

Your not going to put any lights on it? If You use LED lights you can put a ton of them on before you have to go to a higher amperage alternator.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Your not going to put any lights on it? If You use LED lights you can put a ton of them on before you have to go to a higher amperage alternator.
    Lights/Siren are allowed with this department, and this vehicle was used as a POV by the previous owner so it does come with some really nice Whelen stuff already on it. It's all interior and hidden without any FD badging, as I'm not trying to draw a bunch of attention to myself when I'm not using it for Fire stuffs. And it gives it a nice sleek stock look that I like. But I would like a subtle way for other FFs to know that I'm on the same team...I think the thin red line is subtle enough!

Quote Originally Posted by andross View Post
    Lights/Siren are allowed with this department, and this vehicle was used as a POV by the previous owner so it does come with some really nice Whelen stuff already on it. It's all interior and hidden without any FD badging, as I'm not trying to draw a bunch of attention to myself when I'm not using it for Fire stuffs. And it gives it a nice sleek stock look that I like. But I would like a subtle way for other FFs to know that I'm on the same team...I think the thin red line is subtle enough!
    Oh wow, your a certified firefighter?

Forum Member

Check online

Check custom shops

Flea market
    Last edited by fire49; 04-28-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Oh wow, your a certified firefighter?
    I'm a happy volunteer. I realize career guys have more training, but I still work hard at what I do and I'm very excited to be a part of the brotherhood...so from my viewpoint, we all work on the same team with the same goal, but career people get to do it for a living, which is pretty dang awesome!

Is the red line only for career people, or those of a certain rank? I definitely don't want to step on any feet, but I thought that symbolized ALL fire workers. If I'm wrong, let me know so I don't inadvertently **** people off...just trying to do a little something to increase that brotherly love feel!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Much appreciated, I'll check those out! I was hoping for something pre-fabbed, they don't seem to have much for the 2014 bow-ties...but if I can't find another way, this would be a good alternative.
    Last edited by andross; 04-29-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Forum Member

http://www.emergencystuff.com/Search...Thin+red+line+

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/thin-red-line-decal

I think your best shot is let a good painter do it!! Check some custom shops, motorcycle customizers

You can easily make this with a razor blade and some black vinyl sticker material. I make decals all the time this way. You might be able to use some wide electrical tape or something if you can find it..but the plasti-dip idea would be great for the black. The stuff really works as advertised and many people use it. Then, go to walmart or some other store and go to the trailer wiring and truck section. There you should find a package with the red and white DOT reflective tape..It comes in strips as well as small rolls.

Cut a piece of the red to fit across the bowtie on top of the plasti-dip. Leave the backing on the tape while you are cutting it to fit, and when you are done, peel the backing and stick it on.

I like the thin red line stuff, but all mine I do use reflective tape. I use 3M Scotchlite reflective vinyl. You probably won't find it in a store though. They make it in several different colors. I use the black too..which really looks cool. It is black until light hits it, and then it turns a grayish silver in the reflection. This would look cool instead of the plasti-dip. Up to you though; The way I first mentioned is easily obtainable materials.

Here's a link to some small cut pieces of 3M Scotchlite

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-RED-DIAMO...item20e5e51816

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-680-BLACK...0dc422&vxp=mtr

Good luck.

Thread Information