Forum Member

Default volunteering while in school

I am a 20 year old full time college student in Washington state and I want to start volunteering to gain some experience for when I want to apply as a paid firefighter. I am applying to a volunteer position and I was wondering what the volunteer time requirements are for you, I know every department is different I just want to see what others do. Also after testing, if offered the position what do you do between the time you get hired and when you go to fire academy? Also do you as a volunteer do 12 or 24 hour shifts or how are you scheduled. One last question, how long after you apply did you hear back from the department? Sorry for all the basic questions but I just want an idea before I turn in my application. Thank you!

Forum Member

Like you say it is specific to each dept

Questions you should be asking where you apply

Suggest highly you stick to school unless they will let you do weekends only

What is your degree going to be and i take it you are talking four year

MembersZone Subscriber

There are multiple answers to all your questions, as fire49 points out. Only the specific department can truly answer any of them.

It's possible there are departments in the vicinity of the school which deal regularly with students who are or want to be firefighters. Some may even have bunk-in programs. If that's the case, they're probably used to being flexible.

I'd bet you can balance your school work with the requirements of most volunteer departments. But your schoolwork is important - you may need to fall back on it if firefighting doesn't work out either in the short term or the long term once you graduate.

Good luck with your studies and your dream to become a firefighter.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are multiple answers to all your questions, as fire49 points out. Only the specific department can truly answer any of them.

It's possible there are departments in the vicinity of the school which deal regularly with students who are or want to be firefighters. Some may even have bunk-in programs. If that's the case, they're probably used to being flexible.

I'd bet you can balance your school work with the requirements of most volunteer departments. But your schoolwork is important - you may need to fall back on it if firefighting doesn't work out either in the short term or the long term once you graduate.

Good luck with your studies and your dream to become a firefighter.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information