• 1 Post By captain7
  • 1 Post By Bones42
  • 1 Post By FyredUp
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02
  • 1 Post By MemphisE34a

Thread: SCBA Seat Brackets

Forum Member

Default SCBA Seat Brackets

For future purchases I was exploring Immi's Smart Dock and Zico Ez-Loc SCBA Brackets. For those that have experience with either or both what are the some of the pro's and con's to them. My department hasn't used either one yet, so any information would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Check to see who is a dealer in your area and see if they will let you demo a bracket in your truck.

We have had our new engine for about 8-9 months with Smart Dock's. Nobody is complaining but they are pricey compared to the old style 100.00 brackets of years ago.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure we're using the Zico mounts in our newest engine.

Overall, it's far superior to the old strap around the SCBA versions I've encountered in the past. There's no reaching behind to hunt for the strap ends. There's no need to frequently adjust the strap because somehow it just doesn't reach all the way into the latch even though your putting the exact same SCBA back into the seat. There's no forgetting to undo the strap before you put the pack on while sitting in the seat. If you change SCBA, whether going to a different brand or just changing cylinder sizes, it's a simple adjustment rather than having to replace a bunch of brackets.

We've had the new engine a little over 4 years now and been through a change in SCBA brand. The only real problems we've had is sometimes it takes several tries to get the bracket to lock down when putting SCBA back in the seats. Sometimes it's a matter of not having the SCBA properly positioned, sometimes it's probably a matter of not having the mount properly adjusted.

Forum Member

We put the Zico EZ-Loc brackets on an engine we put in service in 2011. They work fine but the problem we have is that we have two different lengths of bottles. Both the same capacity but one has a slightly longer neck, maybe 1/2" variance. Difference in lengths isn't readily noticeable until you really start to compare the two and is probably a result of ordering replacement bottles somewhere down the line. As a result, if we set the brackets for shorter bottle the taller bottles wouldn't fit. When set for the taller bottles the short bottles would fall out of the bracket when driving down the road or tilting the cab. It was a real PITA putting the truck back into service after a call. If we didn't have two different lengths of bottles I think everything would have been fine.
    To solve our problem and to make the troops happy the Zico brackets were replaced with Bostrom SecureAll. You may want to check them out as well.

On a side note, we do have (4) Zico EZ Loc SCBA brackets for sale. Asking $400 each and the Assistant Chief said get ready to negotiate so if you are interested send me an IM.

Regardless the brand you chose, they are all an improvement over dealing with the strap style to hold the pack in the seat.

Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

If it were up to me, I would go back to mounting them in a compartment.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Clamps

We have the Zico Quik Hold MWAB brackets on our rescue/pumper. They are terrible. You have to reach into the bracket to reseat the pak. The straps are always behind the seat where you can't reach them once you are belted in. Sometimes you pull the release strap and it doesn't let the pak go. Various Scott cylinder diameters are also an issue. We are looking the the Smart Dock brackets on our new engine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Why?? If it weren't expediant, 95% of fire depts. wouldn't be doing it.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I dread the day this happens, even though I see the safety crowd pushing for it. I can remember the days we had to get the cases out of the compartment and donn the SCBA upon arrival at the scene. I like the convenience of having the SCBA mounted in the seat and able to be quickly donned while en route.
    RFDACM02 and Fireresq1419 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Why?? If it weren't expediant, 95% of fire depts. wouldn't be doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I dread the day this happens, even though I see the safety crowd pushing for it. I can remember the days we had to get the cases out of the compartment and donn the SCBA upon arrival at the scene. I like the convenience of having the SCBA mounted in the seat and able to be quickly donned while en route.
    It must take you two longer to put an airpack on than it does me.....
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

It must take you two longer to put an airpack on than it does me.....
    Do you really want to go down this path?

Frankly, I prefer not having to take any time at all to put my SCBA on once I have arrived on scene. I would rather take that time doing my own size-up, pulling a pre-connect, getting a ladder, tools or whatever and ging to work. I don't doubt that you can donn an air pack very quickly, as can I, but neither of us can do that as quickly as the guy donning it en route and already going to work while you are at the compartment donning yours.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Do you really want to go down this path?

Frankly, I prefer not having to take any time at all to put my SCBA on once I have arrived on scene. I would rather take that time doing my own size-up, pulling a pre-connect, getting a ladder, tools or whatever and ging to work. I don't doubt that you can donn an air pack very quickly, as can I, but neither of us can do that as quickly as the guy donning it en route and already going to work while you are at the compartment donning yours.
    I don't know. How long does it really take to pull something out of a compartment and adjust 3 straps?

I'm not talking about getting full fledge on air - I don't do that even with SCBA seat brackets. I can be putting on an air pack and doing a size up at the same time.

I respect your opinion. Mine is that moving them into a compartment wouldn't be that bad.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

I don't know. How long does it really take to pull something out of a compartment and adjust 3 straps?

I'm not talking about getting full fledge on air - I don't do that even with SCBA seat brackets. I can be putting on an air pack and doing a size up at the same time.

I respect your opinion. Mine is that moving them into a compartment wouldn't be that bad.
    I respect your opinion. Mine is leave them in the jump seats so there is one less thing to do upon arrival.

By the way, I am in no way suggesting masking up and going on air before you get off the rig. In fact I try to stay off from air as long as I remain in a safe environment so as to not waste the precious few minutes of air we have.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 05-09-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    MemphisE34a likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

My biggest issue with moving the ones on the engine back to the compartments would be that I would have to give up the space. We actually have 2 in a compartment and the other 4 in the seats, but for the life of me, I can't think of what I would take off the engine to fit the packs into compartments.

For the number of calls that we run that require air (and immediately need it), I think that it could be argued to put them in compartments. The issue with storage space, though is what will keep them in the seats.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    For the number of calls that we run that require air (and immediately need it), I think that it could be argued to put them in compartments. The issue with storage space, though is what will keep them in the seats.
    That's exactly our issue. Most of the time the guys at the outboard positions exit the cab and turn around and pull the pack, as there's no doubt stepping out with the pack on is less than optimal.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Having them in cases reminds me of the 70's......with todays technology brackets make it faster and safer. Why go back to the 70's and stow them...when all you need is a bracket molded in your seat. Zico makes all sorts of brackets and just pick the one that suits you....I know we did.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good SCBA Article

This is pretty recent. Funny how their surveys indicated guys wanted the pak seats to recline. I would suspect that was from paid staff that are used to reclining in the tv room and want their pak seats match

http://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com...-pitfalls.html

Forum Member

My engine seats 5 in the rear cab. Having 5 guys get out, open a compartment or 2, pull out 5 SCBA boxes and then don them will in no way ever be more efficient than those 5 guys strapping them on during the ride. Officer straps his on as well during the ride.

The driver of the vehicle has one in a compartment.

With a smaller number of guys getting off, I could see it as workable.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain7 View Post
    This is pretty recent. Funny how their surveys indicated guys wanted the pak seats to recline. I would suspect that was from paid staff that are used to reclining in the tv room and want their pak seats match

http://www.fireapparatusmagazine.com...-pitfalls.html
    Yeah that's hilarious...
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBA Options

I think just because we are considering moving air paks to a compartment, does not necessitate placing them in the 1970's storage cases. As mentioned earlier, a nice vertical board or a walk-up drop bracket is a good option. The slow-down and evaluate the scene before going to work tactics also work well with this option.
    MemphisE34a likes this.

Forum Member

If the scene is on the officer side of truck, but your packs are stored on the driver side....what are you evaluating?

and if you can't manage to slow down and evaluate with a pak on your back...you aren't going to slow down getting one on from a compartment either.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Odds are there wouldn't be any slowing down at all. People will be rushing to the compartment to get their pack on.

There is no logical reason to take the SCBA out of the seat brackets. This is nothing more than safety sally bull schitt.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Back to the original question .....

We have had the Smart-Dock on our newest engine for about 8 months, and we like them. The only issue is they require a little technique to pull out of the seat as some of our volunteers arriving POV will do when they doff them on-scene as compared to doffing them enroute, but overall, it's a minor issue.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Back to the original question .....

We have had the Smart-Dock on our newest engine for about 8 months, and we like them. The only issue is they require a little technique to pull out of the seat as some of our volunteers arriving POV will do when they doff them on-scene as compared to doffing them enroute, but overall, it's a minor issue.
    They "doff" them when enroute? Is that due to a no interior rule?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    They "doff" them when enroute? Is that due to a no interior rule?
    Sorry, but that one is a pretty funny spelling error.

More to the point, do those arriving have jump seats in their POV so they can already have donned them before they get on scene and have to doff them? If so, what type are they using?

Forum Member

Odds are there wouldn't be any slowing down at all. People will be rushing to the compartment to get their pack on.

There is no logical reason to take the SCBA out of the seat brackets. This is nothing more than safety sally bull schitt.
    There are other reasons - two I can think of immediately are comfort and cleanliness. It gets old having to ride against wet airpack straps or smelling like smoke.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Thread Information