Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Does your FD offer you time off for training?

I'm curious to see how departments across the country handle this matter. My employer does not cover us for non-mandatory training. We are required to use vacation time or trades.

What about your FD?

Forum Member

same.........

You will find that most places do not offer any compensation for non-mandated training.

Some places will allow you to attend non-mandated training during duty time with a request in ahead of time, and may even cover the cost.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Generally speaking, we also have to do trades or vacation time for non-mandatory training. There are a couple of caveats, however:

Those who pay their own way to FDIC and other similar programs can get conference leave, which is granted on a case-by-case basis by the COD.

We do have "education leave" but that's generally only granted for those taking college courses directly related to their job. EMT-P and Fire Science courses are the two things that generally get approved for EL.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

What about classes required for promotion?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan22 View Post
    Certain classes are paid for and time given

It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan22 View Post
    Promotion isn't mandated, you're on your own in most cases (not all!)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Generally, classes required for promotion will be on your own time. Our department will sometimes provide the classes for our own members, but that all depends on the number of students, length of the class, availability of state-qualified instructors, etc.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We are compensated for the vast majority of training that we attend. Sometimes it's OT, other times it's just an adjustment to our schedule so the hours even out.

Forum Member

Based on those posts, I'm pretty lucky.

My full-time gig is very generous when it comes to sending us to classes. In the 5 years since I have been employed, they have sent me to, paid for, and paid me while attending the NFA twice, FDIC twice and 4 40-hour certification classes plus 80-hour Driver/Operator, in addition to numerous 1 and 2 day local, regional or speciality classes. They have also paid for several one and two day (weekend) clasees taken on my own time.

All of these options are also open to volunteers as well.

For out of town classes, the district will put us up in a hotel and either provide a department vehicle or pay for fuel. They will not pay for food, with the exception of FDIC.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

LA, one difference between our departments is the fact that we have 550 personnel, so trying to fund training, time off, travel, etc for the amount of interested parties in a department that size is next to impossible. There are times that we get "benefits" for some out-of-town training (pool cars, etc), but generally the guys do it on their own and just accept that it's part of their own responsibility for professional development.

My VFD funds two out-of-town training classes (meals, registration, lodging) per member per year, and allows use of the chief's vehicle for members attending the training. FDIC and FRI are exempt however, due to the high costs for registration and travel.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Our local District Fire Department send our firefighters to training on our dime. Full ride and lodging. The catch is we only have 12 firefighters and one part time Chief....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

It varies greatly around here. Some departments cover everything, some nothing. When I took Staff and Command (a 40 hr week per month for 9 months) 30+ of 40 guys were on department time. I used almost 200 hours of leave to go.

My Department's policies are:

-Fire Officer I/II/III-compensated at straight time per contract and duty relief provided.

-Hazmat/Tech Rescue team training- may be paid OT for short classes, and are often put on 40 hrs for classes that last a week or longer. OT is based on availability of grant funding from the county.

-Our contract allows reimbursement for any job related training up to 30 credit hours of tuition (based on community college rates) + fees/books. That is about $3000 annually-it was recently increased when they increased the qualifications to be chief. FDIC registration is included, but no travel costs. Time off is the member's responsibility-Paid Time Off (240 hrs/yr), vacation, or trades.

-Local seminars and classes-Dept occasionally will sponsor up to 2 members per shift to attend training, with relief from duty for the ones working. Dept pays the cost of the class, and takes it from your education reimbursement funds. Will usually give you a dept vehicle to drive to/from if a significant distance.

National Fire Academy- I had to take my own time off to go to NFA classes, but fire prevention personnel have been allowed to go to job specific courses on dept time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    LA, one difference between our departments is the fact that we have 550 personnel, so trying to fund training, time off, travel, etc for the amount of interested parties in a department that size is next to impossible. There are times that we get "benefits" for some out-of-town training (pool cars, etc), but generally the guys do it on their own and just accept that it's part of their own responsibility for professional development.

My VFD funds two out-of-town training classes (meals, registration, lodging) per member per year, and allows use of the chief's vehicle for members attending the training. FDIC and FRI are exempt however, due to the high costs for registration and travel.
    That is an advantage of working for a small, or in my case, a very small (8 employees).
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    That is an advantage of working for a small, or in my case, a very small (8 employees).
    More correctly, that's the advantage of working for your department.

I work in a small career department (32 firefighters and the chief) and we have no budget for outside training. I know guys in a number so similar size (and smaller) departments in my state that are in the same boat.

Thread Information