Forum Member

Default Question on Chemical Plant Fire Brigades.

I am currently a contracted security guard with ABM Security Services. As part of our contract, we support the plant's fire brigade. We suffer from a high turnover rate due to the fact that the majority of us are actual volunteer firefighters and were led to believe that we would be doing more fire service than security. I am currently working on a proposal for the plant's management along with my management to start a separate contract to allow us firefighters to run the fire brigade 24/7 like an actual outside career department. I am trying to get reliable information on the benefits of us being strictly to fire. We are regulated by the US Coast Guard and I cannot seem to get any information from them. I have also looked at other government agencies that we fall under and cannot locate any regulations that pertain to firefighting. Currently we are unable to sleep on the plant which I believe is the plant's own rule but I have heard differently. Anyone with RELIABLE information please help me out.

Forum Member

Thank you are biting off more than possible

If they already have an on site brigade and more than likely the city is their back up.

Yes your contract is to help as per your contract

Have seen similar set up and it was more security / fire prevention inspections
    Man the fire extinguisher till it runs out.

Suggest apply at a city dept

Forum Member

The Emergency team at this facility handles 100% of all emergent calls and requests mutual aide as needed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdoades1 View Post
    The Emergency team at this facility handles 100% of all emergent calls and requests mutual aide as needed.
    Ok and you want to be a part of it?

Under the security contract probably will not happen and they probably will not change

Forum Member

No sir we supplement the team. We are security firefighters. We are wanting to take over the whole thing.

Forum Member

I guess make your pitch and see what happens

Forum Member

So why do you want to take it over?

How many fires do they have a month? Other emergencies?

Unless it's a large facility, I doubt they have enough "emergencies" to support a dedicated fire department. Even if it was a dedicated fire department, I would think that the vast majority of your duties would be extinguisher checks and repair, hose testing, hydrant testing and equipment checks and maintenance. Is that much more exciting than security?

We have a medium sized refinery in our district, and they do not have a full-time fire department because of the lack of emergencies.

Their fire brigade does a fine job.

As far as benefits, there may be some insurance savings, and it's possible, though unlikely, that it will offset the labor costs of the dedicated suppression staff. Obviously, there would be opportunities for increased and specialized training, which would have some operational benefits. And there would likely be less equipment out of service due to increased PM, and likely faster turnaround times on repairs.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-21-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Many industrial brigades are designed around NFPA 600, "Standard for Industrial Fire Brigades". This standard describes how to plan for, organize, and establish training requirements for a fire brigade. Industrial firefigher training levels and requirements are found in NFPA 1081, "Industrial Firefighter Professional Qualifications". You said the US Coast Guard regulates your facility; federal government organizations, most notabley the Departments of Defense and Energy, require use of NFPA Standards for emergency services planning, organization, training, analysis of hazards and risk management programs.

It appears the facility has a functioning fire brigade with management support. In my past experience, you would need to show how moving to a combination security/fire organization would save the company money. For example, your proposal could show the facility saves money by having employees working on production versus spending time at fire, EMS, and other training sessions, etc. Additionally, if 24 hour shifts are desired, sleeping quarters may require sprinkler systems, smoke detection capability, etc. in accordance with the facility's fire safety plan.

Also, how will commitment of staff impact the facility's security posture? What happens to the security level of the facility when a fire, etc. occurs and resources are committed to the emergency?

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by EMAGUY; 08-11-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Thread Information