Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Former Marine22

Thread: Is starting out as a volunteer FF the path to take to a paid department?

Forum Member

Default Is starting out as a volunteer FF the path to take to a paid department?

Hello. I am new to the forums here. Just a quick summary of myself. I'm a 22 year old male and I'm a Former Marine.

I want to be a fire fighter, so I was thinking of volunteering in my town to get certifications. They pay FF 1 & FF2. I think it will give me good experience and training, and also it will tell me if the career is for me or not.

Now to my question. Is volunteering the way to go if you want to get into a paid department? I visited some department websites in my state, and most require at least FF 1. I would get my EMT cert as well..

But at the gym the other day I was working out with some of the volunteer fire fighters, they said most departments will not take you if you already had training. I thought that was odd because the qualifications I looked at some of the departments site stated FF 1 etc.

What is up with that?

So is volunteering the way to go to start out?

I live in CT by the way

Thanks in advance guys. Semper Fi.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/cwp/view.asp?a=831&q=253822
    Here's a listing from the state of CT for fire jobs. Two of these jobs listed require CT FF1 and another requires EMT-B. So yes in Connecticut certs do pay off. However this is mostly for small fire departments. Larger FD's such as Waterbury and New Haven will not care what fire certs you have. If you want a fire career in CT first step is get your CPAT. Spring registration has passed, but the fall test will be taking applications later this year. Most FD's require you to get your CPAT, out of pocket, before they will hire you. Others will require it to even test. Here's the CPAT site http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/cwp/view.asp?...6722&cfpcNav=|

Forum Member

Not sure how they roll in CT, but I know 16 career guys/girls from my department that started as volleys and still do volunteer. Couldn't hurt I say.
    Last edited by William Bourbonstreet; 05-06-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Forum Member

Does not hurt

But best thing to do is get required certs as fast as possible than test test test, everywhere and anywhere

Do not limit to certain depts

Forum Member

Just be aware that if you certify to firefighter one and two, and you get a career job, you are back at the fire academy to start all over again....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fchief10 View Post
    Just be aware that if you certify to firefighter one and two, and you get a career job, you are back at the fire academy to start all over again....
    Nothing wrong with that

Forum Member

It all depends on the department and the state. Do not limit yourself to a small area go out and get the job you want. Having experience could not hurt you and may even help you. Depeding on the department if you already have the certs they may or may not run you back through the academy it all depends on what they are hiring for (ie: trainee or already certified). Most larger departments however will send you back through which should be an issue if you have already completed the certs once and you'll be getting paid the second time around.

Thread Information