3 75.00%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By scfirefighter3212

Thread: Education

Forum Member

Default Education

I will complete my Bachelors in Fire Science Management here in the next 2 months and will then be moving on to my Masters. However, I am at a crossroads and looking at 2 different programs. 1) Eastern Kentucky University's Master's in Emergency Management with a concentration in Fire Safety and 2.)Penn State University's Master's in Public Administration. My question is as I progress up the proverbial ladder of the fire service which of the 2 concentrations would serve me better.

Forum Member

Before looking at Graduate degrees, are you already a career firefighter ? If so, ask your department what they would like. Will they pay for you to get a degree, will they pay you for having it, and is it required for promotions. Masters degrees are certainly beyond what any front line firefighter or even a company officer would need, this level of education is for Chief officers really. I really don't believe anyone will be able to tell you one degree is better than the other without a lot more background information.

Forum Member

So to answer the question. I am not career yet I am active duty military for another few months. Also most if not all of the career departments in my area are now beginning to require degrees associates for LT, bachelors for Captains and Masters for chief officers. Most also do not do reimbursement it's on you to go out and get it. I will be using my GI a Bill to finish my Masters it's not a question of if it's a question of which concentration would provide the best opportunity in the event something unfortunate happens to me that I can not work as a firefighter any more.

Forum Member

Forgot

Fire Protection Engineer!!!!!!!

Forum Member

very true I did

Forum Member

do you have your emt or medic? have you been applying and testing at departments in your area. those degrees aren't gonna help you get hired. if something happens and you can't be a firefighter you'd have been better off getting a nursing degree.

Forum Member

I'd be a little careful with running out to get a Masters right after you finish a Bachelors with no experience in between. The current trend seems to show people doing this, not just in the fire service but all around, need to have that work experience in between.

As former active duty military and a current reservist I would also stress try to go to a real college. I get hit daily with crap from AMU among others. They promise to take my ERB (Army enlisted brief) and do a "wash" and give me all these credits and I'll only need 30 more to finish college. Don't bother! Go to a real brick and mortar school or the online path from a real brick and mortar college. There have been a lot of news stories as of the last few years about these for-profit junk schools just sucking in the military to get that money.

Forum Member

Yes I do have my emt and having been applying and testing in my area. I have no desire to go to nursing school after 9 years active duty as a Hospital Corpsman it's just not something that intrigues me all that much.

Forum Member

As for the experience factor I understand where you are coming from. I am also very aware that there is a difference in many cases between volunteer and career departments and I have been a volunteer in 4 states over the last 15 years and have seen both the good and bad to the workings of both and the training levels in different areas. Before you knock schools like AMU make sure the facts are straight. AMU for one will take your ERB or at least they did take my SMART Transcript from the Navy and gave me some credits for it. Yes it may not be a massive ammount but every little bit helps in reducing what you need to take. They also do in fact have a brick and mortar building. I have spoken with several administrators for Graduate programs at various schools and the first question they ask is where my degree is coming from. When I tell them they have all said the same thing, that it was a good school. While yes some of these schools are not the greatest I would personally recommend AMU to anybody.
    b_jackson likes this.

Forum Member

that's great you've got your emt, however, you're concerned about climbing the ladder when you don't even have a ladder to climb on. get on the job first and then figure out the next step. since you've only got ac

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter3212 View Post
    As for the experience factor I understand where you are coming from. I am also very aware that there is a difference in many cases between volunteer and career departments and I have been a volunteer in 4 states over the last 15 years and have seen both the good and bad to the workings of both and the training levels in different areas. Before you knock schools like AMU make sure the facts are straight. AMU for one will take your ERB or at least they did take my SMART Transcript from the Navy and gave me some credits for it. Yes it may not be a massive ammount but every little bit helps in reducing what you need to take. They also do in fact have a brick and mortar building. I have spoken with several administrators for Graduate programs at various schools and the first question they ask is where my degree is coming from. When I tell them they have all said the same thing, that it was a good school. While yes some of these schools are not the greatest I would personally recommend AMU to anybody.

AMU is a ripoff. Employers don't hire AMU. Do some research, if you want to transfer anything out from AMU to another college they won't accept AMU. Trust me, I know!

Forum Member

You can say what you will about AMU however, I did try to transfer my credits from there to Eastern Kentucky a while back and once they did my evaluation they accepted almost all of my credits the only ones that did not carry over were ones where the classes did not match the degree requirements due to it being a different major. I don't know what your experience was with them but i know mine has been all positive.
    b_jackson likes this.

Forum Member

Get hired first! If you don't do that, get a fire protection engineering degree. It will allow you to work in fire marshals offices without competing for the spots on the street. It will also open up several doors in the private sector. It will be great for promotions or if you want to run a consulting firm on the side.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input FF_America. As of July I will have already completed a degree in Fire Science Management so it's a little late for the change now.
    b_jackson likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5000 View Post
    AMU is a ripoff. Employers don't hire AMU. Do some research, if you want to transfer anything out from AMU to another college they won't accept AMU. Trust me, I know!
    I along with my wife and many of my former Marines got hired with our degrees from AMU.
    Last edited by b_jackson; 05-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Thread Information