Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FWFD122

Thread: 2014 AFG Vehicle Advice

Forum Member

Default 2014 AFG Vehicle Advice

I would like to get a little advice on applying for a vehicle grant on next years afg. We cover an area of about 50 square miles with a population of about 3,000. Only about 1 square mile is covered by hydrants. We run about 175 calls per year. We currently have a 2012 F-350 brush truck, a 2004 1500gpm 1250 gal pumper, and a 1997 1500gpm 750 gal rescue pumper. We do cover a mental retardation facility that has a couple 4 story buildings. What would we have the best chance of getting awarded for as far as apparatus? I'm guessing either a tanker or an aerial, what would be your opinion? On the aerial side, we are unfortunately limited to 10' high which means Sutphen is the only manufacturer I am aware of that builds under this and they are pricey, and this also limits the used / refurb option for us significantly.

Forum Member

If you do not currently have a Tanker or Aerial, your chances of being awarded one are slim to none. Your current fleet would have essentially no chance of replacement as well.

Forum Member

I have one department that I am on and do there grants, we have applied for 5 years for a pumper. Have a open cab pumper, brush truck, and a service truck. All are over 35 years old. 4100 population, 100 runs per year, 15 sq. miles. Never made it past the computer. Hopefully this year. It is just hard with the vehicles and not knowing what the computer likes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by madfirelieutenant View Post
    I have one department that I am on and do there grants, we have applied for 5 years for a pumper. Have a open cab pumper, brush truck, and a service truck. All are over 35 years old. 4100 population, 100 runs per year, 15 sq. miles. Never made it past the computer. Hopefully this year. It is just hard with the vehicles and not knowing what the computer likes.
    I could be way off base here, and I am by no means an expert, but my gut tells me that if you havent made it to peer review in 5 years of trying, there must be some other problem with your application, or you are not trying for the highest priority for your community size.
    LVFD301 likes this.

Forum Member

Also not getting the whole story, it isn't about the truck being replaced by itself, it's about all the trucks in the same category. Like blaster668's situation, even if that was an 87 rescue-pumper with open cab, it was already replaced as the frontline pumper by the 2004 pumper.

That's all AFG is concerned with is frontline in each category, per station that is. So 2 stations with 1 under 20yrs and 1 over 20yrs mean it's scoring higher than a 1 station department with same age trucks, but behind anyone with 1 station and none under 20yrs.

Or it could be simple stats, high competition means it may take 3-6 years to beat the computer and get read.

Forum Member

Okay, I knew that fleet age wouldn't allow us to get a pumper, but I was not aware that getting a type of apparatus that you don't already have was difficult too.

Forum Member

Depend on the type of vehicle, it falls under a "new mission" which is a lower priority than meeting your existing mission. With limited funding available, it wouldn't be prudent or feasible to ignore the primary existing mission goals of departments while allowing others to begin new services.

Forum Member

Tanker isn't so much a new mission since it's about water supply and that's the base of any suppression operation. Aerial on the other hand is considered "new-ish" because you don't have one and if moving up vertically is a need you're calling in someone else's. Which theoretically is still in existence, but maybe aerial isn't close.

But that's the pro/con listing in that if you need mobile water supply the tanker need is greater and will have a better argument to go with it since any fire you need water. Even though I'm a truck company guy the stick doesn't always go up on every fire, it's more about the V-E-S tasks that truck co handles which can be done off of any apparatus with the equipment.

Then add in the higher cost of the aerial in comparison and the general rule of thumb which is the more you ask for the less likely it is to happen kicks in.

Thread Information