Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Overheating/Getting Too Hot?

I couldn't find a great place to post this, so I thought this forum would be most fitting...

I was wondering if any of you suffer from overheating and what you do to cope? I know that *everybody* gets hot, but I'm not talking about the typical discomfort that most people face. A couple years ago I started having problems with overheating because of an autoimmune disease that I have. Basically the part of my brain the controls temperature regulation is kind of on the fritz, and when I get hot, I get *really* hot and it takes me an incredibly long time to cool down and I pretty much turn beet red (which, of course, is pointed out to me by just about everybody.)

Anyway, do any of you have any experience with using cooling belts, etc? I know this is such a far fetched question because it's a pretty rare condition but I figured I'd ask anyway. Obviously I don't want to wear any more "gear" than we already have to, but with summer coming up I'm pretty much at the point where I'll do just about anything.

Forum Member

Are you on a paid or volunteer dept??

Have you sought medical help asking for advice?

Forum Member

Volunteer dept.

Yes- I have sought medical help for my slew of symptoms from multiple doctors.

I guess the real question is: do any of you use cooling towels/belts and are they effective- and if they are/aren't, which brand did you try? I have this same thread posted in a fitness forum somewhere else because I thought outdoor runners/cyclists/etc might have insight as well. Still open to thoughts/suggestions, though.

Forum Member

Would have said if paid , hydrate well the day before shift work

Maybe in your case stay hydrated

Does your dept have any cooling fans or seats??

Forum Member

I've been doing lots of reading about dieting and how it can control some auto-immune diseases.

If your interested look into a book called the Paleo code by chris kresser and start there. I read his book and it has helped me. For you since its holding you back I bet it will at least improve whats going on in your body.

Thread Information