Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187
  • 1 Post By RFDACM02

Thread: Scene Lighting - apparatus mounted

Default Scene Lighting - apparatus mounted

Looking into options for scene lighting for an engine. No light tower. PTO gen with 15k. This would be in addition to 12v scene lighting. Looking to see what people suggest for general scene lighting, figure to have flood lights of some type on each side of vehicle.

Thoughts?

Brands, good and bad.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

LED is definitely the way to go. A brow light on the front, a pair of floods on the back, and two telescoping poles on the back of the cab at a minimum. A pair of floods with stands and cords, and that should cover 99% of your needs. As for brands, look for American made if possible, and available parts and service. I've not heard of any brands that are junk, at least none that are common brands.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

LED all the way. I'm a big fan of the FRC Spectra 20k and 15k lumen floods, but the Whelen Pioneers are nice as well. You wouldn't go wrong with either selection.

Low current draw, don't require the use of a generator, don't attract bugs, and bright as hell.

Get your local rep to come out and demo them for you. A single LED head on each side of the vehicle will provide you MORE than enough lighting for your routine incidents.
    ChiefDog likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Looking into options for scene lighting for an engine. No light tower. PTO gen with 15k.
    I'm curious why the 15k generator with no light tower, seems robust for typical power? Generally we'd develop our spec, inclusive of all power needs, then match the generator to the need.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-05-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: keyboard caused spellig errors
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

The 15k will most likely be downsized. That was a left over from our previous truck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Are you going to be running hydraulic rescue tools or some other heavy-duty electrical appliances off the rig? If not, and you're the only electrical load will be the floodlights, you may be able to eliminate the generator altogether.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

We have an engine with a 15kW generator - need the power to spin up the electric hydraulic rescue tool pump but once the pump is running it draws less the 4kW. We put the following FRC Optimum scene lights...

Two 1500W Halogen Telescoping Pole Lights - one each side of top mount pump panel
    Four 750W Halogen Pedestal Lights - one on each corner of the engine

This gives us 360 degree lighting and is controlled from the cab so we can light scenes up upon arrival. We just have to make sure the electric pump (also controlled in the cab) is running before lighting it up.

This set-up has worked well for us and we just purchased an engine with the same set-up. We did look at LED but cost was a factor - we already had the generator capacity so we could not justify the cost of LED lights over halogen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    LED all the way. I'm a big fan of the FRC Spectra 20k and 15k lumen floods, but the Whelen Pioneers are nice as well. You wouldn't go wrong with either selection.

Low current draw, don't require the use of a generator, don't attract bugs, and bright as hell.

Get your local rep to come out and demo them for you. A single LED head on each side of the vehicle will provide you MORE than enough lighting for your routine incidents.
    I agree about the Spectra's.... Crazy bright. Our newest engine has a Spectra brow and a telescoping light on the rear. That with 3 LED lights per side and a light tower that is run off the Generator.... http://www.firenews.org/vt/s/swanton...nVTE2new13.jpg

Completely different lighting solution than a couple 750w telescoping lights.

Look at the Lumen rating on the lights, no matter what type you choose.
    Last edited by ChiefDog; 06-05-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Forum Member

Both Whelen and FRC are great brands. The Spectras have a slightly better light pattern, but Whelen has come out with the PCP (C stands for Combination) which is a combo spot/flood. The Whelen ones can also be mounted in the lightbar. This uses some otherwise empty space if you don't have every module filled and it's less holes to put in the cab roof.

Name:  pfp2lb2.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  8.3 KB

These can be used as white warning lights, but personally I think they're too bright for that.

Forum Member

I highly recommend the FRC Spectra 20k. Our new engine has 4 on telescoping poles on the 4 corners of the body as well as 2 FRC Evolutions 15k mounted on the Power Arc ligthbar that allows them to rotate to the front and sides, as well as flash for intersection warning. We have all of this and don't have a PTO generator. This setup eliminates the darkness from the night lol

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Are you going to be running hydraulic rescue tools or some other heavy-duty electrical appliances off the rig? If not, and you're the only electrical load will be the floodlights, you may be able to eliminate the generator altogether.
    No hydraulic tools on this engine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    No hydraulic tools on this engine.
    BoxAlarm has a good point. If you can do away with the hydraulic generator, the money spent for that (gen, lights, outlets, panel box, etc) could be put towards the LED scene lights. You may still come out of it cheaper and still have better scene lighting than on your older apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefDog View Post
    BoxAlarm has a good point. If you can do away with the hydraulic generator, the money spent for that (gen, lights, outlets, panel box, etc) could be put towards the LED scene lights. You may still come out of it cheaper and still have better scene lighting than on your older apparatus.
    And you would free up a significant amount of space. In addition, the money from the generator would no go towards the LED lights you would need. It would pay for them and you would have money left over.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Bones,

As many have pointed out, FRC and Whelen both make great products. I do like the brow lights (front and side) because they are easy to switch on when you arrive on scene and do a good job.

We still use 10KW hydraulic generators, Onan brand because we have a dealership in town. I'm sure there are other quality brands out there as well. As stated, LED's can eliminate the need for a generator. I'm just a fan of "overbuilding" an apparatus, within reason, due to the fact that things will change during the life of the apparatus.

We also put two tripod lights on the tailboard. When on the apparatus they operate as any other light but you can remove them and light up the back side of the structure fairly well.

On a side note, we have top mount panels and due to the "dead space" on top of the pump we put a cord reel on each side of the pump house mounted to the underside of the pump compartment lid. This effectively utilizes some dead space and works well. The reels have attached lighted junction boxes.

Let me know if you have questions. Good luck,
    Walt
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

When we got our new engine back in January, the manufacturer misread our change order and put three FRC 15k lumen Spectra's per side instead of two per side. There's also one 20k as a brow light and one 15k on the rear.

We also had them install a Will-Burt Profiler 3.0 light tower (3000W), as our body design allowed for the installation of the light tower without impacting the hosebed or compartment space. We already had a 3kW generator on the rig to support some cord reels, so we increased this to 6kW to support the light tower as well.

You know how they say hindsight is 20/20? If we could go re-design the rig, would have saved ourselves $20,000+ and never installed the light tower or increased the generator capacity. The FRC's are simply that bright. I'm not exaggerating when I say that if you have the LED floods on, you can't even tell when the light tower is turned on and off - even at 3000W, it simply can't overcome the light provided by the high-end LED's.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

I second what BoxAlarm said. Our new Engine has the LEDs and one of our older engines has a light tower, and when both our on scene, the light tower doesn't even compare to the FRC LEDs.

Do a spec with a manufacturer with the desired lighting you have in mind then have them do an AMP report and see if you could go to a 5000-6500 honda in a dunnage area or something to save some bucks (or at least a smaller hyd gen).

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    Do a spec with a manufacturer with the desired lighting you have in mind then have them do an AMP report and see if you could go to a 5000-6500 honda in a dunnage area or something to save some bucks (or at least a smaller hyd gen).
    That's our plan-All LED 12V scene lights and a 5K Honda gas generator just to run the interior circle D lights and maybe a sawzall.

Thread Information