Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Bourbonstreet View Post
    And if this training or deploying took away from the fire department training or operations, would it be more acceptable? in reference to somebuffguy's reply above, it's not a matter of discrimination, but a matter of you be being available to do your job.

If I went into an interview and said that I take 9 month long sailing voyages every once and a while and would need the time off regardless of the department's needs, do you think they'd give me a job? No, but it doesn't mean they're discriminatory against sailors.

Anyway dude, I wish you the best. I wish I had been more proactive before getting out myself.
    I'm not employed by this department yet so I dont know what you're referring to. I was simply stating how we can't just miss training like people think we can. It doesn't work that way, even for future employment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD7 View Post
    I'm not employed by this department yet so I dont know what you're referring to. I was simply stating how we can't just miss training like people think we can. It doesn't work that way, even for future employment.
    Best advice unless you find otherwise

Test when you get out or very close

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    I meant it was discrimination when another user posted that he wouldn't hire a reservist because they may deploy. As far as allowing a service member to retake the test, nearly every exam I've ever taken offered a military make up. Maybe its just an East coast thing, but I've never seen a civil service test not allow military make ups.

I misread that, I see what you're saying now.

Out here I've never seen extended dates for military make up, but then again each process is a little different from the other.

Forum Member

Default Military during the hiring process

I am currently set to commission as a CBRNE Officer in the army national guard, and feel that being in the guard has hurt me throughout the hiring process. I have even had fire department interviews in which they have asked me how much longer of a commitment I had to the military. To me, I feel that there is no way to determine if you are brig discriminated against for being in the military. Any thoughts from others who conduct interviews or ways to get around that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sparkpowl View Post
    I am currently set to commission as a CBRNE Officer in the army national guard, and feel that being in the guard has hurt me throughout the hiring process. I have even had fire department interviews in which they have asked me how much longer of a commitment I had to the military. To me, I feel that there is no way to determine if you are brig discriminated against for being in the military. Any thoughts from others who conduct interviews or ways to get around that?
    not really, with the amount of competiton in some places, departments can pick and choose sometimes, depending on thier process.

I would have all your facts together, maybe evn written out. How much time during the year you have to report, how much time during the year you have to train, what are the posiibilities you may have to be called for an extended period of time, anything else you can think of.

That way you can inform them of possible time you may be away, and also sow them you have thought about it and how it will impact the department.

Thread Information