Forum Member

Default Mental Health Question

Hi everyone!
    I know this question has been asked before, but the situations never seem to quite apply to me, so I thought I would write my own:

Right now I'm with a volunteer department. I'm an EMT-B and hoping to get FF1 in the near future. I really want to get on with a career department, and I was hoping for some input on my chances considering my situation.

I'm 28 - about 7 years ago, I had a pretty gnarly depressive episode. It was bad (medication, hospitalization, the works). It took me a while, but I pulled out of it and have been symptom-free ever since. I still take maintenance meds, although I've managed to get off of most of them over the years. I couldn't imagine a situation that would cause me to have those kinds of problems again. In some ways, having gone through that has turned me into a stronger, more compassionate person.

I love being with the fire service, and I don't want something that happened so long ago to define the rest of my life. I've done well with the volunteer department and have no doubt in my ability to thrive in a career department.

Do I stand a chance?

Forum Member

Should

May depend on meds and how you function on them.

If you can get in touch with a HR person from a city you may never test in, ask them about the meds. Also ask about ADA and what you have to disclose or not disclose.

Good thing is you are on a volunteer dept. good history

Try to make people from the volunteer all your references

Forum Member

Part of HIPAA is that an employer has no right to ask any questions regarding your medical history. You will be required to get a physical with the department doctor but that's as far as it goes. When you get your physical the doctor will ask if your on any meds, you'll tell him you take whatever your own and you'll discuss the situation with him. The doctor is the only one who you will ever have to discuss that with. As far as the physical goes, the doctor will either declare you fit or unfit for duty, no one else will ever hear for what reason you did not pass the physical if you don't.

Make it clear to the doc you've been episode free for 7 years like you stated, and most likely you'll be fine. If the doctor doesn't clear you, see if you can get a second opinion. Being that your already on a volunteer department, you've been cleared by a doctor for firefighting duties. Paid or volunteer, its the same physical dangers, so why should it exclude you from doing it for money ?

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses! That's a good idea about asking a city I'll never test in. I hope you're right, somebuffyguy, but I hear a lot of conflicting information about that. Having never been through a hiring process, it's hard to know what to expect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Thanks for the responses! That's a good idea about asking a city I'll never test in. I hope you're right, somebuffyguy, but I hear a lot of conflicting information about that. Having never been through a hiring process, it's hard to know what to expect.
    No legal/ police involved at any time???

Forum Member

Nope, never anything like that thankfully.

Thread Information