Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stlfdtruckman

Thread: St Louis,MO 2014 Hiring Process

Forum Member

Default St Louis,MO 2014 Hiring Process

This is a thread to help the applicants of the 2014 City of St Louis firefighter exam. The City has announced a process starting in July. If you are interested in applying you can go to the City's website and fill out a courtesy notification for Fire Private. When the process starts you'll then be able to fill out an online application.
    https://stlouis-mo.gov/government/de...tification.cfm

Forum Member

That's some great news! Been waiting a long time for this process to open back up!!!

Forum Member

@ stlfdtruckman: Thank you for posting this. Any idea on how many recruits the department is looking to hire? Again, thank you.

Forum Member

The Chief requested 40 from HR this year so prolly 2 classes of 20 or so

Forum Member

Any preference points given ?

Forum Member

The only preference points given are for current city employees. I do not know the amount of points given.

The Union would like points given to veterans and applicants with FF2 or Emt but HR does not currently award points for that

Forum Member

@truckman: Could you talk a little about station life, ems rotations, how aggressive on fires, etc..?

Pension, union strengths?

Thanks and stay safe.

Forum Member

@JVN83: well the best way is for you to come see for yourself, we have an excellent ride along program. You just need FF1 and a letter from your Dept, you can do a 24hr shift on any company

If you're not local or familiar with the Stlfd we have 36 fire company's stationed in 30 houses, each house is unique and most of them are architectual gems fire poles and all. All but 4 are two story and some once ran horses. We have a very traditional department and have been paid since 1857. We are an aggressive interior attack urban department. The dept runs 11 ALS medic units staffed by EMS personnel and work 12hr shifts. FFs are cross trained on the medic units also.
    https://stlouis-mo.gov/government/de...uppression.cfm

The city offers a reasonable pension but I can't say much on that.

The union is iaff local 73 there is a website if you need further info. The local lobby's at the state level regularly and has a healthy membership

Forum Member

For a non vet that's good news because I have a good shot of getting in with the dept.@stlfdtruckman how's is the hiring process work ? Just trying to get an idea how many trips I need to make to St. Louis

Forum Member

@FireFighter28 here's the city's link that explains the process but each process can have some variance depending on what HR wants
    The city has put out a RFP for a company to come and put on a test.
    The last process was a city civil service test after the first written was thown out do to disparities
    https://stlouis-mo.gov/government/de...irefighter.cfm

The last process was 3 parts
    1 written exam
    2 physical agility test
    3 interview

Until the city puts out a hang sheet we won't know exactly what type of written or physical agility test HR has approved

The last written was a general aptitude test about 2,000 applicants took the test

Physical agility consisted of about 7 events for an overall time and ranked in 3 tiers as in best,average or pass. no running

Ladder raise
    Ldh hose drag
    Highrise pack up 5 floors
    20 pulls on a saw
    Hoisting a hose line
    sledge hammer vent prop
    185lb dummy drag

The interview was the normal 3 or 4 person employment oral evaluation done by HR personnel

The city will average your overall % and rank you by result on a hiring list of about 300 applicants, the list must stay for a minimum of 2yrs but no maximum. The current list is from the 2007 process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stlfdtruckman View Post
    @JVN83: well the best way is for you to come see for yourself, we have an excellent ride along program. You just need FF1 and a letter from your Dept, you can do a 24hr shift on any company

If you're not local or familiar with the Stlfd we have 36 fire company's stationed in 30 houses, each house is unique and most of them are architectual gems fire poles and all. All but 4 are two story and some once ran horses. We have a very traditional department and have been paid since 1857. We are an aggressive interior attack urban department. The dept runs 11 ALS medic units staffed by EMS personnel and work 12hr shifts. FFs are cross trained on the medic units also.
    https://stlouis-mo.gov/government/de...uppression.cfm

The city offers a reasonable pension but I can't say much on that.

The union is iaff local 73 there is a website if you need further info. The local lobby's at the state level regularly and has a healthy membership
    Awesome reply, thanks man.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you already have FF 1 and 2, and EMT-Basic do you have to retest for these certifications during recruit school? Also, a lot of departments offer incentive pay raises for education, does the department offer any programs like this?

Forum Member

@Arowett you do not have to retest if you have IFSAC FF2 and a current EMT license. The academy is usually 16 weeks but the last class sent the recruits with FF2 through an excelerated 5 week academy. I'm not sure if the next class will be the same.
    St. Louis gives members between $40 -$75 per pay period for having an EMT license or college degree etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stlfdtruckman View Post
    @Arowett you do not have to retest if you have IFSAC FF2 and a current EMT license. The academy is usually 16 weeks but the last class sent the recruits with FF2 through an excelerated 5 week academy. I'm not sure if the next class will be the same.
    St. Louis gives members between $40 -$75 per pay period for having an EMT license or college degree etc.
    Hey bud turn your pm's on

Forum Member

@UPCFire PMs on, fire away

Forum Member

I know you said they don't give preference points for EMT, but does having help at all? Also does having your paramedic cert matter?

Forum Member

@Snarff: absolutely, most of the top 50 or so applicants that make the list have EMT as did myself. EMT is more important than FF2 since you'll receive fire training in the academy. Recruits have to obtain EMT on their own through the dept within 1yr or face termination.

Paramedic will help you make extra money if you're interested in working shifts on the medic units but little else as the Suppression side operates as first responders only

Forum Member

Thanks I wasn't sure if they ran ALS engines or not. Either way I have had my eye on STLFD for several years. I am orrginaly from MO and would love to move back to the STL area. I haven't seen a Cards games in person in years

Forum Member

The latest update as of last week was that everything from the fire chiefs office has been turned in and we are just waiting on HR to start the process.

Forum Member

Latest update: HR has completed the bidding for a testing company and told the FD a process should be ready by October 1st
    Snarff likes this.

Forum Member

Im currently deployed to Afghanistan I should be back home around dec sometime u think i will make the test? is Oct when they open up the application? been waiting along time for city to hire

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Combat3nginer View Post
    Im currently deployed to Afghanistan I should be back home around dec sometime u think i will make the test? is Oct when they open up the application? been waiting along time for city to hire
    I'm not familiar with how St Louis does it, but most cities offer make up exams for active duty service members. I'd suggest calling or emailing the Human Resources department and telling them your situation. You should just be able to take the exam when you get home.

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/governmen...nts/personnel/
    Go to the bottom of this page, it has the contact info so you can send your question straight to them.

Forum Member

I got my letter asking if i was still interested in being on the eligible list, i have until the 23rd to respond, i have a job already so i said no, anyone else get one

Forum Member

You didn't get a letter "bro"!

Forum Member

Lmao did to!!

Thread Information