Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By batt403
  • 1 Post By JayDudley

Thread: Who here has a long commute? And how long?

Forum Member

Default Who here has a long commute? And how long?

I was just curious how long of a commute some of you guys have? We work every third day and many people commute over an hour to get to their station which seems pretty normal. We may or may not be moving so it's possible I could have a 2 hour commute in the future. I'm just curious how many others have a commute like this as well.

Forum Member

I think some our guys do 1-2 hours

I would say depends on worst weather and what the freeways are like, for instance if you have to drive through Los angles to get to work or have five months of snow

Forum Member

I got about an hour and a half to commute for work. about 85 miles. All interstate 81 so not too bad.

Forum Member

I applaud you guys... It takes me about five minutes, in traffic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SL425 View Post
    I think I've got you beat by a minute and I have inside parking in the bay usually.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

When I was on the job I had a 100 mile commute. It usually took me roughly an hour and 40 minutes on a good day.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Only 45 minutes for me, 95% interstate, so not bad at all.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

2 hours. 120 miles. Have been driving it for 12 years. Luckily we switched to the 48/96 schedule this year so I only drive it 5 times in a month.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Forum Member

When I was on the job at a particular location mine was 135 miles one way for a 24 on, 24 off shift. We did the 7-group chart. I used to do shift exchanges and do 72 straight and then have 4 straight off.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SL425 View Post
    Same here.

It's nice to be able to roll out of bed about 45 minutes before your start time, and still make it in 15-20 minutes early!
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I don't know how in the world guys do 48 or 72 hour shifts. After 24 hours I'm ready to get the heck out of here!

Let's talk fire trucks!

I did some research on the 48 hour shifts (really popular on the west coast) and didn't find a single department that went back to 24's, and some of those departments have some very busy houses. An overwhelming number of guys, including those who never wanted it, said it was the best thing that their departments ever did.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I did some research on the 48 hour shifts (really popular on the west coast) and didn't find a single department that went back to 24's, and some of those departments have some very busy houses. An overwhelming number of guys, including those who never wanted it, said it was the best thing that their departments ever did.
    What about fatigue? Physical and or mental? Or extreme weather (although much of the west coast won't have this)? A busy 24 in real heat or cold and I've always been shot. Can't imagine doing another 24 on top of it.

PS. How are we defining "very busy houses"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I bet that's because the vast majority of those guys can't afford to live anywhere near were they work, or they work in a craphole neighborhood. I'm 25 minutes from work, and I live in Hooterville. (Okay young guys, that's a "Green Acres" reference, look it up on Youtube. It's got nothing to do with boobs)

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    What about fatigue? Physical and or mental? Or extreme weather (although much of the west coast won't have this)? A busy 24 in real heat or cold and I've always been shot. Can't imagine doing another 24 on top of it.

Most of the departments do all of the "normal" stuff (inspections, house duties, apparatus maintenance, etc) on the first half of the tour, and the second half of the tour is used for sleep/relaxation, etc. I have my research on my other computer at home, so I'm afraid I don't have it in front of me, but there were some engines that were doing 20+ runs per day (40 per tour) if I recall correctly. I did the research over four years ago, so forgive my forgetfulness on that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I bet that's because the vast majority of those guys can't afford to live anywhere near were they work, or they work in a craphole neighborhood.
    In some cases, this is true. In others, not as much. There are two DOD departments in Virginia doing 48's, and most of the guys working at one of them live not very far outside the fence in mostly rural, affordable areas. The price of local living wasn't as big a factor in shift selection as one might think.

There have been threads here on FH.com about the 48's, and there is a ton of research available by simply Googling the topic as well.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Heck, I worked a ton of 48's, a few 72's, and even a 96 on my old FD. I wouldn't begin to compare out run totals to the FDNY. A busy day for my house would be 16 calls, with the majority of those being EMS calls, which almost always got an engine or a truck sent too.

I knew a couple of crazy dudes that even worked 120s on occasion!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I can't help but to think that 40 runs in 24 hours is enough to need a break. Even 20 runs would be enough to make me think another 24 hours with another 20 runs is too much. Like I said earlier, fatigue has to set in at some point.
    Maybe it's just a matter of mental conditioning. I don't really know. I do know that a bunch of guys who have worked non-stop for 30 or 40 hours or more are not in optimal condition to do dangerous work. I'm not sure that commuting convenience justifies it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Heck, I worked a ton of 48's, a few 72's, and even a 96 on my old FD. I wouldn't begin to compare out run totals to the FDNY. A busy day for my house would be 16 calls, with the majority of those being EMS calls, which almost always got an engine or a truck sent too.

I knew a couple of crazy dudes that even worked 120s on occasion!!
    Wondering who was takin' are of the misses for those dudes.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Back to the original question......we had guy's on our department who lived out of state and commuted to work. One was from Hawaii...one was from Arizona and one was from Oregon and they all commuted to a Southern California Fire Department.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Let's talk fire trucks!

Jay, in regards to the member that lived in Hawaii, what kind of schedule did you all work that made it easy for him to fly in and out on a regular basis?

We had a member that flew from Cincinatti to central Virginia, but that only really worked for about 18 months and too many missed flights, weather delays, and the like put an end to that.

I do know that an Assistant Chief for a very large SoCal department was living here in Virginia and working 4/10's in the office. He'd fly into LAX on Monday morning, stay in an apartment during the week, and then fly back on Thursday evening. He did this for about 2 years until he retired.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Wondering who was takin' are of the misses for those dudes.
    Keep in mind LA, working one trade day could mean 3 in a row off or 6 if your payback was taken at the beginning of your 96 off. Plenty of time to take care of any husbandly duties!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

The Firefighter who lived in Hawaii had a wife who worked for an airline and made it very easy to get flights. We worked the following.... X=work O=off

xoxoxoxooooxoxoxoxoooooo cycle. Very easy to get exchanges and trades to get a few weeks off.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post

We work 24/48 and can work up to 60 before having to have at least 12 off before returning. If we have been busy on the first 24 most of the time admin will take it easy on a guy on his 2nd 24. In extreme weather (ice/snow event or storm damage) we will get moved to 12/12 and one of the shifts get splits for extra man power on the other two shifts or we go to 12/24.

When I work a 48 I'm either bone tired because we was busy or going stir crazy because it has been slow.

Thread Information