Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rte1985

Thread: 14' Roof Ladder

Forum Member

Default 14' Roof Ladder

Hi
    I had trouble in the CPAT with the roof ladder event (removal and putting it back onto the hooks on the side of the truck). The roof ladder was 14'. Can someone tell me what the weight of a 14' ladder is and about how high the hooks for the ladder are from the ground? I'd like to set up something similar at home so I can practice for next time.

Thank you

Forum Member

One dept criteria

Ladder Removal/Replacement
    The candidate, given a 14-foot roof ladder placed in a horizontal position at a height of 5 feet and with the ladder rungs in a vertical position, shall lift the entire ladder from its support and place it on the ground then pick the entire ladder up and return it to its original position.

https://www.gfstconline.org/index.ph...6dc3e0410e0b90

Forum Member

Check this if you can get it to open

http://www.iaff.org/library/pdfs/hs/...%20Edition.pdf

Forum Member

Any practice test in your area

Forum Member

What trouble did you have???

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Well I'm only 5'2" (female) and the ladder on the truck was higher than I expected. It was higher than 5' since it was just within my reach..I would say around 5'8 to 6 feet from the ground (hard to remember, but it was over my head). I was able to get it off the hooks (doing one side at a time after realizing I wasn't able to lift the ladder up from the grooves on the hooks it sat on, and towards me, while holding onto the rungs in the middle of the ladder). I then had to walk in a circle with the ladder, but then I had trouble getting it back onto the hooks. They mark the ladder rungs and hooks where you are supposed to put it back exactly in the correct position and I placed it in the wrong position both times, which lead me getting disqualified. (although reading the instructions later, it wasn't supposed to be a penalty and I should have been given a chance to remove the ladder and place it into the correct position). Oh well. Anyway, the ladder was also heavier than I expected (I was practicing at home with the Little Giant, which I thought would be heavier or equivalent) so when putting the ladder back onto the hooks, I just had to get it overhead and pretty much throw it back onto the hooks. I didn't have the strength to hold it overhead for like 3-5 seconds to see where exactly the markings were to place it the correct position.
    I've been practicing at my local gym using a log bar (that has vertical rungs) and putting it onto the rack over my head...the log bar is about 60-65 lbs. But I was just curious to know if anyone knew what the weight of a 14'ft ladder is so I can be prepared. Nowhere here to practice, unless I was wondering if a fire station would let me try it out, or at least measure the height. Thanks!

Forum Member

Ask a station as long as it is not the dept you are testing for

Can the ladder touch the ground at any point ????

Those little giants are not light

I would say you should be in the middle of the ladder

From there count the rungs , to where it has to hook on the hooks, on one side

Seems like if you hit it on one side the other side should be in the correct place

Forum Member

I guess the ladder is to high to raise it with your shoulder??

If so can you raise it and set it on your shoulder???

Check video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7-OublwQ

Forum Member

Dear God. If you cannot easily retrieve a 24' ladder off a rig and throw it solo, you shouldn't be a firefighter. This can be a VERY physically demanding job at times and if the simple task of retrieving tools off a truck gives you problems, you are a liability. I'm not sure what gets into people's heads that make them think this job is for everyone. It is not. I realize that I'm not being at all supportive but people's lives are at stake. Remember that. It is becoming less and less common these days for firefighters to have to do that type of work, but we're not paid for what we do on a daily basis, but for what we are able to do when the time comes.
    Last edited by William Bourbonstreet; 06-20-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Forum Member

Hay

Short firefighters fit into those small attics

We all have a gift

Forum Member

Thanks Fire49 for the suggestion and video clips. Good idea on counting the rungs...that might help me line up better next time. Its too high for me to set it on my shoulder...its over my head.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it

Forum Member

A 14 foot aluminum roof ladder weighs 42 pounds, and a 24 foot two section aluminum pumper ladder weights 75 pounds.

You should be able to handle the roof ladder with no problem. Count the number of rungs and pick it up and shoulder carry it just under the mid way point with the hooks forward. Learn the balance point of the ladder. This gives you the proper weigh balance.

You probably could find a 20 foot extension ladder, that is a regular house hold type ladder and practice with that. Practice picking it up and shouldering it and walking around and then put it back down on the ground and keep repeating this, until you are comfortable carrying it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The balance point of a fire service aluminum ladder is generally just behind the midpoint. Learning to identify where the balance point is and how to use it to your advantage will help you out greatly.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Her other problem is the height if the ladder off the ground.

I do not know if this dept allows the ladder to touch the ground at any point,

If it does , the ladder go be taken off on one side and rest on the ground, while the other end is taken off

Forum Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. The ladder cannot touch the ground at any time, nor touch the ledge on the fire truck in which the ladder sits into. I think balance and technique is key for next time.

Forum Member

I agree that this job can be very physically demanding, and it's true that lives can be at stake if your not physically where you need to be (civilians lives, coworkers lives, even your life!) Men tend to naturally have a strength advantage especially when it comes to upper body strength. But after saying that there are some bad ***** female firefighters out there that I would have complete trust in them. And there are a lot of male firefighters that are in this service that I feel can't physically do the job. But as pp have said work on the balance point for the test but also in real life you don't have the luxury to take the time to find balance point when lifting objects or you don't have the time or the situation doesn't permit to allow proper lifting techniques when picking up 500lb people. The old phrase (you just have to man handle it) applies even though it isn't ideal. You really need to work on strength. You're not going to get taller so try doing extra arm chest and shoulder workouts. Also work on grip strength. The stronger you can get the better off you will be for the test and also this career in general because there are heavier more awkward things then a 14 ft roof ladder (like our 35ft three section ext. ladder that is a pain in the ***** lugging around solo!). Good luck to you and keep working
    manoaceo likes this.

Thread Information