Forum Member

Default Always Teachable

My name is Roger and I have a question for you experienced members of the fire service. I scored the highest grade in my EMT course, I am a very fast learner, and I have willingness to put my nose in the books and learn. I am currently working for a private transport company as an EMT, and I am going to attend fire and paramedic school when the time is right. My question is: how do I continue learning the essentials of emergency situations whille I am out of school? I can pass exams and simulated scenarios all day and make it look easy, but I feel that if I were to be in an emergency situation right now, my patient may be in danger. Maybe it's just anxiety and maybe I am over thinking it, but what can I be doing besides reading my textbook until I get hired on a 9-1-1 system?? What can I be reading or practicing?

----Roger

Forum Member

Any volunteer depts you can hook up with?

Get an advanced mentor to help you

Work in an emergency room on days off

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Any volunteer depts you can hook up with?

Get an advanced mentor to help you

Work in an emergency room on days off
    This - If you can get on a department as a volunteer, you can get some great experience while possibly getting yourself set up for a future job!

Forum Member

The emergency room idea that fire49 mentioned is a fantastic one... You will see and most likely be able to assist in things way above your certification level.

Thread Information