Forum Member

Default Cascade bottles to donate

My department has several (I think between 8-10) 2500 psi cascade bottles that we no longer have a need for. Before we try to sell them piecemeal somehow, does anyone need/want them? We can certainly donate them to a department in need, but shipping them is not feasible for us to pay for. I believe we have a regulator to go with the bottles but it will obviously need to be checked and rubber hoses will probably need to be replaced. I do not know when the last hydrostat test was on the bottles, but chances are good that they will need to be tested as well...

This is all located in east-central NH, very close to the Maine border. PM me if anyone is interested.

Forum Member

That's great that you want to give your 2400 PSI cascade cylinders to a needy fire department. I admire you for doing that. I would like to say that 2400 PSI storage cylinders work well for supplied air applications, where a worker is breathing off the 2400 PSI storage cylinders. The user has a drop line they disconnect from and leave the area if they need to. But the 2400 PSI cylinders do not work well for fire departments to use as a cascade. With the SCBA requiring 2216 PSI, for low pressure units, an 8-10 cylinders system would only fill a very few empty SCBA cylinders. A lot of effort for very little return on the investment of time and cost to get them refilled, when the 2400s drop below 2216 PSI. Many departments using a 2400 PSI system will just fill to a pressure close to 2216 and say "good enough". Eventually, one may see SCBA on the backs of firefighters with a starting pressure of 1800 or so. Not good and not legal as the rules require 30 minutes of air before entering an IDLH area.

I would suggest you get the original mfg dates from the cylinders and call up some welding gas distributors to see if they would pay you for the cylinders outright. Then pass on the funds to a FD that can add to your amount to buy new 4500, 5000 or 6000 PSI air cylinder to use in a cascade system. A 4500 PSI four cylinder cascade can refill about 36 +/- 2216 SCBA cylinders having approx. 500 PSI in the SCBA cylinders to start with. Big difference and all fills are to 2216 PSI. I'm guessing you could get $50-100 from a welding gas supplier. Find a commercial diving team and they would be interested in the 2400s to buy too. eBay may get you additional buyers and money. New 4500s sell in the range of $500 per cylinder. Hardware to connect them would be additional. Just my thoughts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abney View Post
    That's great that you want to give your 2400 PSI cascade cylinders to a needy fire department. I admire you for doing that. I would like to say that 2400 PSI storage cylinders work well for supplied air applications, where a worker is breathing off the 2400 PSI storage cylinders. The user has a drop line they disconnect from and leave the area if they need to. But the 2400 PSI cylinders do not work well for fire departments to use as a cascade. With the SCBA requiring 2216 PSI, for low pressure units, an 8-10 cylinders system would only fill a very few empty SCBA cylinders. A lot of effort for very little return on the investment of time and cost to get them refilled, when the 2400s drop below 2216 PSI. Many departments using a 2400 PSI system will just fill to a pressure close to 2216 and say "good enough". Eventually, one may see SCBA on the backs of firefighters with a starting pressure of 1800 or so. Not good and not legal as the rules require 30 minutes of air before entering an IDLH area.

I would suggest you get the original mfg dates from the cylinders and call up some welding gas distributors to see if they would pay you for the cylinders outright. Then pass on the funds to a FD that can add to your amount to buy new 4500, 5000 or 6000 PSI air cylinder to use in a cascade system. A 4500 PSI four cylinder cascade can refill about 36 +/- 2216 SCBA cylinders having approx. 500 PSI in the SCBA cylinders to start with. Big difference and all fills are to 2216 PSI. I'm guessing you could get $50-100 from a welding gas supplier. Find a commercial diving team and they would be interested in the 2400s to buy too. eBay may get you additional buyers and money. New 4500s sell in the range of $500 per cylinder. Hardware to connect them would be additional. Just my thoughts.
    An 8-10 bottle casscade at 2400 psi will fill a LOT of 2216psi SCBA's. The cylinders are a LOT bigger than the SCBA bottles so it will work as a cascade.

Forum Member

Bottles will soon be leaving, we found a private company that was willing to buy them.

Thread Information