Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miller337

Thread: Where's the NRA Defending This Homeowner

Default Where's the NRA Defending This Homeowner

Officer Shot Serving No Knock Warrant

Someone is breaking into your home by climbing through the window at 5:30am. You shoot the intruder with a realistic belief that someone is invading your home. Turns out the intruder is a police officer serving a "no knock warrant" looking for drugs that were never found. Despite spending 12 hrs. looking for them.

The homeowner's response seems perfectly reasonable given the circumstances.

Where's the NRA defending this man's right to protect his castle?
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-25-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Lotsa looks no comments.

Crickets make more noise.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I'm pro-law enforcement, and very much a gun rights advocate. I didn't reply to this sooner simply because I didn't see the original post.

My opinion? This is a complicated case, where it appears that the CI probably set up the LEO's by letting the bag guy know when they were coming, and the bad guy waited for them to enter the house and them ambushed the LEO's.

This isn't clearly isn't a simply "protecting your castle" case as it appears on the surface, nor something that the NRA would get involved in for obvious political reasons.

SCFire, I was just thinking about you today when I read that the same amount of the people who voted for Obama is equal to the same amount of democrats that believe that the Lerner e-mail loss is a complete lie. But, that's for another thread...
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 06-26-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Not complicated to me at all. Someone's crawling through my window at 5:30a can expect the same reaction.

The IRS is indeed another issue. Especially given the fact that groups of both political stripes were being audited for the same reason.

Another faux scandal that will do nothing but waste time and taxpayer dollars.

Conservatives only care about things like this when a Dem is in the White House. The Bush Administration lost 20M emails. Conservatives didn't care.

Do you know what today is scfire86? Today is the 10th anniversary of you continually being angry, offensive, rude and insensitive. That quite an accomplishment. I read through hundreds of your old posts last night, you have never said anything kind in any of them and you have been able to do it for 10 years today, incredible very incredible.
    Last edited by Miller337; 06-27-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Chenzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Do you know what today is scfire86? Today is the 10th anniversary of you being continually being angry, offensive, rude and insensitive. That quite an accomplishment. I read through hundreds of your old posts last night, you have never said anything kind in any of them and you have been able to do it for 10 years today, incredible very incredible.
    I'm not the topic. I'm surprised there aren't more folks commenting about how maybe this shooting is justifiable given the circumstances. Being awakened in the early hours by someone coming through the window without any announcement of them being a LEO. What else should a homeowner believe?

How would one know whether it was a cop serving a warrant?

Guess I'm a little more surprised that police making entry, in this case, didn't appear prepared for such an event to happen.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Guess I'm a little more surprised that police making entry, in this case, didn't appear prepared for such an event to happen.
    How about just coming through the front door and announcing that it's a police operation?

Forum Member

I don't know much about "no knock warrants". I'll have to assume the name is self-explanatory. Therefore I'll also assume they are a really bad idea. How can you blame a homeowner for this type of action? We know that LEO sometimes gets it wrong. We know that the subject of the police action may not live there alone, or live there only with other criminals. A relative in the home could be entirely in the dark concerning the subject's criminal (alleged) actions.

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    I don't know much about "no knock warrants". I'll have to assume the name is self-explanatory. Therefore I'll also assume they are a really bad idea. How can you blame a homeowner for this type of action? We know that LEO sometimes gets it wrong. We know that the subject of the police action may not live there alone, or live there only with other criminals. A relative in the home could be entirely in the dark concerning the subject's criminal (alleged) actions.
    I agree. Believing the homeowner set up the police to ambush them is giving this guy WAY too much credit in the gray matter department.

Texas has a "stand your ground" law. This alone should be why this type of law is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm going to throw down the race card on this one. The homeowner it black, the cop is white. Anyone who believes this isn't part of the issue in a state like Texas is living in a dream world.

The main reason I didn't respond is because there is no need for the NRA to become involved. Has he been charged with homicide or murder of a certain degree? If not, there is no need for them to be involved. Even if he is charged, we do not know if he had the legal right to firearms (has he been previously convicted of a felony or otherwise been determined ineligible to own firearms?) Until more details are released and he is charged, there is no reason for anyone to be involved.

If it turns out that he legally owned the weapon and indeed live at the residence, I do not see how they could charge him, but like I said, until more details are known we are jumping the gun

Get it, jumping the gun..............I am a laugh a minute

I would agree with you except for the fact that many on here have made claims of guilt or innocence in previous cases before all the facts were known.

The article does state the other suspect had no jail record but nothing was stated about the previous status of the individual suspected of killing the police officer.

Thread Information