Forum Member

Default Firefighting and Paramedic at the same time?

Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm starting college this fall at a community college. I'm going to get my AA degree and transfer to a University. I decided that I want to major in Fire Technology. I'm wondering if I should take a 2nd major so I have something else to do as a 2nd job or just in case I get injured when firefighting.

I was thinking of taking a Paramedic major but would it be possible to do firefighting and be a paramedic at the same time? Would paramedic be too physically demanding if I got injured as a firefighter? and is there any advantages of having a paramedic degree to get hired in a fire dept?

Forum Member

What state are you in ??

If your first goal is to be a paid firefighter, you need to find out what cities and state require just to apply

If any certs get those first

Than start applying and get hired, do the college degree on the job

If you are truly interested in medical field get be a rn

Good fall back, good pay, plus there are many areas to use it in besides the hospital

Forum Member

I'm in California. yes, I'll probably getting those certificates at the community college also the school has a fire academy which I'll end up doing that. What do you mean by do the college degree on the job?

Does having your Paramedic degree give you any good advantages/benefits of being a firefighter?
    Last edited by ian707; 06-24-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Forum Member

I hear calif is competitive

I hear you need ff certs just to apply

Not sure about emt b

Best advice is get certs required first , start applying and testing , get hired

If you wait to finish college you will be that many years behind, before you even start testing

And than it is not like you apply today and start next week, it can be a couple of years before you get hired

Once you get hired, some cities will pay some tuition costs,

And there are plenty of online colleges,,,, or fire science programs that work on shift schedule that you can get a masters, if you want

Let's talk fire trucks!

Yes, getting your paramedic cert will help you in your hiring process. Previous fire service training generally won't be that much of a benefit for you.

I'd strongly recommend against taking both EMT-P and fire services classes at the same time. Focus on the complexities of the paramedic curriculum and once you've completed that, then get into the fire service training.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighting and Paramedic are not mutually exclusive. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic assigned on an ambulance but I am required to be cross trained and I am expected to be able to operate all of the fire apparatus and at a fire we abandon the ambulance and act as firefighters provided there are no patients immediately on our arrival. I also know for a fact that any new hires to the full time department that I work for will be Firefighter/Paramedic. As stated by others the paramedic license gives you a leg up. That being said check out the departments you want to apply to as far as what they require to apply
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Forum Member

I too am in California. And yes, it's extremely competitive to get hired in California. I am in the process of hiring 7 firefighter/paramedics right now (from an existing list). In order to qualify to take our entry level exam you must have completed a state certified firefighter 1 academy AND be a licensed Paramedic. We had 225 applicants. We have already hired three and we are doing another round of hiring will likely retest and hire a handful more next year.

My advice to you is to complete the FF1 academy through a junior college. There are prerequisite classes that you must take in order to enter the academy. These will take you a couple of semesters to complete. Many California departments require a basic FF1 academy just to take the entry level test. Many others (like mine) require a Paramedic license too. I would encourage you to work toward the FF1 academy as this makes you a more desirable candidate. You can also test more too.

Paramedic school is a completely different direction, one that I highly recommend. Being a FF/PM on a busy rescue with a good partner was the best part of my career. I haven't started an IV in 17 years, but I still have fond memories of my time on the box.

I would recommend getting a job as an EMT on an ambulance because most Paramedic schools require EMS experience as a prerequisite. More importantly, you need to be a good EMT before going to PM school.

JMoulton,
    I recently made a trip to Maine to buy a boat. What a beautiful part of the country!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information