Forum Member

Default 44 years old....what are my chances?

I am currently 44 years old. I have been a Police Officer in the NY area for 23 years. I have an excellent work record, workout regularly and am in pretty good shape. I was a volunteer Fireman for 8 years when I was 18 and left there in good standing to get married and relocate.

I am considering retiring and moving south to the Carolina's. I have always wanted to be a paid fireman. What are the chances for someone my age and not being from the area to be accepted at one of the major city fire departments?

Thanks in advance....TCPD

Forum Member

I known several old farts that have been hired in their 40s over here in the Denver metro area.

Forum Member

I take paid and not volunteer ??
    You need to look to see if any upper age limit

Need to check different city web sites to see if any certs are required just to apply

If not in shape start working out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tcpd View Post
    I am currently 44 years old. I have been a Police Officer in the NY area for 23 years. I have an excellent work record, workout regularly and am in pretty good shape. I was a volunteer Fireman for 8 years when I was 18 and left there in good standing to get married and relocate.

I am considering retiring and moving south to the Carolina's. I have always wanted to be a paid fireman. What are the chances for someone my age and not being from the area to be accepted at one of the major city fire departments?

Thanks in advance....TCPD
    My questions:

Have you served in the military?
    Do you have an EMT-B certification?
    Do you have any current IFSAC or Firefighter I certifications?
    Do you have any post highschool education?

The reason I am ask is because that is your competition. Honorably discharged military veterans with EMT certifications and firefighter certifications that at least have some college if not an associates degree or greater. You can also expect competitors to also have volunteer experience and to be in their mid twenties.

Some departments do have a lateral age requirement, so you'll have to check with each one.

Many career departments will require you to have your EMT at application or hire. Many others require you to have fire certifications. Few require neither and are usually swamped with hundreds if not thousands of applicants and what'll hurt you with those is that those with veteran's preference are going to get 5-10 points added to at least one of their scores or the final score. Hiring is typically list based with rank. Your public service looks good, and may help you during interviews in terms of looking professional and having some amazing examples of situations you've been in, but it, itself, won't necessarily boost any scores that you will need to make it higher on that list.

If you're looking to work in NY, you really have some pretty stiff competition ahead of you. Good luck.

Forum Member

Depending on where you are in New York, try looking for fire jobs in Connecticut. Most departments there don't discriminate based on age, and because its not in NY you can retire from police and get your pension while drawing a salary.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Your message says that you're considering moving to the Carolinas, you might want to consider Virginia as well. Never a lack of career departments hiring here.

As for being too old, you're not. You will have a lot of younger guys competing for the same positions, so make sure you're in shape (and stay in shape) and prepare to give 120% during the hiring process. When I was an academy instructor, I did 9 consecutive recruit schools, and my youngest was 19 and the oldest was 54. One of the members of my own recruit school was 53 in fact.

One of the posters above mentioned the civil service testing, veterans points, etc. In some areas of the US, civil service testing is the norm, whereas it's unheard of down there. Departments here don't use points system or have preference points - and generally, could care less if you have zero fire service training or experience, or 10 years worth. You're going to go through a full recruit school no matter what.

Good luck in the process!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I have been wrestling with this career and life change for a while and I am now committed to looking for a job in the Carolinas. I have been speaking with people I know down there and making contacts. I will hopefully get my EMT recertification through my job in January. I ordered a weight vest and have been keeping a calendar of all my workouts. I am combining weight training as well as cardio. I have already scoped out my local train station and see that they have a nice set of stairs that I can train on.
    I hope to make a training high rise pack and a DIY dummy with some overalls and some play sand. Any suggestions?
    I also put an application in with my local volunteer department to get used to bunker gear again and get some job specific training.

Wish this old fart luck!
    Last edited by Tcpd; 12-06-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Forum Member

Fantastic go for it

You need to apply and test everywhere and anywhere. Do not try for one or two departments only

Glad you are going from doughnuts to croissants!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire5555 View Post
    Fantastic go for it

You need to apply and test everywhere and anywhere. Do not try for one or two departments only

Good luck!!

Forum Member

Fantastic go for it

How does everyone feel about applying to multiple departments? I had thought I should focus on one or two to show my commitment towards one particular area. It would be nice to get additional practice testing though.

I do like donuts....never really got into coffee surprisingly!

Forum Member

How does everyone feel about applying to multiple departments? I had thought I should focus on one or two to show my commitment towards one particular area. It would be nice to get additional practice testing though.

I do like donuts....never really got into coffee surprisingly!
    Only problem with applying at multiple departments is if you get multiple offers around the same time.

When you are competing against more than one person for a position, your odds of getting a job go way down .

I hate to say but to me it is a matter of luck sometimes if you get hired.

Suggest you check this site for good hiring info::

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

Let's talk fire trucks!

How does everyone feel about applying to multiple departments? I had thought I should focus on one or two to show my commitment towards one particular area.
    Apply early, apply often, apply everywhere.

Keep in mind that you're one of hundreds, perhaps thousands, off applicants for any one department. Until you progress fairly far into the process, you're likely just a number like everyone else. If you see that you're moving ahead in a particular department's process, then you can start giving that one a lot more attention. You can read up on the department, the area they serve, past hiring practices, and the like. Until then, keep getting those applications in.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Only problem with applying at multiple departments is if you get multiple offers around the same time.

When you are competing against more than one person for a position, your odds of getting a job go way down .

I hate to say but to me it is a matter of luck sometimes if you get hired.

Suggest you check this site for good hiring info::

http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm
    Multiple offers around the same time is a fantasy. How is that a problem?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Multiple offers around the same time is a fantasy.
    I can tell you MANY people that I know personally that got multiple offers within a week or two. Hell, it happened to me when I took my first job in public service (in law enforcement). It can put the pressure on you to make the "right" decision...
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-08-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I can tell you MANY people that I know personally that got multiple offers within a week or two. Hell, it happened to me when I took my first job in public service (in law enforcement). I can put the pressure on you to make the "right" decision...
    I can only pray I'd be so fortunate

Thread Information