Like Tree12Likes

Thread: End of FEPP??

MembersZone Subscriber

SP let me give a shout out to hinesfire who brought this travesty to our attention and in doing so was responsible for starting the grass roots efforts that mobilized the rest of us in here to not sit on our backsides and to proactively take a stand here. In so doing, we have prevailed apparently. Well done hinesfire.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    SP let me give a shout out to hinesfire who brought this travesty to our attention and in doing so was responsible for starting the grass roots efforts that mobilized the rest of us in here to not sit on our backsides and to proactively take a stand here. In so doing, we have prevailed apparently. Well done hinesfire.
    I would still like to hear something from DLA, the DoD, or someone in DC to confirm that everything is copacetic again.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything from the folks at the DNR but here are a couple of articles that report an agreement has been reached and equipment can be transferred again.

http://www.tulsatoday.com/2014/07/09...epa-agreement/

http://www.swoknews.com/local/rural-...s-dodge-bullet

A blog post from the FEPP manager in Kansas gives some more detail though and it looks like we're going to see some changes. It sounds like everything has to be sent back for de-mil after we're through with it now and the list of things they will let us have is pretty small, at least for now. Hopefully I'll get an update from our DNR folks that gives all the detail.

Latest updates on FEPP and FFP
    Published July 10, 2014 Uncategorized Closed

Good morning – I apologize for many emails, but this excess property issue is too important to too many folks not to keep everyone informed. As of this morning, the latest information indicates that the “fix” that DLA announced yesterday is a very small patch on a large hole. They provided a list of National Stock Numbers (NSNs) that are covered in the “national security exemption” and may be transferred, but the list does NOT include the items we most commonly receive requests for…5 ton trucks, HMTT tankers, m-gators and the like. Now, they are supposed to be adding more NSNs, so those items may be getting added in the next version. They also specifically have not addressed any authorization for the FEPP program to continue, only FFP. Presumably FEPP is “in the works”.

The other issue that has changed with this fix is ownership transfer and accountability. Those items where ownership has already transferred (which I believe would cover nearly all vehicles we have in the FFP system now, for which I have certificates to obtain title on file) are not impacted, but for any future acquisitions, DLA will retain ownership. That itself is disappointing, but little different than FEPP has been for 50 years. However, another new things is that it will require annual inventory instead of every 2 years, and for the life of the vehicles, whereas now we can eventually turn title of a vehicle over to the receiving FD and effectively wash our hands of it. So instead of reducing our inventory load, we will now require over one full time equivalent just to handle annual inventory. That will be a major financial burden for us, as we are already the lowest funded (per capita) state forestry agency in the US, and cannot fund the additional staff required to complete this added inventory burden.

So, while this step is encouraging, it is by no means the “fix” that DLA said it was yesterday. We are continuing to follow this closely. We have communicated with our congressional delegation and other stakeholders (so far this morning IAFC and NVFC). At this point, I do not think it is necessary or prudent to make a big stink, as there is still progress being made, but it is clearly not time to sit back and assume the issue is fully resolved.

More news as it happens.

Eric

Forum Member

Got word the end of last week from my program rep that the program will continue. They lifted the ban on vehicles. Anyone else hear this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIDWESTCHIEF View Post
    Got word the end of last week from my program rep that the program will continue. They lifted the ban on vehicles. Anyone else hear this?
    This is in the "Annoucements" box on the DLA/RTD - Main search page:

Updated Vehicle Release Policy - Following discussions with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) will immediately resume issuing military vehicles and equipment with an associated national security exemption (NSE) to authorized law enforcement agencies and to DoD Fire Fighter Program recipients. EPA has confirmed that equipment transferred to law enforcement and fire-fighting agencies through these programs will continue to be covered by any NSE previously issued by EPA, with the understanding that DLA retains title to the vehicles and appropriate inventory and other management controls remain in effect. We are amending our Memoranda of Understanding to reflect this agreement.
    I have not gotten official word from our program director yet but I have talked to a couple of other guys who have already requested a couple items in the last few days and got them, so it looks like we should be back on go.

Forum Member

Well folks, I'm not sure what made the impact, but I think those of us who made contacts in DC and our state houses should claim this as a victory for a grassroots effort to help the fire service.

Yay us!
    FF715MRFD likes this.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Well folks, I'm not sure what made the impact, but I think those of us who made contacts in DC and our state houses should claim this as a victory for a grassroots effort to help the fire service.

Yay us!
    I'll second that motion!!!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post

Yay us!
    I completely agree!!

Forum Member

ask and ye shall recieve

who needs a mine sweeper

July 11--COOKE COUNTY -- The U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) reversed a recent decision to cut a popular program that provides surplus military trucks, tankers and other vehicles to rural fire departments.

Cooke County volunteer fire departments, county precincts and the Gainesville Police Department have utilized the governmental military vehicle surplus program, buying 10 to 15 vehicles in the last 10 years, Cooke County Emergency Management coordinator Ray Fletcher said.

The program helps cash-strapped rural departments by supplying them with surplus military vehicles to rebuild and reuse.

The DOD has a 25-year-old agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to abide by EPA standards on the amount of pollution a vehicle or engine can emit. Federal restrictions on diesel engine emissions have continually tightened during the past seven years.

"About 99 percent of the military surplus does not meet EPA emission standards," said the owner of a local diesel repair shop. "Emission standards is something the government doesn't worry about on a battlefield."

The program provides vehicles that normally would cost a small rural fire department $150,000 to $200,000. However, departments need only equip the vehicle at a cost of $30,000 to $40,000.

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC) and senior member of the Environment and Public Works (EPW) committee was pleased by the agreement reached by the EPA and the DOD.

"I applaud the DOD and EPA for coming to an agreement on a 25-year-old rule that the Department of Defense recently decided to start enforcing to the detriment of a program supporting Oklahoma's local fire departments and their ability to fight wildfires," Inhofe said. "This quick resolution would not have been possible without the rapid criticism from many members of Congress and the coordinated effort with (Oklahoma) Governor Fallin's office."

Inhofe said that the agencies decided to extend the national security exemption for this program on the grounds that the vehicle titles would remain under DOD after being re-purposed in order to ensure that the vehicles are eventually destroyed.

"This new agreement will create more red tape for our local fire departments by requiring the roughly 17,000 pieces of surplus equipment around the state to now be tracked and returned once they are no longer in use," Inhofe said. "This is the best short term answer to maintain the program with the DOD, and I will be working with my colleagues to address the unnecessary regulation created by the agreement."

The affected programs will be notified that the suspension has been lifted.

"The Defense Logistics Agency and the EPA have reached an agreement that allows the transfer of excess equipment to continue for both law enforcement and firefighting agencies," US. EPA Region 6 press officer Patrick Mackin said. Region 6 covers North Texas.

Forum Member

Another update regarding this situation. I got an email from my DNR rep. that says as of last week they have pulled all the restrictions put in place when they started transferring equipment again in July. We are back to where we were before this whole mess started.

Thank You again to everyone who spoke up and helped in getting this resolved!!
    elm mott fd likes this.

Forum Member

Fire departments effected?????

The big guns of small-town cops
    A A A (resize font)
    Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama has ordered a review of programs allowing for state and local enforcement to buy military equipment, a senior administration official said Saturday.

The decision follows public criticism of the use of such assets recently in Ferguson, Missouri.

The review will touch on several points, including

-- Whether such programs and funding are appropriate;

-- Whether state and local enforcement agencies have the necessary training and guidance after getting such equipment;

-- Whether the federal government is sufficiently auditing the use of equipment obtained through federal programs and funding.

White House staff -- including members of the Domestic Policy Council, the National Security Council and the Office of Management and Budget -- will lead the review in coordination with Congress, according to the official.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Fire departments effected?????

The big guns of small-town cops
    A A A (resize font)
    Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama has ordered a review of programs allowing for state and local enforcement to buy military equipment, a senior administration official said Saturday.

The decision follows public criticism of the use of such assets recently in Ferguson, Missouri.

The review will touch on several points, including

-- Whether such programs and funding are appropriate;

-- Whether state and local enforcement agencies have the necessary training and guidance after getting such equipment;

-- Whether the federal government is sufficiently auditing the use of equipment obtained through federal programs and funding.

White House staff -- including members of the Domestic Policy Council, the National Security Council and the Office of Management and Budget -- will lead the review in coordination with Congress, according to the official.
    Typical liberal new reporting and likewise reaction for POTUS to try to keep from falling further in the polls. I challenge anyone to show me a US Police Dept that has a "big gun"! What the liberal media has chosen to call tanks are in fact nothing more than CBRNE equipped Bearcats (which are not military surplus at all but ordered specifically built for a department) or APCs ( Armored Personnel Carriers) not a one of which is equipped with any kind of armament other than to allow for small arms fire through ports. They are not TANKS. CNN do your job right and get the damn facts before you go mouthing off. I am quite sure that not a single CNN reporter who has been imbedded with a front line military unit would make the critical mistake of calling an APC a tank. Hey CNN there is a big friggin difference! One is an offensive weapon designed and used by the military the other is strictly a defensive weapon. Jimminy Christmas you would think , by the ridiculous rhetoric being thrown around, that our cops are using flamethrowers, .50 cal Browning SMGs, RPGs and Stinger missiles against civilians. Give me a break. I guess its too much to ask in this day and age that our journalists be unbiased and report the facts adn let our citizens make up their own minds but, no! Pursuit of those almighty dollars for advertising etc. is the only "principle" that matters any more to any of the major news networks.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-24-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Just a "power to the people" moment.
    Lots of important politicals to be aware of, some of which we can impact.

MembersZone Subscriber

that our cops are using flamethrowers,
    Hey, if the cops can have flame throwers, I want one for setting backfires. Yeah, thats the ticket - backfire.

Thread Information