Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Battery powered spreaders and cutters

Does anyone's dept. Use battery powered extrication tools? If so what is your opinion on them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarineFF2216 View Post
    Does anyone's dept. Use battery powered extrication tools? If so what is your opinion on them.
    A couple of guys that went to Howell Rescue's Crash Course said that they have the same power, but the batteries don't last a long time. You have maybe enough power for a basic extrication, so you need at least a couple backup batteries for each tool. I'm still a fan of the gas and electric pumps, but battery powered units would be good for places where you might have to use them off the road or in an remote location.

Forum Member

My Department uses them, the only downside as like previously stated is the fact that the batteries do not last long. I like them because they are easily deploy-able and they do the exact same job, they are way quieter and weigh a lot less. We have batteries that can be plugged into our extension cords on our apparatus'.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got a set of Hurst e-draulic cutters and spreaders about a year ago and love them. They are the first tool off of the squad now. We have not had a problem with power at all and the battery lasts long enough for most of the jobs we do. If they run out, we have extra batteries on the apparatus and we just swap them out, no problems.

We like them so much, we are ordering another set.

Forum Member

Speaking for the Hurst product - completely destroyed 3 cars in the junkyard without swapping batteries.
    They are a little big and bulky, and the tool housing is plastic. I've seen them break. .
    There are several squads in my area using them as their primary tools.

We looked at a battery powered set a number of years ago (Holmatro). The rep said he didn't sell many, as most folks tended to go for a gas powered set. We didn't buy either, as it turned out. Virtually every department around us has a set, so we can have 3 or 4 sets on scene in very little time.

That said, the tools seemed to work just fine, and would seem like the perfect solution for those incidents where the vehicle is a distance off the road - at least to get started until the gas-powered tools can be deployed.

We already had the DeWalt 24V battery the tool used, as well as a wired converter that plugged in to replace the battery once AC was available.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

My FD has the Hurst E-Draulic as well as the convential gas powered Hurst extrication tools. We carry spare batteries for the E-Draulics and have have noissues with them.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We had a rep come in and show them off. I was really impressed with them. I can't remember the brand, but I would assume they were Holmatro, because that's what our gas powered tools are.

Thread Information