Like Tree4Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2014

Forum Member

Default City of Los Angeles 2014

New testing process will begin soon

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/lac...m?JobID=547898

Forum Member

So the city is going to "randomly" select an unknown number of "qualified" candidates to sit for the written exam. After that, the interview is weighted for 100% of a candidate's score. How has this test not already been thrown out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    So the city is going to "randomly" select an unknown number of "qualified" candidates to sit for the written exam. After that, the interview is weighted for 100% of a candidate's score. How has this test not already been thrown out?
    Most likely they are going to have a straight lottery for the written and then the interviews be the decider. Surprised however, that they just don't train everyone for EMT in the academy, you'd be opening it up for more fairness that way then the way they are currently doing it because those "targeted" recruitment groups don't have the money for an EMT-B course. And yeah, I think that if what happen the last time is anything to go off of, hello square one again.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Surprised however, that they just don't train everyone for EMT in the academy, you'd be opening it up for more fairness that way then the way they are currently doing it because those "targeted" recruitment groups don't have the money for an EMT-B course.
    Well that'd be if they actually were trying to target certain groups. Just because they had to redo the exam doesn't mean they'll change anything.

Forum Member

Well that'd be if they actually were trying to target certain groups. Just because they had to redo the exam doesn't mean they'll change anything.
    Check out the JoinLAFD website, lol.

Forum Member

Does anyone actually know when we can apply ? The job bulletin says Opening 01/04/13 and Closing 01/17/13. Later down in the announcement is says online apps taken from July 22-24 2014 but it says nothing about in person registration. While JoinLAFD.com says the exam opens July 11 and delayed filing is July 22. Anyone understand this ?

Forum Member

Does anyone actually know when we can apply ? The job bulletin says Opening 01/04/13 and Closing 01/17/13. Later down in the announcement is says online apps taken from July 22-24 2014 but it says nothing about in person registration. While JoinLAFD.com says the exam opens July 11 and delayed filing is July 22. Anyone understand this ?
    July 22 800am to submit apps

Forum Member

Was going on JoinLAFD today, so now that information is not listed. What is going on? P.S. UFLAC President Frank Lima was on one of the shows this morning talking about having a fair process.

Forum Member

New Chief was named yesterday FYI.

Forum Member

December 29 is the first tower, 60 recruits.

Forum Member

http://lafd.org/images/stories/audio...2014-07-15.mp3

Around minute 32 they discuss the testing process. They say only 300 will be selected for the written exam ? WTF ?? So pretty much 1% of all applicants will even get to test, and if you make it to the written you're practically in.

Forum Member

That is rather discouraging to hear. I can understand the lottery system to cut down on the number of applicants to take the test, but going from 13,000 to 300 is ridiculous. Then it was mentioned only 1/3 of those make it to the next phase, meaning only 100 applicants? Somebody has their numbers wrong or that seems like a lot to do for only 100 new hires. I'm happily employed as a Houston TX firefighter, but i was looking forward to the opportunity to join my family in LA doing the only job I want to do!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPSboyFF View Post
    That is rather discouraging to hear. I can understand the lottery system to cut down on the number of applicants to take the test, but going from 13,000 to 300 is ridiculous. Then it was mentioned only 1/3 of those make it to the next phase, meaning only 100 applicants? Somebody has their numbers wrong or that seems like a lot to do for only 100 new hires. I'm happily employed as a Houston TX firefighter, but i was looking forward to the opportunity to join my family in LA doing the only job I want to do!
    That's interesting. But I agree about the process. Here's my question though, do you think that there will be another process sometime in the near future? To me it seems like this one is just going to be a stop gap to get new hires to try and alleviate OT, but it seems like it won't overcome the difference?

Forum Member

http://lafd.org/images/stories/audio...2014-07-15.mp3 They are planning to put on 3 classes from this hiring process. I just wish they would give more time in between the closing date and the written exam.ill be coming from a distance haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    That's interesting. But I agree about the process. Here's my question though, do you think that there will be another process sometime in the near future? To me it seems like this one is just going to be a stop gap to get new hires to try and alleviate OT, but it seems like it won't overcome the difference?
    Well the list is only good for one year, so one could assume there will be another process.

Forum Member

300 people is an absurdly low amount of people, it's not even fair to those applying to only have a 1-2% chance of even taking the written. Not to mention the idea of increasing females with this plan makes no sense, stratified sampling means if 3% of all applicants are female than 3% of the 300 will be female. 3% of 300 is 9! Let's say half fail the written now you're at maybe 5, they hired 1 in the last class and this model may only get them, 2 or 3 more. Hardly an improvement while hurting everyone else.

Forum Member

What I'm confused about is that there were a lot of complaints about the last process and people getting lucky with the cpat submissions. Everyone was trying to send them in at 0800 and part of the complaint was people got lucky to get an interview because it was when personnel received it, not when you sent it in. But in that process you were going to get an interview it would just be at a later date to fill future classes. Personnel told the fire commission they had planned to hire off that last list for years. In that process they took 965 for the first round which meant if you were 966 you were the first scheduled for the next round. But now it's even more a luck of the draw, with less candidates being selected and no guarantee of when you'll get the chance. I sat in the lottery with the county for almost 2 years and never got called. I'm just having trouble seeing how this makes it a more fair process and alleviates the problem from last time of qualified candidates getting passed over.

Forum Member

When it comes to the large municipal departments, qualified does not mean anything, they don't care about qualifications, they only care about their numbers, it's sad and not right to hire people to fill quotas, no citizen of any city wants the person responsible for their or their family's lives to be a product of some political correctness experiment

Forum Member

Anybody on here applied? We should know tomorrow.

Forum Member

I applied again, we'll see how this time turns out

Forum Member

I applied, from the Pac NW. Go Hawks!

Forum Member

I applied. Hopefully it was only us that applied.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

I applied as well. Hopefully we are all a part of that one percent that gets invited to the written haha. I'm very curious to see how many applied. I don't think the number will be anywhere close to 13,000. Does any know how long the application period was open on the last one? I forgot and can't find it online.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Found it finally, the last process was open from 01/04/13 - 01/17/13. That is 14 days compared with 2. I bet they will only get a max of 4,000 - 5,000 that means it's probably closer to a ten percent chance. Time will tell.

Thread Information