Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff
  • 3 Post By slackjawedyokel
  • 2 Post By captnjak
  • 1 Post By Daniel Byrne

Thread: Do the Old eat their Young?

Forum Member

Default Do the Old eat their Young?

I know this is an ambiguous title but is this a problem in your department?

Forum Member

Only if prime grade

Forum Member

Nowadays with the quality of younglings coming into the fire service, yes absolutely. Not only is it tradition, it is highly recommended.
    Daniel Byrne likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Back in 1972, hazing was common and required. It was a final test of character of the new guy. They were doing it to you to see how you responded as much as to see if you would do it. Being ordered to drop and give 20 push ups was a common infliction. So was eating Skippy canned dog food. Another was stripping and re waxing the squad room floor.

So was repeatedly sweeping, damp mopping and polishing the dorm floor. Or scrubbing the grout in the shower. It was considered ordinary treatment. I turned out OK....I think. An old Engineer told me the best way to get along in our then very good traditional ISO Class 1 Outfit was to imagine you are back in the Marine Corps, only you did not salute.

You also got to leave for 24 hours after pulling the 24 hour shift. I only had two short fist fights. Draws. Eating the young? Probably grill roasted medium rare, with no steak sauce would be best. Hold the salt also. Yep ... times have certainly changed. The question is; how are the new guys roasted today? They still do it, don't they? HB of CJ (old coot)

Forum Member

Not too many -- cause most are spoiled rotten.
    FyredUp, HBofCJ and fire49 like this.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Nowadays with the quality of younglings coming into the fire service, yes absolutely. Not only is it tradition, it is highly recommended.
    Guys have been grumbling about the quality of the "new guys" since the beginning of time. That 30 year guy you looked up to when you first walked in the door was once a know nothing probie. Someone way back when shook his head and grumbled about him too.

But I don't have a problem with at least trying to eat the young. It's part of how they prove themselves. It toughens them up. It makes them part of the company. And it's great fun! There time will come too and the circle will be completed.
    FyredUp and HBofCJ like this.

Forum Member

We throw them right on the BBQ and love to hear the sizzle. They need to! Its character building. We want to know how they handle themselves not to mention to see how bad they want to join the brotherhood! We all been through it and though we may get some laughs at their expense, once they prove themselves, they too get to join in the fun when new recruits come in for their first day all shiny with a glint in their eye, not knowing the fun in store for them.

All in all there are many traditions in the fire service that has been thrown to the wayside and I think its those traditions that have been passed down from our predecessors are what made the fire service such a bonded group!

If you cant stand the heat get out the kitchen - common cliche
    Just because someone thinks the want to be a fireman it doesn't mean they should! - My Dad 33 years SCFD Retired.

LOL! Love the replies.

There is a fine balance. Probies need to prove themselves and often times (many times) hazing shows a great deal of character and trust in the probie who can take it.

On the other hand some idiot takes hazing too far an injury results, a lawsuit, then ridiculous new policies and classes involving being tolerant and sensitive.

Good leadership keeps the balance.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Byrne View Post
    LOL! Love the replies.

There is a fine balance. Probies need to prove themselves and often times (many times) hazing shows a great deal of character and trust in the probie who can take it.

On the other hand some idiot takes hazing too far an injury results, a lawsuit, then ridiculous new policies and classes involving being tolerant and sensitive.

Good leadership keeps the balance.
    There's a difference between messing with someone and trying to send them to the hospital.

Honestly, it's a honor. If you don't feel that way, then that is your loss. Eagerly awaiting my opportunity.

Thread Information