Forum Member

Default Video interview for Wilmington, NC?

I'm applying in Wilmington, NC, and was told that I would be participating in a video-based aptitude test and a video interview (two separate events, on two separate days).

The video-based aptitude test sounds familiar. They say it will test mechanical comprehension, reading, math, writing, etc. I assume it will be the FireTEAM test, or something similar.

But the video interview I'm not sure about, and there isn't much information about it on their recruitment page or in any of their correspondence about the hiring process. Does anyone have any experience applying to this department, or any experience completing video interviews for other departments?

Thanks for any information you're willing to share.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jes82 View Post
    I'm applying in Wilmington, NC, and was told that I would be participating in a video-based aptitude test and a video interview (two separate events, on two separate days).

The video-based aptitude test sounds familiar. They say it will test mechanical comprehension, reading, math, writing, etc. I assume it will be the FireTEAM test, or something similar.

But the video interview I'm not sure about, and there isn't much information about it on their recruitment page or in any of their correspondence about the hiring process. Does anyone have any experience applying to this department, or any experience completing video interviews for other departments?

Thanks for any information you're willing to share.
    Are you out of town or does everyone do the video interview??

Unless it is a private company doing the interview????

Let's talk fire trucks!

Sounds like a very complex promotional process that I was an assessor for in Prince George's, MD. It was video and audio based and operated by a private company that was contracted by the PGFD. I've never heard of anyone using it during a hiring process, though.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Fire49: I am an out-of-town applicant, but based on their recruitment page, I believe everyone participates in the video interview. A panel interview is then required at a later phase in the application process.

BoxAlarm: Just out of curiosity, could you tell me a little more about PGFD's process? Maybe Wilmington's will be similar.

In general, I'm stumped by this. I've heard of video-based psychological exams, where you are shown a scenario and asked to pick from four or five possible responses. And I've heard of behavioral assessment video recordings, where you are shown a tape, and then asked to role play your response to the scenario. But I've never been asked to do a video-recorded interview before, so I was just wondering about the format, what kinds of questions they ask, how it differs from the panel interview, etc.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Forum Member

I took a video based interview last year given by a third party. Situational based questions came up on a screen while the camera recorded you. Very awkward experience in my opinion. Take any interview chance you get afforded no matter the format to help you understand what places ask for, develop style and confidence.

Forum Member

I took thesame kind of test for Austin. it was retarded. You cannot judge a person's character based on those type of questions. they're designed to make the hiring process more "fair".

Shawshank

We use to have something similar here in Norfolk. It was called the B-pad test. They sat you in front a tv and vcr and played a video tape of skits and scenarios that you would have to respond to. The scenario would play and then would stop and say respond across the screen. You would then have to pretend like you were there and mitigate the situation. While you are responding to these scenarios, you are being recorded by camcorder on a tripod. I think there were 6-8 scenarios all together. Here's what I remember from what they are.

1. You are on an ambulance crew and just picked up lunch and got in the box. You get dispatched for a call to a frequent flyer and your partner gets agitated and tries to talk you into finishing lunch before taking the call.

2. You arrive on the scene to a school bus rollover and parents of injured children are arriving on the scene. Many parents are becoming agitated at the lack of resources on scene and begin to interfere with operations.

3. You are on an ambulance crew that has arrived on a child death from an apparent sids case. You need to convince mom to put the child back in the crib so pd can do their investigation.

4. You respond to a structure fire and climb the ladder to find a conscious child victim in the open window. You need to calmly instruct her not to jump and get information if anyone else in the house is inside.

5. You are at a structure fire and you are climbing an interior staircase on an assigned task. A large burley biker dude steps out in front of you and blocks your path. You have to instruct him to leave the building and or call on the radio for assistance to remove him.

6.You are at the station and another male ff makes an inappropriate comment to a female firefighter. He then asks you, "Don't you agree?"

7. You are on the scene of a fire and your officer gives you a task. While starting that task, a different officer or chief gives you a different task. You have to explain you are already assigned a task from your company officer.
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Thread Information