Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2014 Computer DJs are out

Forum Member

All of the computer denials should have been received by now both in e-mail and the portal. If you didn't receive one for your Ops, it most likely went to panel review.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    All of the computer denials should have been received by now both in e-mail and the portal. If you didn't receive one for your Ops, it most likely went to panel review.
    So should I be happy I didn't receive a DJ yet or worried because I have received any 1199A's yet!!!

Forum Member

I am in the same boat as you. No DJ for the op's but no 1199 either. I am just hoping that they are saving the best for last!
    RFD18 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD18 View Post
    So should I be happy I didn't receive a DJ yet or worried because I have received any 1199A's yet!!!
    Yes be happy in the knowledge that your application made it to the peer review panel and was actually read by a human being. Hopefully they saw your need as great and scored you high enough to get an award.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

As Kurt said: any app that hasn't gotten a DJ mail at least made it to peer review where a couple sets of eyes got to read your compelling argument on why you should be funded.
    That means your numbers and demographic info made sense to the computer scoring matrix.

Now that that shoe has dropped lets all go over to the waiting bar and ponder the fate of the free world while we wait to see which apps make it through peer in a high enough level to get funded. The odds are getting slimmer by now .

Forum Member

Default chief

Well, the computer got us on apparatus replacement. We currently have to have three pumpers to meet the fire flow to maintain the 6 rating we hold and their ages are 1977, 1992 and a 2001. Not sure but really thought a 37 year old pumper would meet the computer test. The next oldest at 22 years old maybe I could see. Just not sure which way to move next. A 40 year old building with alot of needs and the way the budget is , not alot of options. Just venting , sorry. God Bless!
    Last edited by bsvfdchief; 07-17-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add to

Forum Member

So you have a pumper that is 13 years old. Depending upon your call statistics, this may be adequate to handle your district compared to others with a single engine 30+ years old. Unfortunately, maintaining an ISO rating is not the goal of the AFG program.

Forum Member

The 2001 is 1250 gpm and the two other pumpers are 1250 and 750 on the 77 pumper. The district flow is 3500 due to large hog , chicken and turkey farms. We have to run two of the three pumpers to equal 1500 gpm even on a fire alarm. If the 750 gpm meets the pump test later this year ,I will be amazed. Just met it last year ,dead on 750 gpm. Current budget will not support a loan as we are still paying on the 2001. Its a catch 22 .

Forum Member

As Sly alluded to, ISO has nothing to do with anything other than ISO. It's the NFPA reasoning on why ISO makes their scoring metrics what they are.

Plus I know of departments that have 5000+gpm on paper between all of their pumpers but they couldn't maintain the 500gpm flow so they didn't get the credit for 3500gpm. You won't either if you can't make the water flow when they show up for an audit. I have 2 departments with 1500gpm total that got full water supply credit because they moved the water during the testing with no hydrants at all. Pump rating on paper means jack anymore.

And on the grant specifics it goes by first-out in the category being requested, so with 1 station you already replaced the 2 old trucks with the 2001. 2 stations would make 1 of the old ones a primary response piece. Like Sly said, a lot of people with nothing under 25 years old that you'll score lower than. Doesn't mean you can't get funded, just means that narrative has to be bulletproofed for when it does get read so the compound score jumps up higher than those with better computer scores.

Forum Member

Thanks Guys, like I said just venting. If we dont maintain the 6, the folks in the district will suffer on insurance rates. Rating is based on rural water supply(water shuttle with tankers) with wide spread ,low flow hydrants being the water points.. I realize each district is different and each have different battles to fight. At the end of the day, we will do the best we can and be thankful.Thanks again.

Forum Member

Got rural departments without those hitting lower than that in their rural areas using 2.5in supply lines. It can be done, and whether anyone likes the answer or not it's the same for everything done in an FD: training. Practice like it's your house and you'd be amazed what the results of motivated people can be.
    RFD18 likes this.

Forum Member

ONe day maybe the state will require that the 30,000 sf wood frame turkey and chicken houses and the 15,000 sf hog house be sprinkled. It would make some things easier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsvfdchief View Post
    ONe day maybe the state will require that the 30,000 sf wood frame turkey and chicken houses and the 15,000 sf hog house be sprinkled. It would make some things easier.
    If you are basing your argument for a new engine on protecting large corporate bird & hog producers having a perceived risk, then you will not score well at computer or peer. As has been noted above your fleet average age is nowhere near old enough to be competitive when compared to many other depts needs.
    There are depts with the newest truck in the fleet at 30 years old , not getting funded.

If they have that large a risk, then they should be made to address it with their corporate dollars.

I get that rural departments want to do the best they can to minimize insurance costs for their neighbors , but we can't do everything without a municipal water supply capable of maintaining flow rates and yes we have some impressive tanker shuttles and rural water supply systems here also.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 07-18-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Forum Member

Ok , let me say the houses are owned by private farmers in a bad economy ,not cororate producers. They are just trying to make a living. Guess this is not a place here to voice opinions or vent and I have learned my lesson well. Thanks and God Bless.

Forum Member

On the contrary, that's what the board is here for. But like island alluded to, everyone should take care of their own first. It's a position I take in national/international issues also, but also very much so locally. If I take care of my house, and my neighbors take care of theirs, the ball keeps rolling and the community gets stronger.

So in the case of these farms, it is the primary responsibility of the farmers to do something to help their cause knowing their livelihood is contained in a tinderbox that a cigarette or lightening strike is going to wipe out no matter how great the FD is. If the trucks are there when the fire starts, they're going to have fire losses. Dig out a pond, use PVC pipe and create a sprinkler system with a valve connected to the well pump or some other rig-up to move water inside of the structure if it catches fire. Animals get wet outside, won't drown them if it's an open system. Ingenuity needs to make a comeback.

Forum Member

Got one dept. here that has only a 37 year old front line engine and cant make it past the computer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Yes be happy in the knowledge that your application made it to the peer review panel and was actually read by a human being. Hopefully they saw your need as great and scored you high enough to get an award.

Still haven't gotten a 1199A or a DJ!!!!
    Any ideas as to when the PEER DJ's will be sent out?
    The wait is starting to get to me, I just wanna know either way!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFD18 View Post
    Still haven't gotten a 1199A or a DJ!!!!
    Any ideas as to when the PEER DJ's will be sent out?
    The wait is starting to get to me, I just wanna know either way!!!!
    You and a couple of other 1000 or so FDs also want to know. As a wise old Shaolin monk once said " Patience Grasshopper". The peer review DJs will come but as to when? Don't expect to see anything till probably late August or September, same thing with your 1199a, it could appear at any time. Best thing to do at this point is "plan" on another project you can be working on for the 2014 AFG in case your current grant does in fact get funded and come pull up a seat at the "Wait and See" bar where the rest of are. Come on I'll buy you the first round!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Come on I'll buy you the first round!
    We're firefighters patience isn't our best attribute! Don't we all like to get in a save the victim, put out the fire and kiss the pretty girl in one breath?!?!

Let me find a 1199A and I'll buy us all a round!
    Or a DJ and I'll buy one for the heartbreak!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsvfdchief View Post
    Ok , let me say the houses are owned by private farmers in a bad economy ,not cororate producers. They are just trying to make a living. Guess this is not a place here to voice opinions or vent and I have learned my lesson well. Thanks and God Bless.
    Please don't take my comments personally. We all have come here to vent and seek others opinions on how to be successful at grant writing. Still based on the info given take "corporate " out & insert "private" in & you still have the same results. Do they have a fire pond on site capable of supplying you with all the water needed to extinguish any potential fire on the property?
    Why not?
    Because the fire dept does a good job. Even though it's not your responsibility to keep their insurance rates down. They need to step up to the plate and become an active partner in the solution.

How can the dept and the town help set up a dialog with the large private hog & fowl producers to get these kind of improvements made.
    There is something to look into for a fire prevention & safety grant application.
    EMT6126 likes this.

Forum Member

Were in the same situation, we even tried replacing our 76 & 79 with one new piece
    Stephen A McDaniels
    Chief
    Mocanaqua Vol Fire Company
    Luzerne County Pennsylvania

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you have for training, it seems like if you cant get past the computer you are doing something wrong. I am not saying you will be successful at peer but based on the information I have read on the forums regarding your situation you should be making it to peer. I would recommend getting with Kurt or Brian and getting to one of their classes.
    Mark

Forum Member

Unforunately, I worked on his app. Call volume being a factor for FV applications is a major issue for his department.

Forum Member

Call volume is an app killer for many departments. doesn't mean the need isn't there , just that others with higher call numbers will score higher based on all other factors being equal.

Forum Member

I'm not sure what other routes we can take here, I am about at my with ends trying for a vehicle grant the past serveral years. As stated before we are running with a 37+ year old pumper however only averaging between 80 to 100 calls per year, I am open for any and all suggestions that anyone might have
    Stephen A McDaniels
    Chief
    Mocanaqua Vol Fire Company
    Luzerne County Pennsylvania

Thread Information