Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Memphis Recruiting

I just heard Memphis will be recruiting firefighters. Does anyone know if they are recruiting off the list they assembled 2012/2013 or are they compiling a whole new list???

Forum Member

Old list is out. New list and new process is being started. Application period open now for the next three weeks.

Forum Member

Any preference points given to residents ? or when the written exam would be? I called HR but they did not have an answer.

Forum Member

Nope. No preference point for residency and I don't think the written test date has been scheduled

Forum Member

Does anyone have insight into the dept ? I read some info about reduction in benefits and layoffs

Forum Member

No layoffs. Currently 200+ short on manpower. A lot of medics have left recently and a lot of retirees.

In June, city council approved the mayor's budget which included a 24% in insurance premiums for current employees, elimination of retiree insurance (they will pay 100% of their premiums if they can actually qualify), all spouses were eliminated from employee insurance policies, and disability/on the job benefits were reduced.

Voting in October to take away the pension and change to a 401a (not K) system for all employees with less than 10 years on.

Plenty of unrest and protest right now. Among all city workers actually. Thinking things will be amended but who knows.

Regardless of that, the dept is short ppl due to many leaving over this ordeal. So there are spots and it's still a good job. You'll see more fire in memphis than anywhere else in the country--and I believe that 100%. You'll get all kinds of medical experience--these streets are rough. But, if they don't change or amend what was implemented last budget approval meeting, there will be no one left here. No one will stay with nothing to look fwd to at retirement.

25 years working in memphis is like working 40 years anywhere else. Who's going to break your body down year after year only to retire without insurance or a defined pension.

Another way council and this ****ty mayor has turned a proud department into just a job. Sad.

Forum Member

Thank you for the information . That is sad to take so much away from city workers

Forum Member

@TNFFP- what kind of residency requirements does the City of Memphis has? Thank you for your time.

Forum Member

Have to live within Shelby County. So that includes a lot of nice suburbans too. Bartlett, Germantown, Collierville, Millington, Lakeland, Arlington.
    Inside of Memphis city limits, East Memphis, Cordova, Harbortown and Midtown are the ways to go.

Forum Member

I know they said EMT's are preferred, but can anyone give an opinion on the chances of someone with Firefighter 1 and Hazmat tech getting hired on? Or atleast making it to the written exam? I'm sure no one knows for sure, just looking for opinions. Memphis is quite a ways away from me so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth all the traveling. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cadams17 View Post
    I know they said EMT's are preferred, but can anyone give an opinion on the chances of someone with Firefighter 1 and Hazmat tech getting hired on? Or atleast making it to the written exam? I'm sure no one knows for sure, just looking for opinions. Memphis is quite a ways away from me so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth all the traveling. Thanks
    They say they prefer EMT or Paramedic, but honestly, it makes no difference to the 3rd party hiring company and ultimately HR who does the hiring. You'll see there will be more non-EMT's/Medic in every class they put through. I think the last class of 60 that was hired, <20 were EMT or Paramedics.

For the non's, you will go through EMT in the academy. For those that are already EMT or Paramedic, you will be released early to the field.

Thread Information