Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MemphisE34a

Thread: Memphis Recruiting

Forum Member

Default Memphis Recruiting

I just heard Memphis will be recruiting firefighters. Does anyone know if they are recruiting off the list they assembled 2012/2013 or are they compiling a whole new list???

Forum Member

They are having a lot pf problems with the director, mayor and council. I'd stay away from them. Go to the TV stations web site and the newspaper and read about their problems.

Facebook has a lot on this as well.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I called the recruitment depart. at HR....she said we will have to apply again. She said letters will go out later this month saying the old list has expired....Which I think is sum BS when they only had one class off that list......But thats what she said.

Forum Member

They are compiling a new list.

Come live and work in one of the most dangerous cities in the country. You to can risk your life for mediocre pay, no pension, and no healthcare after retirement. They are also looking to cut sick time, college incentive, and holidays.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 07-17-2014 at 02:39 AM.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Yeah, it's one of the more traditional and agressive departments out there, but as you see it sucks right now. I'm steering clear.

Forum Member

I was just in Nashville last week teaching an NFA class for the TN Fire Chiefs Association Conference and heard that Memphis was cutting truck companies and staff. A 2% reduction was what I heard.

So why would they be recruiting?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I was just in Nashville last week teaching an NFA class for the TN Fire Chiefs Association Conference and heard that Memphis was cutting truck companies and staff. A 2% reduction was what I heard.

So why would they be recruiting?
    Because we are short by more than what they are cutting......

And because they don't plan very well.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Because we are short by more than what they are cutting......

And because they don't plan very well.
    So they are essentially cutting unfilled positions and recruiting to fill in the gap?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Yes. They cut over 100 positions through attrition, but are down significantly more than that. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but I am sure I can get them.

The short of the benefits is that they are trying to eliminate pension for all new and unvested employees and have cut 100% of retiree healthcare subsidies - it has been a 70% subsidy for decades. Basically, effective January 1st, retire healthcare is going from under $500 a month to about $1600 for those ineligible for medicare. It very much appears as if they are trying to force retirees onto Obamacare.

Our position is that benefits - including a pension and healthcare subsidies that have been promised are part of our compensation package and that changes need to be made in priorities of spending - the City and County combined have given away almost half a BILLION dollars in tax money in the last 5 years, yet say they can no longer afford pension and healthcare payments.

It's a mess. The City is inadvertently changing public safety careers into just another job you can have until you get a better one - or maybe that's exactly what they want.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wlt30 View Post
    I called the recruitment depart. at HR....she said we will have to apply again. She said letters will go out later this month saying the old list has expired....Which I think is sum BS when they only had one class off that list......But thats what she said.
    i was on that list and HR told me the same thing and you're right it is some BS we went from being on a hiring list to having to compete with 3,000 more people smh i think i will wait on shelby county to recruit i even applied to west memphis they are also taking apps until the aug 15

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    i was on that list and HR told me the same thing and you're right it is some BS we went from being on a hiring list to having to compete with 3,000 more people smh i think i will wait on shelby county to recruit i even applied to west memphis they are also taking apps until the aug 15
    Baltimore County is taking apps. Can you qualify for them?

Forum Member

double post...............

Forum Member

Not even close to 3000 people applied. If you want some free advice, I would look elsewhere. Memphis fire is heading deeper into the ****ter.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Forum Member

No where close to 3000 people applied - less than a third of that.

If you want some free advice, look somewhere else - unless you would enjoy risking your life on a daily basis by living and working in one of the most violent areas of the country for mediocre pay, no pension, no subsidized healthcare at retirement, and a Command Staff and City Administration that thinks every employee is a nail that needs to be hammered.

If that's your cup of tea, come on down.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Baltimore County is taking apps. Can you qualify for them?
    yes i can qualify thanks for the heads up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    yes i can qualify thanks for the heads up
    You live near there and would like it a lot better than the bs in Memphis.

Thread Information