Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By islandfire03
  • 2 Post By JayDudley

Thread: Lazy Engineers and Acting Engineers

Forum Member

Default Lazy Engineers and Acting Engineers

Hi everyone. I just joined the forum. I've been in the fire service for 11 years and in my current position as an engineer for the last 5 or 6 years. I have had a problem with other engineers since pretty much ever since I promoted especially at my station which I have been at for around 5 years. It never fails that if the other 2 shift have a fire or a mvc with entrapment when I come in I have to spend my morning cleaning and putting everything back together. I'm not talking oh the truck needs washed, but scba's cover in sand and insolation, air bottles low, hooks covered in crap, hose loaded so bad that when you go to pull it back off that it will barely deploy, radios covered in crap, fuel low in equipment, and so on. Now I know that yes its my job to check my truck and all that, but I look at from the stand point of one it's gonna bit one of the other shifts in the a** one day when something goes wrong because of their engineer being lazy and two I'm not coming into work 2 hours early to make sure the truck is ready before my shift starts. If we catch a fire first thing my crew is screwed and that really ****es me off! I've talked to the other officers and engineers and my Lieutenant has talked to them and the problem still exist. I'm looking for any advice that could help me solve this problem.

Document the lack of maintenance and refilling equipment and run it up the flagpole to the boss.
    follow the chain of command to the top,

photos of the mess they leave behind posted on the kitchen bulletin board have an effect
    FWDbuff likes this.

As an Engineer for over 20 years and now retired I was told by my Captain "Just do your job and don't worry about the other shifts". I to was always complaining about the other Engineers on the other shifts not doing their jobs......but in the end there was less "Drama" when I just stuck to doing my job albeit doing some of theirs also. It make for a much less tension free shift for me anyways. Good luck.
    HBofCJ and fire49 like this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Sometimes the other two shifts will leave you lots of clean up to do. It happens. Back then the City did not like overtime. Sometimes we had to take a city vehicle with the whole new crew to the fire scene and relieve them there. If we worked more than 15 minutes overtime, we were supposed to fill out an overtime slip and send it in. Almost never happened .... nobody filled them in. I remember staying over at least 30 minutes many times cleaning up our mess until told to go home by the oncoming house Captain. We all tried to do this together.

Answers already given before me. I need to read the answers before giving mine. Being a good Engineer means that all the little bitchie things never got to the Company Captains attention. But guess what; he already knew, having been at one time an Engineer himself. I tried to do the Engineers job the best I could, including going the extra mile to clean up our mess and sometimes the other shifts mess. We all did. Also FWIW, we NEVER called an ENGINE a "truck". Only LADDER TRUCKS were called "trucks". Long ago. HB of CJ (old coot)

I really do get what everyone is saying....just do your job. But it gets really old really fast, when others are not doing there jobs!! Been in your shoes, and it gets so fustrating. Keep a record of it for yourself to CYA. If you need to send the info up the chain, make sure your info and theirs is both up to date with same info. Had same issues few years ago, someone eventually got wrote up and problem mostly went away. Now dealing with a relief driver doing some of same things. We will see what happens next

Forum Member

Thanks for all the input. From reading what all of yall have posted it seems like most good engineer's think the same way. FYI, in my department we don't have truck companies. We do have ladders that are staffed, but they run as quints and mainly function as engine companies. That is why I refered to the engine as a truck.

Forum Member

Document everything. Around here, it's not just the engineer or driver's job to put the truck back in service, it's the entire CREWS job. We all help each other out filling bottles, cleaning SCBA and equipment. There is a standard rule that for any fires after 2000, the next crew cleans any hose, the crew that has the fire just loads clean hose back on the truck as needed. Drivers are not supposed to let the truck get below 1/2 a tank in fuel. Sometimes that happens at busy stations if you get a bunch of back to back runs, but it's still rare.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Document everything. Around here, it's not just the engineer or driver's job to put the truck back in service, it's the entire CREWS job. We all help each other out filling bottles, cleaning SCBA and equipment. There is a standard rule that for any fires after 2000, the next crew cleans any hose, the crew that has the fire just loads clean hose back on the truck as needed. Drivers are not supposed to let the truck get below 1/2 a tank in fuel. Sometimes that happens at busy stations if you get a bunch of back to back runs, but it's still rare.
    Yes. I can't remember visiting too many departments where the entire crew didn't make sure they were ready for the next run either. Been around firefighters for nearly forty years and don't recall too many slackers.

Every Department has at least one "Slug". Just remember there may be a time where "YOU" just can't clean everything and the next crew is coming on.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

For us the entire crew puts the truck back in service. In service for us means everything cleaned, all fuels topped off and bottles refilled. If a crew returns and it is after shift change the on coming crew will normally send the crew home and put the truck back in service. Things get missed from time to time and is normally delt with in a captain to captain meeting and then taken care of with the crew, if that doesn't work then write ups start appearing. The driver is the responible party of said truck and he will be the one getting a write up, but I have seen driver and captain get a write up and have seen the entire crew get one.

As for the OP I see two things. One there is no pride in ownership and no pride in the job by some people. Two the admin needs to take a stand and make people do their job. As a engineer if the truck is not returned to service then as a driver I am not doing my job.

Thread Information