Forum Member

Default Indiana firefighters Kelly day?

This is just a random curiosity of mine. And if your on a department in another state other than Indiana then your more than welcome to chime in also. Does your department have Kelly day or is the overtime worked in your pay. Our department does a 30 day Kelly cycle so every 10th shift day we have a day off for our Kelly. My brother in law is with IFD they are on a 21 day Kelly cycle so he has the same shift day off (Thursdays) all the time which sounds really nice! I've heard of some places doing weird stuff like sleep time where they don't count 5 hours of the day unless you go on a run so let me know what your department does!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Our OT is simply built into our paychecks (56 hour work week). We automatically get 9 hours of OT on 2 out of every 3 paychecks. Captains and above get comp time in lieu of the OT.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our OT is built in as well (56 hr week) but we're paid the average of 56 hrs every week with 3 hrs (above 53) being at time and a half. Then every hour worked beyond scheduled time is OT, regardless of which week were in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rte1985 View Post
    I've heard of some places doing weird stuff like sleep time where they don't count 5 hours of the day unless you go on a run so let me know what your department does!

FLSA allows up to 8 hours of a 24 hour shift to be unpaid assuming the employee gets at least 5 hours of sleep (total, not in a row). Any time within that 8 hours actually spent working must be paid, so if you ran calls within that period that added up to no more than 3 hours, they would only have to pay you for the time actually working, but if they exceed 3 hours you get the entire 8 hours.

This rule was being used by some agencies when I started, but wasn't very common. Mostly private ambulance companies, and seasonal wildland firefighters. I haven't run across anyone working under those rules in about 10 years.

While taking employees off the clock when sleeping probably sounds good to some managers, I have a feeling the logistics of tracking the time spent on runs and the ups and downs of salary each check (which requires more effort from payroll clerks), vs a set salary each pay period probably makes even the tightest scrooge of a manager happy to negotiate away "sleep time".
    Last edited by Here and there; 07-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Member

Work 42 hour week,the extra 2 hours count at time and a half so 3 hours . Those build up to an extra 3 weeks off per year (paid) .

OT is when you fill in on another shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are on a 28 day pay cycle we are paid over time for anything over 212 hours in the 28 day cycle. We have 4 hours of scheduled OT twice then 28 hours of scheduled OT. Any other hours are listed as unscheduled OT. Neighbors to the north of us are the same and our neighbors to the south have to take time off including 4 hours when on their short cycles and 28 hours when on long cycle.

Forum Member

A lot of Ohio fire depts. are on the Kelly day cycle, so you always have the same day off. You average a48 hour week, and having 5 days off every 3 weeks is nice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    We are on a 28 day pay cycle we are paid over time for anything over 212 hours in the 28 day cycle. We have 4 hours of scheduled OT twice then 28 hours of scheduled OT. Any other hours are listed as unscheduled OT.
    Same here.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Indianapolis is on a 21 day cycle for Kelly days. We pick them by seniority near the end of one year and they take affect Jan.1 the following year. Kelly Days are picked in work groups of either 11,12, or 14 people. Ex. A double company (Eng./Ladder) has 9 firefighters assigned. 5 assigned to the engine, 4 assigned to the ladder. They are paired up with a single Engine Co. that has 5 assigned. That is one example of a work group of 14. 2 people a day in the group are off on each assigned shift day in the 21 day cycle. (24/48). An 11 person work group might be an Eng./Lad./Squad (2 assigned) 2 people are off on 4 days, and the other 3 days have 1 person off each shift day in the cycle. It doesn't matter which days you have two people but once 2 people pick the day, it's closed. Weekend days usually go first. There are some stragglers such as a Batt. Chief Aide who is lumped in with a group. There is movement created sometimes when only one person is off on a particular day and the lowest person in the group that might be extra gets moved to the short apparatus in the group, or somewhere else as needed. Batt. Chiefs have their own group and I believe only 3 out of 11 can be off city-wide on any given day. Some of our eng/ladder double companies are 10 man groups so a 2 person apparatus, or a couple of singles will be added to get an 11,12, or 14 man group. We still get up to 10 Vac. days a year depending on seniority. We also have subs that cover shortages and they get Kelly days too, but can only pick Mon.- Thurs. I hope this explains it. PM me if you need more info.
    Last edited by IFDFFENG20; 07-24-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks guys with the posts. It's interesting to see how other departments operate. Here and there, it's nice to know that the flsa rule for 8 hours unpaid if you don't exceed the 3 hour work timeframe is getting fazed out. The thought of being at work and not getting paid boggles my mind! IFDeng20, thanks for the info, I always wondered how you guys did your kellys. We go by seniority also but instead of allowing people to pick their days it just starts with our most senior guy on shift he gets day one and it goes down the list.

Thread Information