Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Working 48's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Working 48's

It's been awhile since I have posted, but its time for some more advice. What is your opinion on working for two full time departments. Working 48 on and 24 off?

Forum Member

How are you going to make the commute work

Will hate one and despise the other

Forum Member

All sorts of reasons why it MIGHT not be such a good idea. Exhaustion, burnout, injury, fatigue and job dislike come to mind. Also the practical aspect of either agency not allowing you to work two very full time jobs? Practically speaking, how are you going to be able to remain on your feet for a straight 48?

The various Western fire agencies who have tried the 48 hr shifts got away from them quickly if the agency had any high average activity levels One specific agency who still runs 48 hour shifts does so because their AVERAGE suppression company only runs slightly over 500 emergency calls YEARLY! S--L--O--W.

Then like already said before me better .... how are you going to do the commute? How can you possibly be in two different locations at the same time ... like at change of shift or watch? I dunno fur sures. Maybe you can make up a special schedule that works for you ... or get a "get off buddy" relief friend. HB of CJ (old coot)

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HBofCJ View Post
    The various Western fire agencies who have tried the 48 hr shifts got away from them quickly if the agency had any high average activity levels One specific agency who still runs 48 hour shifts does so because their AVERAGE suppression company only runs slightly over 500 emergency calls YEARLY! S--L--O--W.
    When I researched 48's for a project several years ago, I found the exact opposite. The 48's were very popular on the west coast, and slowly becoming more popular on the East Coast. In fact, I specifically noted in my report that I couldn't find a WC department that had fully adopted the 48's that had gone back to 24's. I'll have to see if I can find that report.

Anyhoo, back to the OP's question, I think it's a bad idea to even consider the idea for a number of reasons: commute time between departments, scheduling training, working out trade days, burnout setting in very quickly, possibility of mandatory holdovers in the morning, not getting enough rest, possible conflict of HR issues between the two departments, and the list goes on...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFRicketts View Post
    It's been awhile since I have posted, but its time for some more advice. What is your opinion on working for two full time departments. Working 48 on and 24 off?
    How are you going to handle getting a run right before you are supposed to get off, and being late to the next job?? If you only take 8-10 runs it might be okay, but you could easily get burned out.

We are an active fire department and work a 48/96. With great leadership and balance it has been the greatest schedule I have worked in my adult life. I have worked 12/12, day-night-48, 24/48, you name it. Great schedule!!!!

Thread Information