Forum Member

Default Another topic about getting in shape

Hello folks, I've been a member of my volunteer fire department for a little over a year and a half. I just completed my state Firefighter I&II Class and I go to take my Hazmat Awareness and Ops test soon. However now that I have the knowledge from my Firefighter I&II class (My department barley trained me) and I go to implement it I find that I am very much out of shape. I feel I need to get in better shape or I'm just going to get myself or someone else hurt. Also I would like to get a job next year at a combination department a few towns over and the testing system there is very strenuous from what I understand (climb 8 flights of stairs with full gear and SCBA, off air and a obstacle course on air). Now my town is tiny and does not have a gym and neither do any of the adjacent towns, I may be able to make a arrangement with the school principal to use the school gym but I'm not counting on it. So far I've taken up jogging about a mile every day does anyone have any suggestions about a good workout that would help?
    Thanks

Forum Member

Any personal trainers around ???

Or school coach that will do some private training??

Off duty firefighter that likes to work out??

Forum Member

a lot of big departments have a fitness packet you can look through and download online.
    as an example, here is LAFD's fitness brochure:

http://www.joinlafd.org/pdf/LAFD_Fitness_Brochure.pdf

you can also take a look through some fitness books or books geared towards firefighter fitness.

Forum Member

Thanks 512brian

And no personal trainers or the sort around. As far as I've seen I'm the only one on the department seeking out any personal improvement (fitness, training, equipment etc)

Forum Member

First off, in my opinion I feel like firefighting is a lot of stamina. There is a lot of strength that is involved to (lifting, carrying heavy equipment/ carrying patients etc.) But I feel that if you don't have decent stamina then it doesn't take much work to suck the life out of you. Plus when your on air it is somewhat restrictive in the amount of air you can suck in which doesn't help when your out of shape or really winded. We do bottle tests for our department each year where everyone has to do a continuous fire related obstacle course to see where they stand on how long an air bottle will last them in a work environment. We have a couple big guys who tend to suck down a 30 minute bottle in 10 minutes when most everyone else is about 18-20 minutes roughly. I personally say you don't need a gym if it's an inconvenience. I find body weight workouts are great. For one they are easier on joints if your not use to lifting. Two, they allow you to do more reps/sets which leads also to a cardio workout effect by increasing heart rate and breathing. Air squats, lunges, pushups, burpees, jump rope, are all great workouts. Try doing 100 air squats as fast as you can (without sacrificing form!) Make sure you do a real squat and not half a## it. It might take you 3 sets or it might take you 15 sets to get them in just do as many as you can for each set take a breather and do the next set. Do the same with push ups, jump rope etc. Then after that you can work on getting done faster or doing less sets. If you can find a used oly bar for cheap you can add front squats, regular squats, thrusters etc. For more cardio based I'm not a fan of long distance stuff. Try sprinting 40 yards as fast as you can then take a minute break then sprint again. Do that for 10 sprints. Sprinting stairs is also another killer workout. Just be patient and persistent and you'll get there!! Good Luck!

Forum Member

Try doing anything metabolic like Tabatas, dumbbell, barbell, or kettlebell complexes. Always aim to do something, preferably before a meal, to ensure your metabolism is all revved up. But I think jogging helps a lot too.

Forum Member

Thanks folks! I've kept up the jogging and I get access to a gym soon. The jogging is helping, I've already seen improvement. Thanks again for your support and suggestions.
    (And I passed hazmat wohooo!!)

Forum Member

There are a lot of home workouts out there you can do in your house with minimal equipment. Things like Insanity and P90X are both really good work outs that require little to no extra equipment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firedwight View Post
    Thanks folks! I've kept up the jogging and I get access to a gym soon. The jogging is helping, I've already seen improvement. Thanks again for your support and suggestions.
    (And I passed hazmat wohooo!!)
    Go to a Hardware store and get you some 3mil heavy duty trash bags, duct tape, and bags of sand. Make sandbags. Climb stairs with them, squat with them, put em in a backpack and hike with them etc. Get an old basketball. Take out the plug, fill it full of sand, get some concrete caulk and caulk up the opening. Home made medicine ball. Youtube medicine ball ****. Go to a junkyard. Should be able to get a tractor tire for free. Flip it. A lot. Buy a sledge hammer and hit the tractor tire. Great cardio exercise. Buy some rope from the same hardware store, a large piece of plywood, and a 3 inch cylinder pipe about a foot to foot and a half long. Attach it and the rope to the ply board, stack tires on the pipe and youve got a drag sled. Youll maybe spend 80 bucks, if that on all of this and you will have near 30-50 different exercises you can now do in your back yard.

Thread Information