Forum Member

Default no hearing in one ear, dq?

I am thinking about pursuing a career as a firefighter, if possible. I cant hear out of one ear, normal hearing in the other. Is this an automatic disqualification? I know there is a hearing test. Not sure who to talk to on this to get a for sure answee, thanks.

Forum Member

One is to check the policy of each department

Some will have different disqualifiers

And I guess not fixable ??

Forum Member

This from NFPA:

6.1* Medical Evaluation. Medical evaluations of candidates shall be conducted prior to
    training programs or participation in departmental emergency response activities.
    6.1.1* Medical evaluation of candidates including history, examination, and laboratory
    tests as indicated shall be performed on each candidate in order to detect any physical or
    medical condition(s) that could adversely affect the candidate’s ability to safely perform
    all essential job tasks under emergency conditions.
    6.1.2 If a candidate presents with a condition that temporarily interferes with his/her
    ability to safely perform essential job tasks, the pre-placement medical evaluation shall
    be postponed until the candidate has recovered from that condition.
    6.2 Medical Conditions Affecting Ability to Safely Perform Essential Job Tasks.
    6.2.1 Medical conditions that can affect a candidate’s ability to safely perform essential
    job tasks shall be designated either Category A or Category B.
    6.2.2 Candidates with Category A medical conditions shall not be certified as meeting the
    medical requirements of this standard.
    6.2.3 Candidates with Category B medical conditions shall be certified as meeting the
    medical requirements of this standard only if they can perform the essential job tasks
    without posing a significant safety and health risk to themselves, members, or civilians.

6.5* Ears and Hearing.
    6.5.1 CategoryAmedical conditions shall include the following:
    (1) Chronic vertigo or impaired balance as demonstrated by the inability to
    tandem gait walk.
    (2) On audiometric testing, average hearing loss in the unaided better ear greater
    than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric
    device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
    (3) Any ear condition (or hearing impairment) that results in a person not being
    able to safely perform essential job tasks.
    6.5.2 Category B medical conditions shall include the following:
    (1)*Unequal hearing loss
    (2) Average uncorrected hearing deficit at the test frequencies 500 Hz, 1000 Hz,
    2000 Hz, and 3000 Hz greater than 40 dB in either ear
    (3) Atresia, stenosis, or tumor of the auditory canal
    (4)*External otitis
    (5)*Agenesis or traumatic deformity of the auricle
    (6)*Mastoiditis or surgical deformity of the mastoid
    (7)*Ménière’s syndrome, labyrinthitis, or tinnitus
    (8)*Otitis media

Forum Member

thanks for that information.

If i am interpreting what you posted correctly then it would all come down to whether they determine if its something that would keep me from doing the job, and not an automatic disqualification.

It seems like it would be ok. I mean, you would never know that i couldnt hear out of one ear unless i made mention of it. Not that they wouldnt find out, just that its never been a problem in my life since i lost hearing, and i dont think it would impair me. Do you have to wear some type of ear piece all the time? im not really sure on all the different departments. Id like to do operations.

I just dont want to go all the way through the school and certifications and find out i wont be allowed to do it.
    Last edited by Drewskii; 07-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    One is to check the policy of each department

Some will have different disqualifiers

And I guess not fixable ??
    im not sure if it can be fixed, it happened after i was in a car accident...i dont remember the exact reason for the hearing loss, just got hit in the head pretty hard. Ill take it up with my MD on my visit in a month.

Forum Member

Visit some fire chiefs in your area and ask

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drewskii View Post
    thanks for that information.

If i am interpreting what you posted correctly then it would all come down to whether they determine if its something that would keep me from doing the job, and not an automatic disqualification.

It seems like it would be ok. I mean, you would never know that i couldnt hear out of one ear unless i made mention of it. Not that they wouldnt find out, just that its never been a problem in my life since i lost hearing, and i dont think it would impair me. Do you have to wear some type of ear piece all the time? im not really sure on all the different departments. Id like to do operations.

I just dont want to go all the way through the school and certifications and find out i wont be allowed to do it.
    If none of these apply to you:

(1) Chronic vertigo or impaired balance as demonstrated by the inability to
    tandem gait walk.
    (2) On audiometric testing, average hearing loss in the unaided better ear greater
    than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric
    device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
    (3) Any ear condition (or hearing impairment) that results in a person not being
    able to safely perform essential job tasks.

Then your interpretation is correct. That said, these are not universal guidelines, but seem to be fairly standard.

Thread Information