Thread: Need feedback!

Forum Member

Default Need feedback!

Brothers, I need your help I just finished my probationary and figured id be able to get a grip on my adrenaline. I find that its getting easier to control. E.g. ill person's injured person's mva's usually dont get my adrenaline going anymore. I find that my adrenaline is still hard to control most of the time though. I really want to control and conquer it so I dont get hurt or hurt someone else. My officers advice has helped somewhat does anyone have viable information. Plz no negative feedback. This is serious stuff to me.

Forum Member

Just slow down

Think about what you are going to do

Forum Member

It just takes time. I remember in my earliest days that a car fire would get me royally jacked up. Now nothing gets me quivery and tachy like it used to! Concentrated on the tasks you do, and in time you'll be calmer.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

See thats what everyone tells me, in time ill get use to it. My chief on the other hand says I have to get rid of it completly. No shaking no signs nothing. We had an industrial size scrap dumpster fire this after noon. I was all ready. I accidently pulled my hood out from under my coat. I said "aww ****" my chied lost it. Yelled at toldme to unpack and un mask. Then he humiliated me Iin front of co workers and civilians. I thought I was good to go. But now I having doubts about my career. Its all negativity when he talks about me. But everyone says Im fine. I dont mean to rant but I feel this is the only place I can rant and ask for help without being talked down on.

Forum Member

Sounds like the chief has some problems also,

Guess he was never new on the job

Maybe find a mentor and seek advice and help

Forum Member

Your chief is a dick!

At least you know now that he's not in your corner for whatever reason. Look to others for advice and confidence building. It really does take time. He's not being realistic by expecting you to be perfect right out of the gate. No one else ever was, including him.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    See thats what everyone tells me, in time ill get use to it. My chief on the other hand says I have to get rid of it completly. No shaking no signs nothing. We had an industrial size scrap dumpster fire this after noon. I was all ready. I accidently pulled my hood out from under my coat. I said "aww ****" my chied lost it. Yelled at toldme to unpack and un mask. Then he humiliated me Iin front of co workers and civilians. I thought I was good to go. But now I having doubts about my career. Its all negativity when he talks about me. But everyone says Im fine. I dont mean to rant but I feel this is the only place I can rant and ask for help without being talked down on.
    As for your "adrenaline control"... when the tones drop, walk to the apparatus, don your gear, when you step off of the rig take a deep breath and assess what the situation is. Every rookie goes through the adrenaline rush, it is part of the "rites of passage" in the fire service.

PS: Your Chief needs to learn this mantra... "praise in public, scold in private".
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thanks for all the great advice brothers. I really do appreciate it!

Forum Member

Start thinking about what you're going to do en route to the call. The equipment you need, how you're going to handle the call based on what it is (Sick person, fall, chest pain, etc....). Remember that you didn't cause this problem. You're going to try and fix it and the best way to do that is with a calm demeanor and clear thought process. Also, in reality, 90% of the EMS runs we go on are not critical. Take the 5 to 10 seconds to gather yourself.

When you roll up on a good fire..... I don't know at what point you stop getting the jitters because I am nowhere near that point but, seriously, taking 5 seconds to calm down and formulate a plan will make for a much better operation.

Your Chief sounds awesome....

Forum Member

I will never forget driving to my first fire and having to mash the pedal just to keep the foot shakes under control. It comes with time, you didn't create the problem, you are just there to fix it. Take a deep breath, formulate the game plan in your head and go to work.
    www.whatsinyourpockets.com

Your source for Quality, handmade Firefighter pocket tools

Forum Member

I used to be like this, and it's really not a bad thing in the beginning. What I did when I was a newbie I always took deep breaths before responding. It is something you have to get used to, however. As far as your chief goes, not only is he embarrassing you by chewing you out on a scene but he's also making your department look bad. I agree with DeputyChiefGonzo with the Praise in Public, Scold in Private idea.

Thread Information