Forum Member

Default My New Custom Turnout Gear....Too Big?

I just got new custom fitted bunker gear and I feel that my coat is too large.....it's definitely too long in the sleeves (tip of sleeve goes past my finger tips....wristlets go like 2" past finger tips...) so I'm bringing it back for them to re-fit the sleeves, which doesn't seem like it will require too much work....but my main concern is that really, I think the entire jacket may be too large.

My name flap comes all the way down to the crease behind my knees, and the chest and back feel too wide as well....

I'm a smaller female (5'4" with a small frame) and I seriously feel like somebody's kid when I'm wearing that thing. My old jacket fits great....but needed to be replaced. It just sucks when it feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

When I was being measured I kind of questioned the measurements and the guy wasn't too fond of that. Now, 3 months later it's FINALLY finished, but I'm bringing it back in a few days, questioning those same measurements and then some. Part of me feels bad for being adamant that this is too large and that I want them to re-do it, because that's a lot of re-work.....but I guess I just want to know if this coat sounds like it's too long (certainly feels too long). The guy was kind of a dick the first time I was there. I just want to be sure I'm not off my rocker before I start to ask for all these changes....my thought is that he's going to try to get me to believe that it fits fine, since he's the one who messed up with the measuring...but I need this thing to fit correctly.

Thoughts?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by FF28 View Post
    I just got new custom fitted bunker gear and I feel that my coat is too large.....it's definitely too long in the sleeves (tip of sleeve goes past my finger tips....wristlets go like 2" past finger tips...) so I'm bringing it back for them to re-fit the sleeves, which doesn't seem like it will require too much work....but my main concern is that really, I think the entire jacket may be too large.

My name flap comes all the way down to the crease behind my knees, and the chest and back feel too wide as well....

I'm a smaller female (5'4" with a small frame) and I seriously feel like somebody's kid when I'm wearing that thing. My old jacket fits great....but needed to be replaced. It just sucks when it feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade.

When I was being measured I kind of questioned the measurements and the guy wasn't too fond of that. Now, 3 months later it's FINALLY finished, but I'm bringing it back in a few days, questioning those same measurements and then some. Part of me feels bad for being adamant that this is too large and that I want them to re-do it, because that's a lot of re-work.....but I guess I just want to know if this coat sounds like it's too long (certainly feels too long). The guy was kind of a dick the first time I was there. I just want to be sure I'm not off my rocker before I start to ask for all these changes....my thought is that he's going to try to get me to believe that it fits fine, since he's the one who messed up with the measuring...but I need this thing to fit correctly.

Thoughts?
    Sounds way too big. Make them make it right.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Someone paid a lot of money for that "custom fitted" turnout gear. Now make them make it right.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I agree with the others. Your department paid for gear that was supposed to properly fit you. If it clearly doesn't fit you, then the manufacturer should fix it, period. Maybe he measured you wrong? Maybe he wrote the wrong numbers on the order sheet? Maybe somebody at the factory made a mistake somewhere along the way and used the wrong numbers? Who knows, but if the vendor's rep measured you and the numbers he provided match the end product and it is off as much as you say, then there's clearly a problem on their end of the transaction and they need to fix it.

Forum Member

custom fitted gear is just that:
    It needs to fit properly for it to be effective and for you to be able to function properly while wearing it.
    If the sales rep measured you ,then he made a mistake.
    Our last set of gear they brought an assortment of sizes for us to try on. I explained that I needed a "long or tall" size due to arm length. They sent me a coat 2 sizes larger to get a longer sleeve. I sent it back with explicit directions on what I needed. They sent back a coat one size larger with standard length sleeves.
    FAIL

After calling the manufacturer direct We agreed that the next time I was in their town [ go by the plant several times a month] , I could stop in and be measured by their folks for a proper fit.
    What I got was a coat that fit perfectly with enough sleeve length for me to be able to move without binding and no extra girth in the body of the coat.
    It can be done . Stand your ground as your dept is spending a lot of money for proper custom gear.
    Different case if your dept bought off the shelf gear ready made for quick delivery.

PS. My wife is 5'5 and under 130 lbs Her gear fits very well except that there's some extra room in the seat area
    Last edited by islandfire03; 09-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    except that there's some extra room in the seat area
    I would imagine that could be considered a good thing... ;-)

Based on the OP, it sounds like the fitter had an attitude ("I know what I'm doing. How dare you question me?") The resulting product is obviously junk, at least for the OP.

Last time we were fitted, the rep had samples for the most common sizes. We could try them on and see how they fit and adjust accordingly. That isn't really possible for all of the "fringe" sizes (really small, really big, tall, etc), but it should give one an idea of where they need to go.

Thread Information