Forum Member

Post Two EMTs and two paramedics have been suspended without pay.

What up with the care or lack of care.I sure police controlled the scene.Who made the EMS response NYFD or some other EMS Service.EMS seemed to be in slow motion due to the fact the subject was under arrest.EMS appeared SLOW to step up and take control of patient care.This type call can be confusing at best due to poor communications between agencies.

Confronted by police trying to arrest him for allegedly selling illegal cigarettes, Eric Garner raised both hands in the air and, with passive defiance, told the officers not to touch him. Seconds later, a video shows the officer behind him grab the 350-pound man in a chokehold and pull him to the sidewalk, rolling him onto his stomach.

"I can't breathe! I can't breathe!" Garner said repeatedly, his cries muffled into the pavement.

The video of the Thursday skirmish shows the Staten Island man lying on the ground motionless after the incident. An asthmatic, Garner was later declared dead at a nearby hospital, according to CNN affiliate WCBS. Police said he suffered a heart attack and died en route to the hospital.

People participate in a demonstration against the death of Eric Garner after he was taken into police custody in Staten Island. Joel Graham photographed the demonstration, and captured this image of Garner's friends and family rallying alongside the Rev. Al Sharpton. Crowds of people rally in Upper Manhattan on Saturday. While photographing the demonstration, Graham says, he saw a New York Police Department presence at the event. "The NYPD appeared genuinely sympathetic to the marchers, giving everyone wide latitude to voice their frustrations," he said. Garner's mother, Gwen Carr, speaks at the demonstration. Garner's family, friends and people from the Staten Island community gathered to demand a full investigation into the incident.
    Chokehold victim's family and friends protest "This is a terrible tragedy that occurred yesterday. A terrible tragedy that no family should have to experience," said New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, calling the video of the incident "very troubling."

Police told WCBS that 43-year-old Garner, a father of six, had a lengthy criminal history and had been previously arrested for selling untaxed cigarettes in May.

Officer Daniel Pantaleo, who is seen on video choking Garner, was put on modified assignment and stripped of his shield and gun as the New York Police Department continues to investigate the incident, WCBS reported. The chokehold tactic is prohibited by the NYPD.

Two EMTs and two paramedics have been suspended without pay, Erika Hellstrom, vice president of development at Richmond University Medical Center, said in an e-mail.In a statement, Patrolmen's Benevolent Association President Patrick J. Lynch called Pantaleo's reassignment "a completely unwarranted, kneejerk reaction for political reasons." He said the move "effectively pre-judges this case and denies the officer the very benefit of a doubt that has long been part of the social contract that allows police officers to face the risks of this difficult and complex job."
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

What is NYFD? Never heard of it??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Your so sharp.Glad you caught that.Was it FDNY EMS unit or some other New York EMS service????
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    Your so sharp.Glad you caught that.Was it FDNY EMS unit or some other New York EMS service????
    I believe I saw somewhere that it was a hospital based EMS unit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    I believe I saw somewhere that it was a hospital based EMS unit.
    It was a hospital based unit, not FDNY.

And it all could have been so easily avoided if the subject had not resisted arrest.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information