• 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By Drax

Thread: calling all background investigators... Looking for specifics:

Forum Member

Default calling all background investigators... Looking for specifics:

So I just cleared my initial background check from a local department. I included everything on my local and federal criminal history, my DD 214, they've talked to all my personal and professional references, I have a good driving history and credit. I'm not sure what they mean by the initial background investigation though. What more could they be looking for? What pieces am I missing? I want to know what they know. I just don't want to be hosed by some loose end that I didn't know was there.

Cheers!

Forum Member

they may not run drivers lic, criminal history, go out looking for stuff, till they get down to the people they think they want to hire.

we do some preliminary stuff and more in depth once we have the short list of who we may hire,

If you are clean do not worry about it.

kind of why waste a lot of time looking at 100 people when the list may be ten and hire five from that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

kind of why waste a lot of time looking at 100 people when the list may be ten and hire five from that
    This is where I'm at. What is this "stuff" they might go out looking for? This seems like the one part of the hiring process that I can't control so, I'm thinking, if there is some part of my background that I haven't considered, perhaps I could be proactive in eliminating or clarifying any red flags that may present to an investigator.

Forum Member

Would say the two I see is when drivers lic history is run, tickets or wrecks people forget about show up, that are not declared,

Not sure what state you are in but you normally can request your own history
    Run yourself

Similar is we go to city and county police and courts

We ask for "any" contact , witness, contact non criminal, other

Sometimes we get some interesting stuff, like the guy who stole a restaurants recipes but to arrest was made

Or a person is a witness to something or had their house broke into

There are some interesting stories sometimes.

So same thing go run yourself at the police and courts where you have lived or maybe in a city you have worked in for awhile

Forum Member

Also I like to check the codes on the 214 to see if a person is telling the truth

You have to find the ones for the branch you were in

http://www.dd214.us/reference/SPN_Codes.pdf

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor...blcodemenu.htm

Forum Member

fire49,

Good deal. I have copies of FBI, CBI, local PD arrest and driving records from all states/cities lived in, clean DD 214 (my NJP doesn't show up on it but I admitted it anyway), and a current credit report showing good standings in all debts. All information from what I just listed was made available to the investigator and I've been entirely forthcoming with the circumstances regarding any negative incidents. Fortunately my references are bad *** and the board was able to look past the dumb stuff I did as a young Marine and are moving me forward.

I'm just paranoid there is some random thing I'm unaware of that might trip up the process.

Similarly, I know I'm in great shape and I've passed an employment physical within the last year and a half, but I'm still nervous they'll find something medically wrong and oust me from the process.

I've just heard stories about guys getting booted and or almost booted for unknown background stuff and random medical reasons.

Thanks for all your input though!

Forum Member

Sounds like you are in good shape and have done your homework

I think there is the short and long dd214

You might request a full 214 showing the codes in case in the future someone asks for it

Cutting people sometimes depends on a depts process and also how many apply to how many hiring

If a dept has say 2000 apps, they can use a bigger knife when cutting through the apps to dump people

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Sounds like you are in good shape and have done your homework

I think there is the short and long dd214

You might request a full 214 showing the codes in case in the future someone asks for it
    You're given both when you are discharged. The short doesn't even list your type of discharge, so in most cases you're always giving your full dd214.
    Last edited by Drax; 07-25-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    fire49 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    You're given both when you are discharged. The short doesn't even list your type of discharge, so in most cases you're always giving your full dd214.
    Thanks been awhile, I got both, did not know what they do now, but have been seeing the ones with the code

Thread Information