Thread: Weekly Drills

Forum Member

Default Weekly Drills

Hey everybody, So at my volunteer house we have a weekly drill. But, the drills have been slacking. Its more of, lets go hit a hydrant and flow water, yes i know its great practice but, we are also a truck company. Our drills have been like this for about 6 months now and people stopped showing up. Any tips or drills you guys could pass down to actually learn something from and get the members back to drill? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by acheezum View Post
    Hey everybody, So at my volunteer house we have a weekly drill. But, the drills have been slacking. Its more of, lets go hit a hydrant and flow water, yes i know its great practice but, we are also a truck company. Our drills have been like this for about 6 months now and people stopped showing up. Any tips or drills you guys could pass down to actually learn something from and get the members back to drill? Thanks
    Use your imagination. What haven't you used in awhile? Ask around. Looks at incidents that have happened around you, or scenario's that COULD happen in your area. Ask permission to ladder some of the tougher buildings in your area. And look up ladder drills on this site, Youtube, or similar fire fighting sites.

Forum Member

Props????

How about findinng buildings people are going to tear down or do not mind some firefighter remodeling in and go at it, not burn but search rescue, tangled web, wall breaching, escape, etc.

Forum Member

My old department was similar. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, but the weekly meetings consisted of barbecues and talking about football. I moved one town over to a similar sized VFD in a small town, and the training is at a different level. We do aerial drills, rescue drills using hydraulic jaws on cars at the junkyard, jogs around the block in full turnout gear. It's pretty high speed for a volunteer setup. I echo the above post as well, see if the town or city or county has old abandoned buildings that are being town down and that can be either a) burned or b) used for rapid entry, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are any number of drills here on Firehouse.com, on Firefighterclosecalls.com, and a host of other sites. There was an IFSTA book of drills - it may still be available.

Go on-line and look through what's available. You should be able to plan drills weeks ahead. Most are fairly simple - you won't need hours and hours to set them up, or to run them. And, because they are generally focused on one skill set or evolution, you can keep your crew's attention.

You can probably come up with good weather/bad weather options in the process, too.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Get some 2x4's and a sheet or 2 of plywood and make an obstructed passage wall. I used a 4 foot wide by 4 foot tall section and cut a hole in between 16 inch on center studs 20 inches tall. I have used this wall for obstructed passage training and RIT training. I lay down a piece of carpet 3 or 4 feet wide and put a downed firefighter on one side of the opening and send in the RIT crew to get the firefighter back through the opening. They must stay on the carpet as it defines the wall. They must make sure the downed firefighter stays on air as he is moved through the opening.

Cost of this entire prop? Fore me about 1 bucks for 2 x 4's, about the same for a 10 x 3 foot piece of carpet, and I had the plywood laying around.

I am going to make slots on each side to allow for pieces of drywall to be put in for breaching practice.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Drive around your community and pick 4 different types of buildings.

Then go home. Relax. Chill. Put on the ball game. Maybe even have a cold beverage. Then take out your list and make a list of the skills needed for each of those buildings.

And Bingo! There are the skills you need to drill on. If you can't come up with a drill yourself do a Google search and I'll guarantee you'll find 5 or 10 drills, if not more.

Now that was pretty easy. (In fact, a Caveman could do it ... or even a Truckie)
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Drive around the district and pick a building..go to the back door and discuss how forceable entry would be made. Look for clues where you would make cuts if using a rotary saw..see if the guys can tell you how the door is secured by what type bolts they see on the outside of the door.

Talk about shutting off utilities, see if they can even find them and how they are going to do it..make a chain saw out of PVC pipe and put a large piece of chalk on the end and do some roof ops..

Black the face piece out of two members and practice buddy breathing..see if they can do it by feel. Lots of stuff to do.

Thread Information