Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FyredUp
  • 1 Post By HuntPA
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: Your definition of Brotherhood

Default Your definition of Brotherhood

Recently I wrote an article titled "Erosion of the Brotherhood" which has taken on a life of its own and generated several discussions. So as the author of that article out of curiosity and personal knowledge, in no more than two paragraphs or less, define "Brotherhood" as it means to you.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Being there ALL the time for your Brother's and Sister's in the fire service. Not just in times of trouble and sadness. Not just in a dress uniform at their funeral. BUT ALL THE TIME. Sharing their joys and helping them even when they don't ask, on and off the job.
    slackjawedyokel and FF-Andy like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Tight community. Not the area you live in, but the "Andy Griffith Show" type of community where everyone knows everyone; there family situation, their goals, their strengths, and their weaknesses. It is the type of community where, without asking, help is given, support is offered, and when necessary a slap upside the head.

Where it is different than community is where the shared experience of high stress - emergency situations forms a bond tighter than most others. It is a "family" of sorts where to the outside world the first action is to defend your family, but there are always going to be differences and disagreements as well. But at the end of the day, these are the people that share a passion, drive, and commitment for a cause greater than any of us.
    FF-Andy likes this.

Forum Member

Brotherhood is a pay-it-forward circle where men give to each other with no expectation of anything in return. Brotherhood is an impossible math equation as the more you give, the more you receive.
    Last edited by FF-Andy; 07-26-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Forum Member

Back in the early 1990's, I had to take a friend up to Newark NJ Airport and drop him off. Another firefighter friend of mine joined for the ride. On our way back, we "detoured" across the GW bridge, and buffed the Bronx a bit. I remembered E88 and L38, and we decided to stop in with the intention of buying a T shirt. We knocked on the door, and the watchman answered. We introduced ourselves as buffs from Phhiladelphia, to which he replied "No sh*t?? c'mon in!!!!" We walked in, and immediately he got a call from the rear of the apparatus floor...."Hey so-and-so, Chow's ready!!!" He excused himself and said he'd be back in a second when he fixed himself a plate. A second later, he came back- "Do you guys want to eat?? There's plenty??" Myself and my friend went back to the kitchen, where each and every man introduced himself and shook our hands. The night before, they had a retirement party, and were having leftover ham, potatoes, and other party fixings. There was plenty of ham, but not enough potatoes. Each man took 1 or 2 potatoes off his plate and put them on ours. We ate like kings. Midway through the meal, the beee booop went off (sorry, you need to know FDNY to understand THAT) and the call..."Engine only!" The engine guys got up, the engine officer looked at us, and said "who wants to go? I can only take one." My friend enjoyed his first and wide-eyed ride with FDNY. A few minutes later, the beee booop went off again...."Get out TRUCK!" The truck officer looked at me and said "Lets go, Philly!" We came back a while later, finished dinner, and tried to pay for our share, almost causing a riot. I picked up a sponge when no one was looking, and started wiping the table. I received a chastising. My friend started sweeping, and he was verbally assaulted as well. We hung for a while, got shirts, and started to say farewell, and were met with the question- "What? You guys aren't staying the night"? We were dumbfounded to say the least. We werent prepared to stay (no toiletries or anything...) but needless to say, we went home the next morning smelling like two 10-75's and an all-hands job!!!!

When you walk into a firehouse not knowing a soul, and less than 5 minutes later you are sitting at the table with someone setting a plate and a knife/fork in front of you- thats brotherhood.
    FireMedic0227 likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

My experience was that those who outwardly spoke most about the "brotherhood" were the least brotherhood or team oriented.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    My experience was that those who outwardly spoke most about the "brotherhood" were the least brotherhood or team oriented.
    Sadly that is true in many cases.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Back in the early 1990's, I had to take a friend up to Newark NJ Airport and drop him off. Another firefighter friend of mine joined for the ride. On our way back, we "detoured" across the GW bridge, and buffed the Bronx a bit. I remembered E88 and L38, and we decided to stop in with the intention of buying a T shirt. We knocked on the door, and the watchman answered. We introduced ourselves as buffs from Phhiladelphia, to which he replied "No sh*t?? c'mon in!!!!" We walked in, and immediately he got a call from the rear of the apparatus floor...."Hey so-and-so, Chow's ready!!!" He excused himself and said he'd be back in a second when he fixed himself a plate. A second later, he came back- "Do you guys want to eat?? There's plenty??" Myself and my friend went back to the kitchen, where each and every man introduced himself and shook our hands. The night before, they had a retirement party, and were having leftover ham, potatoes, and other party fixings. There was plenty of ham, but not enough potatoes. Each man took 1 or 2 potatoes off his plate and put them on ours. We ate like kings. Midway through the meal, the beee booop went off (sorry, you need to know FDNY to understand THAT) and the call..."Engine only!" The engine guys got up, the engine officer looked at us, and said "who wants to go? I can only take one." My friend enjoyed his first and wide-eyed ride with FDNY. A few minutes later, the beee booop went off again...."Get out TRUCK!" The truck officer looked at me and said "Lets go, Philly!" We came back a while later, finished dinner, and tried to pay for our share, almost causing a riot. I picked up a sponge when no one was looking, and started wiping the table. I received a chastising. My friend started sweeping, and he was verbally assaulted as well. We hung for a while, got shirts, and started to say farewell, and were met with the question- "What? You guys aren't staying the night"? We were dumbfounded to say the least. We werent prepared to stay (no toiletries or anything...) but needless to say, we went home the next morning smelling like two 10-75's and an all-hands job!!!!

When you walk into a firehouse not knowing a soul, and less than 5 minutes later you are sitting at the table with someone setting a plate and a knife/fork in front of you- thats brotherhood.
    Many an FDNY house will treat you the same way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I also agree.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    Many an FDNY house will treat you the same way.
    Concur 100%. I have buffed many, many FDNY houses (at one time I was keeping a list with the intent of stopping in at each and every firehouse in all 5 boroughs....) and never, not once ever got a bad reception. Some were better than others but none were bad. Ever. After the above I became a regular buff at 88/38 for the better part of 10 years. Myself and a buddy had it down to a science- we would leave the Philly area around 6pm on Friday night, spend the night at Newark NJ Rescue 1, and then in the morning, shoot over to the City, buff around, and then Sat ride with 88/38 for the 6x9. Good times.

Forum Member

Colorado firefighter here...what this word "buff" you guys are throwing around? i.e., "...buffs from Philadelphia," or "...buffed many FDNY houses..." It sounds like it's fire specific for visiting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Bourbonstreet View Post
    Colorado firefighter here...what this word "buff" you guys are throwing around? i.e., "...buffs from Philadelphia," or "...buffed many FDNY houses..." It sounds like it's fire specific for visiting.
    A buff is someone who is super into firefighting. Someone who's hobby is the world of fire fighting. Could be a firefighter or not. The term is not always complementary.

Forum Member

A buff is someone who is super into firefighting. Someone who's hobby is the world of fire fighting. Could be a firefighter or not. The term is not always complementary.
    Sports buff, train buff....same thing. I wouldn't say all buffs are "super into firefighting" but many are.

Forum Member

Same answers. Ancient history. Things MAY have changed today. Forty years ago we would help any other fireman any time, including guys from "that other agency". Baby sit last minute, move furniture, hospital watches, shift trading, class time trading buddies, shared vacations, team sports, events, dates, outings, bar hopping, etc..

Once at old Engine 6 we rolled on a NY state rental motor home with a severely overheated engine. Needed a new water pump, hoses and stuff. We fed up good and put up the Syracuse NY firefighter and his 2 sons in the dorm overnight. We fixed the rental RV for $free$. Used the shops. So long ago and far away. HB of CJ (old coot)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sports buff, train buff....same thing. I wouldn't say all buffs are "super into firefighting" but many are.
    IMO, a buff is "super" into it.

P.S. You sir, are a buff.

Forum Member

P.S. You sir, are a buff.
    Absolutely, no arguments here. Although not as much as I used to be. Between ages of 19-23 when I got hired, there were very few weekends in the winter months when I was not riding in one of the 5 boroughs, Philly, Camden, Newark or Baltimore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HBofCJ View Post
    Once at old Engine 6 we rolled on a NY state rental motor home with a severely overheated engine. Needed a new water pump, hoses and stuff. We fed up good and put up the Syracuse NY firefighter and his 2 sons in the dorm overnight. We fixed the rental RV for $free$. Used the shops. So long ago and far away. HB of CJ (old coot)
    City of Bethlehem, Pa. Engine 6 changed a flat tire on my wife's van about 3 years ago. She was a visiting nurse and parked down the block from their house, came out of a pt's house to find the flat. Was panicked because I was out of town, it was raining cats and dogs, and she still had a full schedule of patients to see. Along comes E6 returning to quarters, sees the IAFF plate, and handles the matter. The boys got a package later that week from Omaha Steaks.

Thread Information