Forum Member

Default Fire Academy vs Fire Science Degree

New commer here to this website, and I've never had any experience fire fighting before. I'am currently on my last year in the Marine Corps and I plan on becoming a firefighter. The only problem is that I'm not sure as to what or how to get started. I've been researching and I've seen that if you want to excel in the firefighting ranks, you should get a bachelor fire science degree? Is this true? Because I honestly hated school and wouldn't have to deal with liberal hippies in college. Instead I was thinking of going to an Academy with my GI BILL such as TEEX Fire Academy in College station TX (from what I've read they have a great reputation) anyone know how reputable they are? Any help would be appreciated. If going to school is necessary to become a successful firefighter I'll definitely do it. But if it's also possible to just skip school for 4+ years and get into fire fighting, I'm also up for that. I plan on making fire fighting life long career. Appreciate the help boys
    -Tony

Forum Member

What state do you want to work in????

Forum Member

You don't need a degree to get hired at most departments. Some may require a degree for promotion to officer, but you'd have time before that happens, and most only require it for Battalion Chief or higher. Many larger depts. have their own fire acadamy that they train you at. I'd start applying at any dept. that's hiring. You can start school (I'd just start with the basic courses, English 101, etc., that way if you get hired somewhere you can find a fire school somewhere and transfer credits) A Paramedic card would be useful a lot of places as well. And I'd try to apply at as many places as possible, even if you really don't want to work there, it will give you experience at taking the tests.

Good luck.

Forum Member

I plan on working in either Washington state, Alaska, or Colorado (in order of most desirable) so it really just depends on what the station prefers? I plan on sticking to firefighting as a career, so if I did want to become a fire officer I would need a degree such As fire science? I appreciate the feedback so far.

Forum Member

You need to check each state and cities in those states to see what the minimum requirement is just to apply.

Most cities do not require college hours, some are starting to.

Than the problem of reciprocity , some states/cities do not like to play with others.

Than the problem if you are trying to test in two or three states, travel costs , time for all the testing and interviews

Just a few things to think about

If you are looking for fairly quick certification with minimum class time check this place next to Fort Worth

Book work done online with two weeks on campus

http://www.trainingdivision.com/fire...ghter-academy/

Once you get hired than get a four year degree, at lot of good online degrees and some cities will pay for tuition

Forum Member

Like what has already been said you need to check with those states and cities to see how they do it.

I only know my state NY, here you apply to take the civil service test for the city you want to work for.
    Score high ,then comes background ,physicals etc. If you get hired then you go to that cities academy .

No college required . But you also have to know about residencey ,you may have to live there before you can even take the test.

Military service gets you points on our test,and war time service even more.

I would check into those states and see which one,has the most need for Ff and the testing hiring process that would be geared to your liking and best chance.

For instance maybe move to a state that requires residency. Then also,test in the ones that don't .

Good luck!

Forum Member

Thank you for the feedback

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Honestly, for the small to medium sized career FDs around here FF1 and then Paramedic are more of a guarantee of getting hired than anything else.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

In Washington I would recomend going to the Washington Sate Patrol Fire Training Academy in North Bend Washington. After completion of the Academy I would get your EMT basic. That would make you eligible for most of the departments in the state. I would then start working on the college degree as time allows.

SVV
    Forum Member

I was hired without any prior fire related training or fire related knowledge. I did have a couple of those "liberal, hippie" degrees and I'm sure it didn't hurt my chances.
    My understanding is that most career departments will pay for your academy training once hired, and to echo what has already been stated, apply to all departments hiring.
    A fire science degree would undoubtedly help your chances, and I'd like to express that you shouldn't let your preconceived prejudices of what college is like keep you from attending.
    Good luck dude.

Thread Information