Forum Member

Question Having a GED & how it Affects Employment

Many people in this day and age are opting out of a high school diploma and getting a GED instead, some out of laziness and a lack of will and others out of initiative. My question for this forum would be this; If I had a GED high school equivalency instead of a high school diploma would the certification hinder my employment opportunities at a fire dept? My next question would be this; Lets say I had a GED certificate, however, I also had a year of experience volunteering in a fire dept and a college degree in fire science including certifications like: Fire I, Fire II, EMT, paramedic and hazmat ops. Would this look better to an employer than a simple high school diploma?
    Last edited by Wandering Walrus; 07-29-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Member

Any personal improvement looks good.

You asked a question with a few variables.

GED only , two answers depends on the dept itself if they will accept it.

You can look at different dept web sites and see what they require.

GED only might hurt if you are required to take say emt through a college and have to meet college requirements

Forum Member

What state are you in??

Forum Member

I have a GED and it has never hindered my ability to get a job or has been mentioned by potential employers. Since I was 18 (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....I will be 41 this November....) I have only held three major full time jobs- one as a heavy truck apprentice mechanic, one for the Department of Defense as a Federal Firefighter, and one with my current employer as a municipal Code Official/Fire Marshal/Emergency Management Coordinator. I have also worked part time as a safety technician in the petroleum refining/petrochemical industry in and around Philadelphia....Again GED was never mentioned or brought up. All of these jobs (especially with the DoD) required security clearances with extensive background investigations- I know that they knew about it, its not like it slipped through the crack.

That being said- if you are currently in High School, do not drop out just because someone whispered in your ear that the grass is greener on this side- it may be greener but thats only because the cesspool of "real adult life" is over here. If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed in school and graduated with a true diploma.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

In the case of my combo department, a high school diploma, not a GED, is required to be considered for employment, regardless of past volunteer experience.

Can't speak for any other departments in my area.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Walrus View Post
    Many people in this day and age are opting out of a high school diploma and getting a GED instead, some out of laziness and a lack of will and others out of initiative. My question for this forum would be this; If I had a GED high school equivalency instead of a high school diploma would the certification hinder my employment opportunities at a fire dept?
    Many people are opting for a GED instead of a diploma? Many!?! We haven't seen a large uptick of GED recipients among our applicants... and from what I've read, the number of high school drop-outs is actually on the decline over the past decade.

As for employment, it's only one piece of the puzzle. Our minimum age is 21, so we expect to see applicants who have done something in the (minimum of) three years between high school graduation and applying with us. If that something is military service, additional education and/or steady employment, they have a chance with us whether they earned a GED or a high school diploma.

Thread Information