Forum Member

Default 2016-2017 FDNY Exam FAQ Thread

Hey guys, I recently have started researching and started preparation for taking the next FDNY test (open competitive and EMS). I know there is the Exam 2000 thread but that is mostly of people who have taken the 2012 test and this thread is for that next group who are going to take the 2016 or 2017 test. You can post what your game plan is from now until the exam as well as your plans after it, you can post if you have any advice for others or questions between. If the guys who took the #2000 exam would want to pitch in any advice it would greatly help us all! I don't know how many guys like me are on this site but thought I would try to find em.

I myself am about to turn 20 Years old and am covering all the bases I possibly can because honestly, there is nothing I want to do other than to get this job and I know the day I walk across the stage graduating probie school will be the greatest day of my life as well as many of you guys too. I know I have the dedication to make it, I just need the patience and a little bit of guidance.

I am getting my EMT-B certification (EMS Requirement) along with the 15 college credit hours (Open Competitive requirement) this semester and will start saving up to move to the city next summer. That way I can get the 5 extra residency points in time for the test. Hopefully NY will accept my EMT reciprication from Alabama to New York City. As soon as I get my EMT B valid in NYC, ill be calling FDNY EMS to put my name on the list for the test and wait the however many years or so it takes for them to call. Then I will go ahead and go forward with EMS while waiting for any word on the next open competitive test. If I do manage to get onto EMS, I will do it until the competitive test and take that. Ive been studying for a while now and will try my best to get a perfect 100% with the 5% residency points. (Easier said than done..) that should put me somewhere on top of the list if I am fortunate enough. In the arduous wait for the call, Ill continue doing EMS while trying to do all the steps to prepare for my plan B, EMS promotional exam. I know that that is the easiest way to get on the job these days, but I want to do both routes to double my chances. If I don't make it in the open competitive exam, I will stick with EMS for as long as I need to to get the promotional and get into the Fire Department.

Trust me, I know its going to be a long road.

I have a few questions of my own:

1. Does anyone know which year they are planning for the next test? I know they are still running probie school from the last exam and will be for a while. Someone told me next year, someone else told me 2017. Either way I am fine with it. I'm moving to the city next summer and if the test is in 2017, that will give me the time to get the very important residency credits.

2. Another conflicting report I got was about the residency credits. Do you need to live in the city for 1 or 2 years. The exam notice for #2000 says July 1st 2010 - June 30th 2011, while I spoke to a probie at a company in Brooklyn who said it was 2 years. Just want to be sure.

Id like to hear other guys plans and if they have any advice.
    Last edited by FDNYBuff222; 07-25-2014 at 11:44 PM.

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

There are a lot of questions in that post man. If your interested, PM me and maybe chatting on the phone would be better. I took the 2012 test. I got a 95 with no residency credit. That score was unfortunately out of hiring range, but with residency credit would have been well within hiring range (still painful to think about haha). I went through the entire process with EMS, and am now just waiting on the call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    There are a lot of questions in that post man. If your interested, PM me and maybe chatting on the phone would be better. I took the 2012 test. I got a 95 with no residency credit. That score was unfortunately out of hiring range, but with residency credit would have been well within hiring range (still painful to think about haha). I went through the entire process with EMS, and am now just waiting on the call.
    Sure man ill PM you and we can speak on the phone sometime, the best advice is from those who have gone through it, and yeah man that sucks. Really I feel like the competitive is impossible without any extra credit points.

Forum Member

I'm not sure exactly what gives you the idea the test will be given in 2017. NYS civil service law states an eligibility list can last for no longer than 4 years. The current list was established in 2012, the test before that in 2008. This next test will be 2016, or the FDNY will have no list to hire firefighters from until a new one is established. Which means that if the test is given in 2016, the announcement will be in fall of 2015, so you would need to establish residency this fall to qualify for extra points.

If you believe it will only take "a year or so" to get called by EMS prepare to be disappointed. Everyone knows the only way to become an FDNY firefighter is to go through EMS, thousands of people sign up for EMS and it can take years if you ever do get called.

Do what you want with your life, but personally I think moving across the country for five extra points on a test is crazy. You're going to live by yourself in one of the the most expensive cities in the country so that hopefully you will get extra points possibly giving yourself a chance at a job. It's a huge risk with no guarantee that I wouldn't suggest to anyone, but go ahead it is your life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by somebuffyguy View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what gives you the idea the test will be given in 2017. NYS civil service law states an eligibility list can last for no longer than 4 years. The current list was established in 2012, the test before that in 2008. This next test will be 2016, or the FDNY will have no list to hire firefighters from until a new one is established. Which means that if the test is given in 2016, the announcement will be in fall of 2015, so you would need to establish residency this fall to qualify for extra points.

If you believe it will only take "a year or so" to get called by EMS prepare to be disappointed. Everyone knows the only way to become an FDNY firefighter is to go through EMS, thousands of people sign up for EMS and it can take years if you ever do get called.

Do what you want with your life, but personally I think moving across the country for five extra points on a test is crazy. You're going to live by yourself in one of the the most expensive cities in the country so that hopefully you will get extra points possibly giving yourself a chance at a job. It's a huge risk with no guarantee that I wouldn't suggest to anyone, but go ahead it is your life.
    Well I was thinking it would be sometime in late 2015 or early 2016. My friend who went to his dad's promotion to FDNY captain this past week told me that " I talked to two battalion commanders yesterday and the Brooklyn borough commanders and they say 2017." As I said in the first post, I was asking if anyone knew possibly what year the test was going to be given. I never had any assumptions or clues.

Well thank you for clarifying the time frame for EMS. That helps me. The main reason I am moving is for the points, which you are right, is crazy. But Im willing to do crazy things for what I really want. Which I assumed, anyone who really wants this job will do the same. I will have roommates, of course, which means I won't be blowing twelve hundred dollars on rent each month. I am also a developer working on a big project that is centered in New York City, so that is another motive for me to move. The project will and if not already has fund/funded me to live their in the duration that I am waiting. If things don't look like they're moving along in the first year or two, it was a risk I was willing to take and I will move to somewhere much less expensive or back home.
    Last edited by FDNYBuff222; 07-25-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Forum Member

Also if anyone could help me out with the best techniques to start getting ready physically. I attended a military academy for 4 years as high school and would say I am in decent shape. But if anyone knows a good diet to gain some weight and muscle as well as excersizing techniques to get ready for the CPAT and the academy, id appreciate it.

Forum Member

FDNYbuff.. this is what you need to do-- come to nyc, take the open competitive exam and maybe you will get a good score.. Get a NY EMT cert and apply to fdny ems. You will be on the ems by the next exam in 2021 or watever and you will be a firefighter for sure.

Me: I am planning on taking the next open competitive exam too. I will also try to be fdny emt before the next exam but im not sure how possible that is... I hope the next firefighter exam get delayed to the max and isnt until 2017/2018!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    FDNYbuff.. this is what you need to do-- come to nyc, take the open competitive exam and maybe you will get a good score.. Get a NY EMT cert and apply to fdny ems. You will be on the ems by the next exam in 2021 or watever and you will be a firefighter for sure.

Me: I am planning on taking the next open competitive exam too. I will also try to be fdny emt before the next exam but im not sure how possible that is... I hope the next firefighter exam get delayed to the max and isnt until 2017/2018!
    Same plan, I want to have both options to rely on in case one doesn't work out.

Forum Member

just out of curiosity, what does the written test consist of?

Forum Member

Everyone knows the only way to become an FDNY firefighter is to go through EMS...

Well that is just simply not true. At least 4000+ people on any given OC exam will generally have the shot at the job. It can just take a while for some.

Forum Member

The current list was established in 2012,

The test was given in 2012, but it was not established until in 2013 shortly before they started class 2013-02. If I'm not mistaken the list is set to expire in June 2017. This still means that they'd probably have to give the next exam in 2016 in order to score it and then start prepping candidates in early-mid 2017 in order to hire a class in late 2017.

FDNYBuff222: I'm not going to try to dissuade you, but you should try and spend some time hanging out in NYC for more than a few days. You want to move across the country and start fresh in a city that's pretty different from almost anywhere else in the country. I've met plenty of people over the years that moved here to spend their 20s in NYC and loved the city, yet still got tired of it and moved away after a couple years. If you succeed and get hired you're going to be spending your adult life here. NYC is fun to visit, but different to live in. I moved here at 21, and didn't know anyone. I was lucky though in that home is less than 200 miles away. The hardest part about the whole process, in my mind, is the sacrifice you make to come here and start over, while waiting years and years to get your chance. It obviously can be done, but it's not for everybody.

Forum Member

MM is the promotional exam something that you would consider to always be around ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RDiesel View Post
    MM is the promotional exam something that you would consider to always be around ?
    Yes. The only debate is whether or not they'll end up offering it more often again or stick to having it every 4 years with the OC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Yes. The only debate is whether or not they'll end up offering it more often again or stick to having it every 4 years with the OC.
    Thanks for the info. As you know the feeling very well, I'm just looking for some light at the end of this tunnel lol.

Thread Information