Forum Member

Default Why do you want to become a firefighter?

I have had a bunch of emails asking me the best way to answer this question. It's important to remember that there is no single way to answer a question. This is my advice to candidates:

Why do you want to become a firefighter?
    DO NOT start off with a story! It's important to understand that when I am conducting interviews, I speak to 12 – 15 people every day. I DO NOT want to hear your signature story.

Your answer should begin with: The reasons why I want to become a firefighter are…………
    If it involves telling a story you need to rework your answer!

The reasons why I want to become a firefighter are:
    I really like to help people- I work now as an EMT and I really enjoy somebody holding my hand and looking me in the eye and saying thank you. You made a difference in my life. This means a lot to me.

I like the excitement of the job. I like the fact that I can be cleaning the station and the bells go off and I can be fighting a fire, working on getting someone out of a car, a hazardous materials spill, or a medical aid. I like the fact that every day is different.

I like the teamwork that exists in the fire service. Everyone works together toward a common goal. I like the fact that the crews are very tight. It’s not uncommon for a crew to vacation together with their families. I really like the friendships that are made in the fire service.

I like the fact that the pay will allow me to reach my goal of getting married and buying a house one day.

The time off will allow me to continue my education and to coach my kids in little league.

I like the fact that my position in the fire department is controlled by my own initiative and hard work. If I earn the respect of the men and women of this department I could promote to engineer one day, and who knows, maybe even a Captain.

I like the fact that if I don’t know how to do something on a call, there is someone there that has seen and done it before. The knowledge and experience of the firefighters is amazing!

So, these are just a few of the reasons I want to become a firefighter.

You may get people who will tell you, “Do not tell them that you want to help people.” I disagree with this advice. I really like helping people. That’s why I got into this business. Having a job where you can do what you really like to do and to get paid and be able to support your family is a great recipe for job satisfaction.

It's up to you to personalize your reasons. Once you have taken the time to sit down and think about it, complete the answer by qualifying it. What I mean by this is to explain why this is important to you. You will notice that I elaborated on all of my answers. I didn't just read a list of reasons.
    Last edited by paulLepore; 08-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information