Forum Member

Default Air Force not supporting EMT anymore? Haz-Mat?

Here is the current situation on Friday the 1st of August we were told to fill out some paperwork to justify us keeping our EMTS. We currently have sixteen EMTs we are being told the Air Force is only going to let us operate with 4 total the rest will only be able to operate as EMRS. The issues I see here are first the positions GS-7 and GS-8 are based on having EMT so is a downgrade coming to those that cannot operate with EMT? Second those that can operate only as EMR but still hold EMT can they be found liable if they did not perform at their trained level of EMT and a court case for wrongful death is filed? Are there any other bases experiencing this? What are you doing to make sure it doesn’t happen and if it does have minimal impact on the firefighters and the base? We have also been told HAZ-MAT tech may go away. Thank you

Forum Member

Got to love the Feds and congress

Good luck with both

One a shift with one back up??? Guess that cuts down when you can take vacation???

You have to justify your job,

Forum Member

Assuming you are DoD Civilian, are your firefighters represented by a Union (IAFF/AFGE etc...)

WHO told you to fill out this paperwork? The fire chief? The Fire Chief as directed by Civilian Personnel of that Facility? The Fire Chief as directed by Civilian Personnel as directed by the Command of the Facility?

This sounds like some Fire Chief's wet dream internal attempt to save money by elimination of a JPR that is required DOD-WIDE. I would return the paperwork (uncompleted) with a letter from the Union that basically says "yeah thanks but no thanks; until we see a memo from Washington stating that the JPR is eliminated and also that we are protected from lawsuit for failure to perform should the need ever arise. Oh and by the way further attempts at this will result in the immediate filing of a ULP for failure to perform I & I bargaining as required by contract."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default Air force instruction 32-2001 27 february 2014

We are DOD civilians. AFGE it was sent down by the medical director. The new AFI it was updated on 27 February 2014. Now we have to justify having EMTS. Since its an AFI sounds like there isnt much we can do about it.

2.1.1. Core Services.
    2.1.2. Non-Core Services.
    2.4. Emergency Response Capability (ERC).The ERC assumes that only one major emergency incident will occur at a time.

3.5.6.1. The FES flight’s primary role in the EMS program is to respond to medical emergencies and provide patient care at the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) level.

http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/pr...afi32-2001.pdf

Forum Member

I don't give a rats *** if the Pentagon is involved or not- If there is the potential for a downgrade in pay, they have to do I & I bargaining- your AFGE rep should know this and if not you need a new AFGE rep!!! (assuming it's not someone in a Machine Shop or in some other office or activity on the base that is not a firefighter.)

If you are going to lose pay, FIGHT! Start filing ULP's!! If Overtime is going to be forced to maintain minimum staffing of EMT's, FIGHT! Start filing ULP's!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information