Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BC79er

Thread: Can a department make AFG application for more than one apparatus?

Forum Member

Default Can a department make AFG application for more than one apparatus?

I have been away from the AFG grant world for a few years and have a couple questions. The first one is... can a department make an AFG application for a pumper apparatus and a regional application for an aerial all in the same program year?

I moved to a new town and their fire department is aware that I have had grants awarded in the past and are begging me to help them. Their truck acquisition committee just called me and believed that they can submit two different applications for a vehicle. I explained that in the past that I was certain that a department could not make a regional application for a vehicle.... but I could be mistaken.

Can Kurt, Sly, Catch, onebugle, islandfire and the rest of the guru's elaborate?

Forum Member

Default Multiple Vehicle Applications

Yes, a department can apply for up to two vehicles with a single application. We just received an award for two brush trucks. Previously this year another department was awarded two brush trucks and a third department was awarded a tanker (tender) and a brush truck. You will have to check the guidance for 2014, but it will likely allow an application for up to two vehicles.

As for a regional vehicle, any department can sponsor a regional application for a regional vehicle, independent of their own application for a vehicle(s). Again, you will have to refer to the 2014 guidance when it is available, and/or call the help desk.

The two vehicle rule may also have been in effect for the 2012 grant period.

Forum Member

welcome back JAM:
    Yes as ASST Chief said above. multiples were allowed this year.

Less total funding $$$$ , make vehicle apps that much harder to get approved. Gotta bring the AAAAA+ game to the app tables nowadays.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think your cost benefit would be much better if you were applying for a single vehicle, and I would think there are a ton of issues to consider with a "regional" ladder truck.

Forum Member

Within your individual application you can apply for up to 3 vehicles, either different types or all of the same. Just depends on need, and if it were more than 1 of the same type then it should be for vehicles to go to different stations.

Regional vehicles are going to be allowed for everything but: pumpers, brush/attack, tankers, and ambulances.

Under the regional vehicles you still have to list contact info for everyone that is lending their statistics to your application, but it's still going to be owned/insured/maintained by the applicant. Also required are mutual aid agreements that the vehicle will run calls across that region when available and requested. Many areas have that "city truck/rural truck" political line drawn, and that won't fly with a regional vehicle.

Each application lives in it's own scoring world, so the fact that you put in both an Individual and Regional Vehicle won't get one or the other kicked. In theory both could fund. Same with multiple vehicles in the same application, as others mentioned they can get funded. Or like some Ops apps where parts weren't funded, they could give 1 vehicle but not others.
    jam24ux likes this.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Forum Member

Holy Crap! AFter reading these responses, I almost fell outa my chair. Let me ask another question then. Can a department make a regional application for SCBA's again? AFG used to allow for it and then they ended that process. So, is that true? Can there be regional applications for SCBA's? I swear, being away from the grant world for four years is making my head spin. Making me look like a risk. I told them I would only do this under conditions of taking Kurt's classes again. Thank you to all those that responded and a shout out to my friend Brian and Maine's 'Islandfire'.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24ux View Post
    Holy Crap! AFter reading these responses, I almost fell outa my chair. Let me ask another question then. Can a department make a regional application for SCBA's again? AFG used to allow for it and then they ended that process. So, is that true? Can there be regional applications for SCBA's? I swear, being away from the grant world for four years is making my head spin. Making me look like a risk. I told them I would only do this under conditions of taking Kurt's classes again. Thank you to all those that responded and a shout out to my friend Brian and Maine's 'Islandfire'.
    That is correct.......SCBA are allowed as a regional application.

MembersZone Subscriber

jam suffice it to say that there have been some major changes to AFG just in last 2 years and I am "crystal-balling" that we will be in for more on 2014. As you can see by the responses not only do you need to be up on the changes but, you have to also be cognizant of "priority" shifts which have occurred and don't even think about going for anything unless it has an "H" stamped to it for high priority; it won't make it on a "M" medium priority at all.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information