Thread: Hello all!

Forum Member

Default Hello all!

Hello everyone. My name is Liam and im 23 years old, and from buffalo, ny. My dream and goal my whole entire life is to become a firefighter, as im sure many also have said the same. I am currently a volunteer in a suburb outside of buffalo. Been on the job there for 7 months. My goal is to become a paid member somewhere. I can not take the buffalo exam due to the fact i do not live in the city. AS of right now i do not have any certifications except CPR and first aid, but will be taking NYS EMT starting sept. 3rd. My question is which is the best way to start? I am more than willing to leave the state for my goal. Would it be better to wait till i pass EMT to start applying to these out of state departments, or would it be good to start applying with what i have now?

Alot of people will say that "its my dream" But i will achieve my goal.

Thank you,

Liam. C

Buffalo, NY

Forum Member

For any state or city ,,, you need to find out the minimum requirements just to apply.

As you have already found out one city wants you to live there..

For out of state or anywhere ,,, make sure you also have the time and money to travel, it is not a one day process

Forum Member

Get every certification you can, take every test you qualify for. Look to gain experience by volunteering. Look into the reserves or national guard as many departments will offer veteran's preference points which is a huge advantage. Begin thoroughly researching minimum requirements for every department in your area, then meet those requirements and apply. Do ride alongs where ever you can and gain the invaluable insight from the firefighters you do ride alongs with. Good luck.
    Last edited by Drax; 08-07-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Shawshank

Liam, being a former fellow upstater I know your frustration with city residency. There are a few places in NY that don't require residency. The city of Watertown is one of them and they should be testing soon. You have a great opportunity to gain training and certs from your vol company. Take whatever you can!
    My best advice if you want to pursue a job in NY is to suck it up and move into the city you want to work for. I know Buffalo just tested last fall so it will be some time before they test again. Rochester would be another great place to go after. Syracuse will probably test again in the next year or so.
    If you want to look out of state, Baltimore County is hiring, and my Dept in Norfolk, VA will be testing soon. Good luck to you!
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Thanks guys! Ill be going to school for EMT, starting sept 3rd. Shawshank, i just applied to Balitmore County I fit thos qualifications for probi firefighter. I am willing to do what it takes. I can, and will complete my goal.

Shawshank

Great to hear! Keep up the positive attitude and test wherever you can! Persistence is the key to getting on the job!
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

yes it is! and i just put in a job interest card for your dept! Iv put in like 5 applications to various places, but have heard nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterchfd View Post
    yes it is! and i just put in a job interest card for your dept! Iv put in like 5 applications to various places, but have heard nothing.
    You're going to need to multiply that effort by about 10.

And do you mean like open recruitment applications or something else? You may not hear anything until a period has closed.
    Last edited by Drax; 08-11-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Thread Information