Forum Member

Default 1982 Pierce Arrow generator voltage

Hi everyone - our truck used to have a generator on the driver's side rear compartment that powered the two quartz scene lights and electrical outlets around the truck. The generator plugged in to a 4 prong plug that led to a circuit breaker.

The generator is gone and the truck is no longer used for emergency service.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to tell what voltage is required to power that connection? If it's just 120 volts I might run an extension cord out to that connection with a 4 prong plug to see if I can power the scene lights.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uogecko View Post
    Hi everyone - our truck used to have a generator on the driver's side rear compartment that powered the two quartz scene lights and electrical outlets around the truck. The generator plugged in to a 4 prong plug that led to a circuit breaker.

The generator is gone and the truck is no longer used for emergency service.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to tell what voltage is required to power that connection? If it's just 120 volts I might run an extension cord out to that connection with a 4 prong plug to see if I can power the scene lights.

Thanks
    Check the plug for markings (IE: L5-20) and the breaker box to see how it is wired. It should give you an idea(s) if the lights / outlets were wired for single phase (120v) or (220v) two phase. Odds are they are single phase outlets and lights. The generator 220VAC output was probably supplying the breaker box and that is where it was split to single phase. If you can not figure it out read the truck manual (if available) or get an electrician to take a look.

Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thread Information