Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By William Bourbonstreet

Thread: Thanks...

Forum Member

Default Thanks...

Got a final offer yesterday. I just want to say thanks to everyone that has put their time and energy into this forum. From the active chiefs to my fellow applicants, your advice and discussions here have helped ease the tension of venturing into the uncharted waters of the firefighter hiring process.

Cheers fellas, and good luck!!!

Forum Member

Congrats, William! Even though I don't know you I've been rooting for you through all the travails, like with AFD and everything. Very happy for you.

Forum Member

Congrats!!!!

Not a short process is it?

Forum Member

Congrats brother!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Congrats!!!!

Not a short process is it?
    Thanks! It definitely took longer than expected! A lot of lessons learned but all around a good experience that paid off in the end.

Forum Member

Congrats.. Where did you end up?

Forum Member

I'd rather not say specifically, but a medium sized Denver-metro area, city department, 20-25 minutes from where I currently live, which is Denver.

Forum Member

Congrats, bro! Hardwork pays off! Graduated from my academy earlier this summer after 6 years of testing. Greatest job in the world is an understatement. It's been unreal being on the street. Congrats again on landing it and good luck!

Forum Member

WB. First congratulations! Good luck in the academy. I'm sure you will kill it. Is there any material you really study and relied on when testing and interviewing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irons17 View Post
    WB. First congratulations! Good luck in the academy. I'm sure you will kill it. Is there any material you really study and relied on when testing and interviewing.
    There wasn't one particular source. I had one of those fire test prep books to bone up on some basic math & mechanical aptitude stuff, but everything else was oral board related. My biggest revelation came after reading some old Seattle FD literature regarding oral board prep. The key was to not memorize information, not even a sentence. Trying to do that in the past got me caught up. I relied too heavily on memorization so when I was presented with variations of common questions, or multiple part questions, I wouldn't be able to easily adapt my answer to be relevant. I would go in the direction of my memorized materials and when I realized I was slightly off track, my thought process would be interrupted and I would lose my spot. Anxiety would grab hold and I would sit there like a deer in the headlights, losing points and valuable time at the cyclic. The key for me was to write down very short, couple word phrases, that I could easily remember and apply to a variety of questions. I focused on why I want to be a firefighter, why I would be a good fit for that particular agency, what have I done to prepare for this career, and who I was as a person. I developed a huge list of pertinent "buzz words", basically familiarizing my vocabulary with applicable words that the panel likes to hear that I could readily draw from. I gave much thought to my own experiences in life and how they would relate to potential questions so I had examples on hand if needed, but not a script to stumble over when speaking.

There is much advice on here, as I'm sure you know, and all of it is relevant. But my best advice is to know yourself and the department inside and out, to practice often, and to be persistent. Additionally, if you can get to know or at least speak to someone on the department prior to, it IS an invaluable source of pertinent information that you could use to your advantage. Ahh, and if they say you can walk a PAT or similar fitness test, I suggest instead that you crush it and leave everything out there. Why not?
    fire49 likes this.

Forum Member

Congratulations brother.

Forum Member

Thanks Man. If theres one thing I've learned is you can always take away from someones style of prep. That is some great info. I haven't thought about a vocabulary list before and I'm definitely going to implement that! Do you mind if I ask where you came across the old Seattle Lit? Congratulations again.

Forum Member

Congratz William, all the hard work finally paid off... Welcome to the brotherhood

Thread Information