Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredbear

Thread: Louisville ky 2014

Forum Member

Default Louisville ky 2014

How everyone do on the written exam?

Forum Member

I'm from out of town so I'm taking mine in October on the same day as the PAT. I have to say it's really awesome that they set it up that way for those of us coming from out of state!
    Last edited by Rose; 08-07-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Forum Member

I'm warning you now. The cpat is no joke. It's all stairs!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetroDFF View Post
    I'm warning you now. The cpat is no joke. It's all stairs!!
    Shut up. If that's close to an issue, switch careeres . The average high school badminton bench warmer could pass the CPAT. I hope for the future of the fire service that you're being facetious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Bourbonstreet View Post
    Shut up. If that's close to an issue, switch careeres . The average high school badminton bench warmer could pass the CPAT. I hope for the future of the fire service that you're being facetious.
    The physical agility test for the Louisville FD is not the CPAT you're thinking of. It's pretty rigorous. Also it's timed, not pass/fail, so simply completing the course in the required time is not good enough to get called for an interview.

Good luck to all the applicants taking the test.
    http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...view092412.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jes82 View Post
    The physical agility test for the Louisville FD is not the CPAT you're thinking of. It's pretty rigorous. Also it's timed, not pass/fail, so simply completing the course in the required time is not good enough to get called for an interview.

Good luck to all the applicants taking the test.
    http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...view092412.pdf
    Good. Thanks for the reassurance!

Forum Member

I took the Louisville test in Feb. 2013 as an iut of towner. The written was pretty easy, an ASVAB book from the library was good practice for it. Lime others have said, it is NOT the CPAT.

I would say that it's technically easier to "pass" than the CPAT but again, it's timed and weighted with your written for an overall score so just passing likely isn't good enough. Since you have time to prepare, run run run. Unless it's changed, only the first time up the tower is with a hosepack. You also have a bundle on your shoulders when you go around the cones.

I placed in the top band last test but didn't move on after the interviews. Recently hired by a different department, so it's all good!
    FireTiger91 likes this.

Forum Member

Don't be a clown William. Merely warning people that they need to be better prepared than they would be for the traditional CPAT. Just want to see people succeed. Good luck all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetroDFF View Post
    Don't be a clown William. Merely warning people that they need to be better prepared than they would be for the traditional CPAT. Just want to see people succeed. Good luck all.
    It is reassuring, regarding the future of the fire service, that some departments still place importance on physical ability. It should be factored into the application process everywhere.

Forum Member

For the last test, the written score was 39% of the overall score, the PAT was 61%.

I am not sure how each thing is weighted for the PAT since you do a few small events before the course.

Last time there was no "Band A" on the list. Band B and Band C were both interviewed, a total of 214 possible people for about 40 spots. So also work on your interview stuff for sure, I was in Band B (top 47) and didn't move on. I also met a few others at other tests that were in the same band, and are paramedics, that also didn't move on.

Seemed like a pretty cool city and department. I don't really have any more insight into the process besides my experience at the written, physical and interview. Hopefully that will help you guys that are going through the process now.

Forum Member

Just curious how everyone scored? What is considered a good score and what's considered a bad scorer. I seen 65 was the cut-off and I scored an 82.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fredbear View Post

Last time there was no "Band A" on the list. Band B and Band C were both interviewed, a total of 214 possible people for about 40 spots. So also work on your interview stuff for sure, I was in Band B (top 47) and didn't move on. I also met a few others at other tests that were in the same band, and are paramedics, that also didn't move on.
    Hey fred, do you happen to know if the band times are published anywhere?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jes82 View Post
    Hey fred, do you happen to know if the band times are published anywhere?
    I don't know of anywhere. About a month after the written and physical test (mine were on the same day, and the last day of testing), they sent out a fairly detailed e-mail but it didn't have the times and I don't recall my overall course time. I scored a 93 on the written test. On the small individual events, I could've done better but I am not sure how they averaged everything in with the written score.

Forum Member

Wow, can't believe you'd be that disrespectful towards someone trying to help you out. I've taken this physical and it's no joke. Let me know when you are taking it so I can see you make a fool of yourself halfway through. This is known around the country as one of the toughest physicals, if not the toughest.

Forum Member

Looks alright. I think the regular CPAT looks tougher. You have a 75lb/50lb weight vest on the whole time. The only sort of hard part about the regular CPAT is the 3:60 on the stairs though.

The Biddle is the toughest test I've seen I think.

Then again, you can do anything for 10 minutes if you put your mind to it.

Not to sound like i'm disrespecting the, "toughest physical exam in the nation"; but I think any regular fire Academy drill or exercise blows that and the CPAT out of the water.

Thread Information