Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paulLepore

Thread: Using current technology

Forum Member

Default Using current technology

I am constantly amazed at how our world has expanded within the last 10 years. Virtually every firefighter has a smart phone and is technologically savvy. It's the rare occasion when a firefighter breaks out a "flip" phone.

In my work world, I have a smart phone. My crews know that they can get me four different way.:
    1. Call my office (least effective because I am always in the field)
    2. Call my cell phone
    3. Email me
    4. Text me

I expect constant communication with my crews. We have a policy that mandates all members to check their email daily when they are on duty. They know that I do not like to be "surprised" by anything that happens within my district. My Officers know how I feel about it and it's a rare day that I get surprised about something.

This is the expectation I have of a Fire Officer is that he or she uses technology in their everyday life. This translates into using technology in their work life. My expectation is that the officer is up to date on all of the resources. This will allow him or her to be able to deliver the latest training, be able to complete departmental evaluations and forms, and to bet utilize preplans and other technology to best do the job.

As an evaluator in a promotional exam, I am aware of the need for promoting officers who at least have a basic understanding of technology. I also believe that someone will be a "project" if they are not. This is why we often include writing exercises or computer based exercises within the promotional process.

I am shocked at the amount of people who contact me regarding promoting in the fire service who are not computer savvy, heck one recently had his wife email me because he "doesn't do emails."

Ladies and gentlemen it's time to get with the times. Our new generation certainly is. While the knock on the new generation is they MAY lack mechanical aptitude and common sense, the knock on our generation is that we are computer illiterate.

There MAY be a little truth in both arguments!
    Last edited by paulLepore; 08-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    fire49 likes this.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

I agree with most points

Sometimes the phone call from someone else beats my contact with my boss.

With the wide variety of ages and technology though, is the fire department responsible for teaching some of the software programs that are out there???

There are people in the service that still remember black and white tv and rabbit ears????

Forum Member

In some cases the fire department is responsible and obligated to teach us about technology. The examples that come to mind are Telestaff (staffing program), RMS (record management system), online CE training.

In essence, the department ha an obligation to teach its members how to use the departmental programs. This however, is not the intent of my original post. My intent was to point out the importance of US learning about technology, at least at a basic level.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Agree 100%. I work for a chief that seemingly doesn't know how to put a subject line on an email. Talk about frustrating when you are trying to archive important communications and search for them.

Thread Information